MEPIS Users Forum Poll

If you are having a problem with logging into the site or with registering, then post under this forum to try to get help, or just use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page to notify the Site Administrators.

Do you like the new Forum?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:27 pm

Yes
53%
Yes, but want a particular feature, (explain)
6%
Will learn to like it with more familiarity
32%
No, prefer old MepisLovers
8%

Total votes: 62

Leo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: MEPIS Users Forum Poll

#21 Postby Leo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:20 am

It's not taking long to get used to, it's just different. Definitely a "yes"...my only "problems" are itty-bitty. Like I said, it took me years to get a few thanks together (eh, a few years more 'taint nothin'), and it would be nice to have the "Mark Forums Read" up top. All in all, a most excellent job...
:clap: :rockon:
There are exceptions to every rule...
and I know I'm exceptional... :lion2:
:linuxlove:
Linux user #415188
Linux machine #446574
Athlon 64 3400+, nVidia FX 5500, 2GB, MX-15

richb
Administrator

#22 Postby richb » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:22 am

Leo wrote:It's not taking long to get used to, it's just different. Definitely a "yes"...my only "problems" are itty-bitty. Like I said, it took me years to get a few thanks together (eh, a few years more 'taint nothin'), and it would be nice to have the "Mark Forums Read" up top. All in all, a most excellent job...
:clap: :rockon:

You got one thanks from me to get you started. ;)
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich

Laptop: Acer V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, Intel graphics, SanDisk SSD, 256GB
Virtualbox: Win 7
Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB

richb
Administrator

#23 Postby richb » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:38 am

carlops wrote:100% yes.

One niggle: I don't like the font in the message box when creating / replying to a post. It is blurry and 'dirty'. If the CSS could be changed to standard 'non-serif' so that the user's default font is picked, that would be nice.

Karen, did you change this? It is the default font for me.
Forum Rules

Rich

Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB

johnboy68
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#24 Postby johnboy68 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:37 am

Gaer Boy wrote:I voted yes, although I could have been a 'Yes, but'. I'm gradually finding my way around the options. I miss seeing the number of unread posts when I login, so I don't have any idea of how long I'll spend cathing up. I find the increased length of the index a bit of a pain - scrolling down to topics takes longer.

I think the user experience is an improvement overall, despite my few niggles.

I see arjaybe has posted similarly while I've been thinking!

Same here.

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#25 Postby Adrian » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:59 am

No problem here with the font in the message box, I wonder if it's not a setting in your browser. Is it the same in all the browsers that you have on your system?

richb
Administrator

#26 Postby richb » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:05 am

Adrian wrote:No problem here with the font in the message box, I wonder if it's not a setting in your browser. Is it the same in all the browsers that you have on your system?

no in Opera it is the default font I set, but in Chrome even though I changed the default font in Preferences it would not change on any web pages. ???
Forum Rules

Rich

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#27 Postby joany » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:17 pm

The learning curve has been a little steep, but the MU Forum is quicker and more responsive than the old ML Forum. After a few days of using the new forum, things are getting easier but I have a long way to go before mastering the BBCode.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

carlops
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#28 Postby carlops » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:39 pm

Adrian wrote:No problem here with the font in the message box, I wonder if it's not a setting in your browser. Is it the same in all the browsers that you have on your system?

Indeed, it looks better in Chrome. Never had the issue on another site in FF, will check settings.

Thx for the tip.

greywolf
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#29 Postby greywolf » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:34 pm

Just put my vote in "Will learn to like it....."

I quite liked the old forum but, at the end of the day, it is ENTIRELY a decision for the people who have to run it to make. It is just a bit of practice to navigate around and check out stuff.

The only comments I would make that affect me in any way are:

- I really would prefer the 'Mark All Read' to be at the top of the Index page somewhere if possible. I always leave the Index page on the first tab and use middle mouse click to open subsequent messages to read. Then just close tabs, Mark As Read and logout. The guys at LinuxMint use phpBB and have it there so maybe someone over there could help with coding or whatever.

- in the Index of posts, I would prefer the Subject of the post to come before the Forum Group details and all to be sorted by date/time. I use forums by logging on and choosing 'View New Posts' since last login, then marking all as read when leaving. I peruse all posts in that category regardless of Group posted to, so topic is more important to me.

Anyway, as said, I will work with whatever you guys decide. It's the content I am more interested in.

Cheers,
greywolf.
It is about the Dragons - it was always about the Dragons!

richb
Administrator

#30 Postby richb » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:03 pm

greywolf wrote:Just put my vote in "Will learn to like it....."

I quite liked the old forum but, at the end of the day, it is ENTIRELY a decision for the people who have to run it to make. It is just a bit of practice to navigate around and check out stuff.

The only comments I would make that affect me in any way are:

- I really would prefer the 'Mark All Read' to be at the top of the Index page somewhere if possible. I always leave the Index page on the first tab and use middle mouse click to open subsequent messages to read. Then just close tabs, Mark As Read and logout. The guys at LinuxMint use phpBB and have it there so maybe someone over there could help with coding or whatever.

- in the Index of posts, I would prefer the Subject of the post to come before the Forum Group details and all to be sorted by date/time. I use forums by logging on and choosing 'View New Posts' since last login, then marking all as read when leaving. I peruse all posts in that category regardless of Group posted to, so topic is more important to me.

Anyway, as said, I will work with whatever you guys decide. It's the content I am more interested in.

Cheers,
greywolf.

Thanks for the comments.

Mark forums Read at the top is on our todo list.

Trying to understand your second comment. I am not sure what you are referring to. Can you post a screenshot? Post ordering can be controlled in your User Control Panel, Board preferences, Edit display options, You can set ascending or descending.
Forum Rules

Rich

Return to “Site Help”