MEPIS Community Forum

A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
cdrecord has no permission to open this device. 
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 68 times
Post # 297966
Post cdrecord has no permission to open this device.
KB3 trying to burn a disk... I have a newer problem on two different computers, both running a 64-bit version of Mepis 11, fully updated. This has only been a recent occurence, previously I would get a DVD coaster once in a Blue moon.

I can start the system and burn one DVD, and trying to burn a second DVD Iget this error 80% of the time:
Code:
cdrecord has no permission to open this device

It has only been an annoyance recently, but today I have failed to burn 7 disks. Not to worry it was only time, & media trying to make a back up of files from a Win7 system that is so infected it takes all day to boot off line...

Family and friends photos and some home video files...

But I could not burn his files to DVD. I tried another file, and have same error message. Shut down system, rebooted and managed to write two DVDs, before error message appeared. Maybe the drive is failing? I shut down system and stole a optical drive from another system, and have same error message 3 of 4 times. Maybe i have a batch of bad media (purchased last year). Got a disk from neighbors, and same error. Took a third drive from another system, and same error on third disk I started to burn.

Easy, maybe it is the software in this system, moved the files (2) to another Mepis 11 system, Try to burn and get a error:
Code:
cdrecord has no permission to open this device

I changed the optical drive and burned a disk full, and then had failure. I changed the drive again, and get an error... Put original drive in and it burns a disk, then tried another and get the error. I am perplexed what is happening...
1. Lots of bad media?
2. Drive failing, would be odd they were all failing - It could happen - Maybe i should by a lotto ticket today and get one of the 176,000,000,000 estimated tickets to be sold, trying to win 600 million before taxes?
3. A Mepis update several weeks ago changed something in both systems?

Suggestions welcome!

JR

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:11 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 873 times
Post # 297969
Post Re: cdrecord has no permission to open this device.
namida12 wrote:
1. Lots of bad media?
2. Drive failing, would be odd they were all failing - It could happen - Maybe i should by a lotto ticket today and get one of the 176,000,000,000 estimated tickets to be sold, trying to win 600 million before taxes?
3. A Mepis update several weeks ago changed something in both systems?

Suggestions welcome!

You seem to have addressed all the variables except one -- the files themselves.

I've run into a situation once a long time ago that for whatever reason the file would not burn to disk for nothing. It made no sense, but that was the onl;y conclusion I could come to. Can you burn other files but not those from the infected machine?

Could you back up to USB instead of burning to disk?

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:03 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 297971
Uncle Mark,

I think we have all had that experience, however this is not the case.

I have managed to restart the system and burn one DVD, 10 in all 40+ Gigs and they all burned, but I also have 11 coasters and about 5 earlier. Last year I paid about 10 cents a DVD, catching them on sale, but now the discount supply is asking 20 or 25 for generic DVD/s and I am making coaster lots of them with three separate optical drives in two different computers... Tis odd, tis odd indeed..

Since I can normally start the system and burn one, but fail on the second or third try, could it be the swap, or cashe that is the problem? I am not certain what to do next...

I found this old thread: http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=87617

wonder Is anyone else having simular problems? I will order a new optical disk to see if it is the odds, against me, as in lotto winnings.

Thanks for your quick reply

JR

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:08 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 297972
namida12 wrote:
Thanks for your quick reply

You're welcome. Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Quote:
trying to make a back up of files from a Win7 system that is so infected it takes all day to boot off line...

LOL! Fun, fun.

My advice, fwiw: set 'em up with Microsoft Security Essentials (free) and Malwarebytes Pro ($25 lifetime).

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:11 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 297973
Uncle Mark,

For all Microsoft installs there is only one solution, maybe two: Toss system out the 8 floor window towards locked courtyard, or fire up software: dban after cleansing install Mepis... This one will become a Mepis 11.0.12 install as the owner can not seems to avoid clicking on fancy Icons they discover on numerous websites...

Off Topic: Forgot to add, sometimes a user is painted into a corner, and must use propriety win only software (Real Estate is almost that genre). Put that win system in a corner far away from any online connection, use the software and then return to a safe system for any on-line work. Never put a Microsoft system on-line and then it may be safe for a few years...

We have an important military base not far to the North, and their hardened Microsoft systems managed to get infected. Seems they could not get them clean, with many smart high dollar individuals tackling the insurmountable problem.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/12 ... ux_switch/

JR

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:27 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 297974
namida12 wrote:
For all Microsoft installs there is only one solution, maybe two: Toss system out the 8 floor window towards locked courtyard, or fire up software: dban after cleansing install Mepis...

Then how will they get any real work done?

Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:48 pm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 11 times
Post # 297975
I am having this same problem so I just quit using Mepis 11 to try to burn disks none of the suggestions given in K3b Setup System Permissions worked so, I now only burn the DVD's on my Debian Lenny machine and have no problems.

I seems something has changed in K3b because I have had no problems before on Mepis 11 burning DVD's.

KDE 4.5.1
2.6.36-1-mepis64-smp

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:01 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 859 times
Post # 297980
I guess I'd better buy a lottery ticket, I've never had a failure to burn a CD or DVD using K3b. Not ever. If I go back far enough I might find a failure due to media. That time I had a brand new cake box of 50 DVDs. Not my usual brand or manufacturer. I had a failure and then another. Turned out that if I turned over the media there was a wide scruffed place (about an eighth of an inch wide and a half inch long on the outside edge) on the top three disks. None of those three were usable.

Running (mostly) Mepis 11.0.00 64 fully updated with the default repositories.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:39 pm
Administrator

Have thanks: 1410 times
Post # 297981
Same here lucky9. I cannot remember ever having a failure since and including Mepis 3.4.3 and K3b.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:43 pm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 11 times
Post # 297982
lucky9 wrote:
I guess I'd better buy a lottery ticket, I've never had a failure to burn a CD or DVD using K3b. Not ever. If I go back far enough I might find a failure due to media. That time I had a brand new cake box of 50 DVDs. Not my usual brand or manufacturer. I had a failure and then another. Turned out that if I turned over the media there was a wide scruffed place (about an eighth of an inch wide and a half inch long on the outside edge) on the top three disks. None of those three were usable.

Running (mostly) Mepis 11.0.00 64 fully updated with the default repositories.

Not my problem this started to occur with the same box of DVD's I had been using without problems and I inspect the disks before I put them in the drive to make sure that they are free of dust and scratches or accidental finger prints.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next