Facebook Redirect Virus

Here users can ask questions about security and tutorials about security can be posted to help others, too.
richb
Administrator

Re: Facebook Redirect Virus

#11 Postby richb » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:48 pm

I do not see why it is ridiculous. I agree they can be a useful tool if properly used.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich

Laptop: Acer V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, Intel graphics, SanDisk SSD, 256GB
Virtualbox: Win 7
Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB

DBeckett
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Postby DBeckett » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:11 pm

richb wrote:I do not see why it is ridiculous.

Not every household can afford an iPad per kid in school.
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, AMD FX-6100 hex-core, 3.3GHz, 8G, Radeon HD6570

GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#13 Postby GoManutd » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:18 pm

most schools are buying them... some buy and keep them at school. other districts buy them, give them to kids - it's theirs to keep. obviously, there is an agreement in place about loss, damage, etc. that the parents have to adhere to. but, in many ways, this can be cheaper than a computer... textbooks are digital, no physical networking, etc. kids get a computer for home - many kids can't afford one.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#14 Postby lucky9 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:21 am

After the fiasco concerning using laptop cameras to 'check up' on students at home......

And the 'ridiculous' was because of the cost. They're laying off teachers around here because of funds being short.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

richb
Administrator

#15 Postby richb » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:01 am

DBeckett wrote:
richb wrote:I do not see why it is ridiculous.

Not every household can afford an iPad per kid in school.

How does that make it ridiculous?

After the fiasco concerning using laptop cameras to 'check up' on students at home......

I do not see the relevance of this.

And the 'ridiculous' was because of the cost. They're laying off teachers around here because of funds being short.

So it is an issue of how resources are spent, which is an arguable point, and one would need to draw a connection between teacher layoffs and purchasing ipads with data support.
Forum Rules

Rich

Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB

Roadblock
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#16 Postby Roadblock » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:27 am

Allowing children access to ANYTHING without proper adult supervision is like playing Russian roulette with our most precious resource. There's nothing wrong with our children that a little proper parenting can't fix.

Before anyone says anything, I realize that I am a dinosaur. I don't apologize for it though. ;)
"Don't whiz on my leg, then tell me it's raining.."
Processor=AMD Sempron 64 3100+ Palermo 1.8GHz
Memory=2@1024 MB DDR
Monitor=Hanns-G 19" Flat Panel
Graphics=NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

richb
Administrator

#17 Postby richb » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:44 am

Roadblock wrote:Allowing children access to ANYTHING without proper adult supervision is like playing Russian roulette with our most precious resource. There's nothing wrong with our children that a little proper parenting can't fix.

Before anyone says anything, I realize that I am a dinosaur. I don't apologize for it though. ;)

I think there are two different discussions going on.One is the advisability of using technology in schools and the other is monitoring children's use of that technology. Related but not the same discussion. One can support the use of technology and strict monitoring at the same time.
Forum Rules

Rich

Roadblock
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#18 Postby Roadblock » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:23 am

I totally agree, technology in and of it's self is neither good nor evil. As always, it's how the user uses it. My remark was based on and in agreement with GoManutd's original comment. ;)

simple fact is this... kids shouldn't be using computers unless they and the computer screen are in direct line of sight of an adult...
"Don't whiz on my leg, then tell me it's raining.."
Processor=AMD Sempron 64 3100+ Palermo 1.8GHz
Memory=2@1024 MB DDR
Monitor=Hanns-G 19" Flat Panel
Graphics=NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#19 Postby lucky9 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:03 am

I think it's a leap to think that I was against the use of technology in schools. Technology may well save our schools. As for cost, I think they should be donated by the manufacturers.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

eppoh
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#20 Postby eppoh » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:19 pm

I'm reviving this thread to ask a question about the latest security threat to Facebook. I know nothing about security, which is why we have used linux for the past 10 years at home.. with zero problems.

I heard a report recently about how some facebook accounts are being taken over by the user inadvertently installing some browser addons that come disguised as some free offers or other such enticements. Once the browser add on is installed, it allows the villain access to your account.

The computer our kids and my wife use is in the kitchen, and for 10 years we have never had any security problems. Now I wonder since browsers are not so OS dependent, is this a threat to linux users?

My wife has a FB account and uses it often with her family in another country.
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Return to “Security”