Looking for DVD brand opinions

If you are having a problem with getting any of your computer's hardware to work with MEPIS or you can't find the right driver, this is the forum to use. It's for newbies and regular users to post questions. Just make sure to post what hardware you are having problems with, in the subject and not just in the post's text area, please.
DBeckett
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Looking for DVD brand opinions

#1 Postby DBeckett » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:44 pm

I'm interested to know what brands of DVD media have been found to be dependable. Verbatim had a good rep once upon a time, but I don't know if that still holds true. I bought a small pack of Maxell at my local Mart not long ago for a very cheap price. What a mistake that was. I threw away several of them immediately for obvious physical defects.

Just curious what brands people here like and use.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

chrispop99
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Looking for DVD brand opinions

#2 Postby chrispop99 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:55 pm

I've used 300+ Infiniti in recent times, and never had a failure.

I think a lot depends on the burner however. Some media might work fine on one burner, yet fail in another.

Chris
Test machines:
Gigabyte Z77P-D3, Intel i3-3220, GeForce 8400 GS, 4GB PC3-12800.
DELL Latitude D630 laptop, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB PC2-5300.
IBM Thinkpad T41 laptop, 1.6GHz Pentium M (Non-PAE), 1GB RAM, 30GB PATA SSD.

j2mcgreg
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Postby j2mcgreg » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:09 pm

I generally use Memorex -R DVDs and haven't had a problem with them yet. I buy them primarily based on price -- $15 for a spindle of 50 discs. I have also used TDK and Verbatim with simarly good results. I also strongly suspect that DVDs in general are almost all made by just a few OEMs and that the ony real difference between brands is the label.
Acer Aspire 5742: Intel i3 M370, Intel HD graphics, 4 GB ram, 500 GB hdd, Broadcom wireless n adapter

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Postby uncle mark » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:57 pm

DBeckett wrote:.
I'm interested to know what brands of DVD media have been found to be dependable. Verbatim had a good rep once upon a time, but I don't know if that still holds true. I bought a small pack of Maxell at my local Mart not long ago for a very cheap price. What a mistake that was. I threw away several of them immediately for obvious physical defects.

Just curious what brands people here like and use.

We buy Maxell on sale at Office Depot in pretty large quantities and don't have any problems to speak of. Their house brand have been fine for us for CDs, too.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

DBeckett
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Postby DBeckett » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:08 pm

Once I realized there was a problem with verification I went through the whole stack under a magnifier light. The ones that survived inspection seem to work just fine. The others had small but easily noticeable blotches on the underside. Stuff happens I guess.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Postby timkb4cq » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:15 pm

Somebody in our neighborhood threw away 2 100pk bricks of unbranded DVDs which K3B recognizes as Sony DVD-R 2x speed. They work very well in my Samsung & LG drives. It will be quite a while before I use those up.

Over the years, I've found that all the brands are pretty good when matched with the right drive but some combinations of drive & media brands don't work well at all. You might get a more meaningful answer if you specify the DVD drive you use.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

JBoman
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Postby JBoman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:26 pm

Phillips DVD+R 16x here in 50 packs. This is my second 50 pack and have had no failures to date and I always verify. Usually find them cheaper than some others. :turtle: Jerry
http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram MX-15 regular updates
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Postby lucky9 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:30 pm

The best media is manufactured in Japan. Mitsubishi and Tayo Yuden are the most widely available manufacturers. Next best is manufactured in Tiawan.

If you can find them (I buy online nowadays) I recommend either of the above. Currently Verbatim DataLifePlus (Mitsubishi) is the easiest to find for me. I use NewEgg but there are online retailers that specialize in media that will save some money.

I used to buy Maxell CD-Pro (Tayo Yuden) at Walmart but they quit handling it. Besides I use DVD-R as my default media now.

I wouldn't buy anything from India, Malaysia, or anywhere else. Only Tiawan or Japan. With Japan preferred by a wide margin.
There is a new manufacturer in the Middle East, I want to say Abu Dabi but it could be one of the other small States there, that is decent media. Based on Tayo Yuden technologies I think.

Note that the main differences in media is longevity. Testing will show a pretty big difference in quality of burn also.
Normally LiteOn drives (they make a lot of drives for other people) will give a quality burn on the widest selection of media. They also keep their firmware more up to date.

If I buy locally I buy Maxell or Verbatim. Verbatim by choice.

For some data: http://club.myce.com/ has a good forum. It used to be cdfreaks.com but widened its audience a few years ago to include about everything electronic.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Postby uncle mark » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:43 pm

lucky9 wrote:Normally LiteOn drives (they make a lot of drives for other people) will give a quality burn on the widest selection of media. They also keep their firmware more up to date.

That may explain my lack of difficulties. That's the only drive brand I use anymore, whether it be my home machines or those at my workplace.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Postby Eadwine Rose » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:52 pm

As for RW I hold dear to Philips, where verbatim honestly sucks. Often errors out, can't be formatted, rewritten or anything. If it can be read I'm lucky. I have had several from friends, all crapped out.

As for burners, Lite-on or Plextor, both have lasted for me for years. In fact, the burners thus far have outlived my computers! I am STILL using the Plextor burner that was in my old system, bought that burner in.. oh dear.. must have been ten years ago?
MX-15_x64 Fusion 24 Dec 2015 ext4 Xfce 4.12.2 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GeForce GT640-1GD5-L * AMD Processor Athlon II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB (VT1708S Analog) * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingston * 22" Samsung SyncMaster P2250 * HP DeskJet F2280

Return to “Hardware General”