Worn out hardware?

If you are having a problem with getting any of your computer's hardware to work with MEPIS or you can't find the right driver, this is the forum to use. It's for newbies and regular users to post questions. Just make sure to post what hardware you are having problems with, in the subject and not just in the post's text area, please.
uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Worn out hardware?

#11 Postby uncle mark » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:46 am

fbt wrote:I'm sure I don't have one, but what is a PSU? Do you mean a power supply? Right now I'm suspecting the video card. I may pull it and see how the onboard video does. The video card is the oldest component, except for the floppy drive. So I'm hoping I can get a cheap card and fix it and probably get better video performance too. Like I said, I have a laptop (except it has Chakra on it now) and it is actually faster then my old desktop. So I'm kind of putting it off for now.

Yes, I mean power supply.

Hardware diags are more a process of elimination than anything else, and can be especially difficulty with intermittent problems. Many times I go by "smell and feel" until I get to the bottom of it. Eliminating the video card would be one option. My experience and your symptoms make me "smell" a funky PSU, but the only way to find out for sure is to swap it out and see what happens.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

Return to “Hardware General”