MEPIS Users Forum Poll

If you are having a problem with logging into the site or with registering, then post under this forum to try to get help, or just use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page to notify the Site Administrators.

Do you like the new Forum?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:27 pm

Yes
53%
Yes, but want a particular feature, (explain)
6%
Will learn to like it with more familiarity
32%
No, prefer old MepisLovers
8%

Total votes: 62

greywolf
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: MEPIS Users Forum Poll

#31 Postby greywolf » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:24 am

Trying to understand your second comment. I am not sure what you are referring to. Can you post a screenshot? Post ordering can be controlled in your User Control Panel, Board preferences, Edit display options, You can set ascending or descending.

It was a bit confusing wasn't it? :confused: Too much information for what I was trying to say.

It's not a problem as such, I just don't (yet) understand why some topics are listed like (for example):

"In Newbies - followed by topic"; and others seem to be

"Topic - followed by In Newbies" ? ; and

yet others start with "Go to page numbers of some sort??

As I say, it is probably just me missing something as I have only just started looking through stuff, but, when I have only a brief time to browse through the new posts to see if I can help with something, it would just be a little easier if all the topics got listed the same way. I wasn't trying to say the sort order stuff wasn't working - just saying how I do things.

Nothing more than that - no big deal at all. Personally I think the move to phpBB is a really solid one. Thanks again for the efforts.

Cheers,
greywolf.
It is about the Dragons - it was always about the Dragons!

Racewalker
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#32 Postby Racewalker » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:05 am

I chose will get used to it. I never had much problem in chrome and now have to learn where everything is. took a while to find were to turn on signature etc. It is coming around.
Richard Bonebrake
Ultra Marathon Walker
Mepis 8.5 64bit, Dell Inspiron 1721, AMD Turion 64 X 2 Laptop. Mepis 8.5 64 bit, home built, AMD Athlon 64 X 4 Desktop, Mepis 8.5 32 bit, Dell mini 9

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#33 Postby Adrian » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:09 am

This forum is getting better and better, I find it that I post much more than on the other one.

Prepare for good changes to the index page :grin:

dsptech
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#34 Postby dsptech » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:11 am

greywolf wrote:Just put my vote in "Will learn to like it....."
- I really would prefer the 'Mark All Read' to be at the top of the Index page somewhere if possible. I always leave the Index page on the first tab and use middle mouse click to open subsequent messages to read. Then just close tabs, Mark As Read and logout.
greywolf.

Ditto for me.

I would also like to be able to change the color theme as well.

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#35 Postby GuiGuy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:51 pm

I suppose I will get used to it because I have to. :eek:

I particularly miss threaded view and "show all unread posts since your last login".

The old forum was not perfect, but for me this one is worse.

richb
Administrator

#36 Postby richb » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:02 pm

GuiGuy wrote:I suppose I will get used to it because I have to. :eek:

I particularly miss threaded view and "show all unread posts since your last login".

The old forum was not perfect, but for me this one is worse.

"View new posts" shows new posts since your last logon. Not quite the same. And "View unread posts" shows all unread posts.
For what it is worth, my process, (if I were not an admin or mod, since I read all posts), would be to View unread posts when I logon. Read those I want. Then "Mark all forums read". Then next time I logon repeat the process. That way you are sure to see all unread posts and only those you want to read.

Respectfully, I think it is a matter of learning how things work here. Frankly, I find it much easier to use and get what I need.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich

Laptop: Acer V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, Intel graphics, SanDisk SSD, 256GB
Virtualbox: Win 7
Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB

dark-D

#37 Postby dark-D » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:29 pm

i'm with greywolf for the recent topics. the line should be topic name - category - author - date - pages. in other words the screenshot from the right to the left.
screenshot10.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the man in black

richb
Administrator

#38 Postby richb » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:25 pm

ICE-M wrote:i'm with greywolf for the recent topics. the line should be topic name - category - author - date - pages. in other words the screenshot from the right to the left.
screenshot10.png

Well that is a preference. I find it more logical as it is. And we cannot accommodate all preferences.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich

Laptop: Acer V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, Intel graphics, SanDisk SSD, 256GB
Virtualbox: Win 7
Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB

Davo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#39 Postby Davo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:50 am

Voted: Yes. It has been somewhat of a learning curve (switching from old to new) ...but there are many, many new features to appreciate. Some particular feature may not be present,
but remember ...this forum is ours to use (and browse) ...only because of the (mostly thankless) work of the people who host it, run it and administer it.
Anything that makes their workload easier to manage is welcome to me. By all accounts, phpbb3 is a significant step forward in that regard ...and open-source to boot.

Since this new forum has gone online last week, a huge amount of usability stuff has additionally already been added to make it more *usable* ....so feedback also seems to be encouraged.
I'm already convinced that this new forum layout will continue to be a prime source of good solid info re:impending Mepis releases, any issues encountered, tips and tricks etc ...plus the usual general info

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#40 Postby lucky9 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:08 am

I use the New posts choice first also. I usually only need to do that, read all of them (I wish I could get to the last page or post that I had already read), then click it again. After reading any that show up then, I click Unread posts. When/if things get unwieldy I Mark forums read.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Site Help”