Need suggestions for good Hard Drive repair tools

If you are having a problem with getting any of your computer's hardware to work with MEPIS or you can't find the right driver, this is the forum to use. It's for newbies and regular users to post questions. Just make sure to post what hardware you are having problems with, in the subject and not just in the post's text area, please.
lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Need suggestions for good Hard Drive repair tools

#11 Postby lucky9 » Fri May 25, 2012 3:55 pm

That's the reason for using the manufacturer's tools for a thorough diagnosis and fix. Their tools will save a lot of hard disk replacements.
For a simple LLF the zero-wipe is all that's needed. You end up with a clean hard disk 'down to the metal' as they say. Which always gives a better foundation to build on.

I should mention that a modern IDE has ongoing statistical information that it uses to mark a bad sector so as not to use it again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_forma ... hard_disks
various drive manufacturers describe reinitialization software as LLF utilities on their web sites.

I tend to give the manufacturer rights as to what to call it.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

JBoman
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Need suggestions for good Hard Drive repair tools

#12 Postby JBoman » Wed May 30, 2012 1:05 am

Thank you everyone for the helpful replies. I ended up following JimCs' suggestions mostly and found most of it included on UBCD; unfortunatly neither drive was salvagable. Thanks again, Jerry :needcoffee:
http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram MX-15 regular updates
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"

Return to “Hardware General”