Post plugging holes in Windows that government was using
http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+Aims ... e24866.htm

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:40 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 376 times
Post # 301124
Post Re: plugging holes in Windows that government was using
i know it always warms my heart to know that the navy invested so much time and effort in their COTS program to incorporate windows into large platform, mission critical weapons systems :frustrated:

Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:30 am
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 73 times
Post # 301128
Or maybe, it is the fake chips from China, put in the mission critical weapons system. :eek:

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:10 am
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Post # 301129
actually, they're real chips - it's the all the unknown potential backdoors in the firmware that keep security folks up at night

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:14 am
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 632 times
Post # 301130
Quote:
But Flame illustrated deeper underlying security issues for Windows, in that Microsoft feared that copycats could tamper with the Windows Update process to prevent its potential removal. Some malware authors have been finding ways to literally "turn off" Windows Update, preventing fixes and patches from reach affected machines.

Quote:
The company writes that it plans on "hardening" WU, commenting:

To increase protection for customers, the next action of our mitigation strategy is to further harden Windows Update as a defense-in-depth precaution. We will begin this update following broad adoption of Security Advisory 2718704 in order not to interfere with that update’s worldwide deployment. We will provide more information on the timing of the additional hardening to Windows Update in the near future.

My daughter, who uses Windows 7, recently got one of these on her computer:

She shut down her computer, but it wouldn't shut down completely until Windows Update had installed a bunch of updates, which took over 10 minutes. When she restarted her computer, it completed booting into a screen with just her wallpaper: No desktop icons, no task bar, no start menu, and no way to start any applications. The only thing she could do was re-install Windows from the rescue disk, losing all her data and apps. (No, despite her mom's preaching, she doesn't back up her system.)

So much for the value of Windows Update. She now has it turned off.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:26 am
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 139 times
Post # 301131
GoManutd wrote:
actually, they're real chips - it's the all the unknown potential backdoors in the firmware that keep security folks up at night

I vividly recall much tecno chatter from years back when it was announced by intel that beginning with pentium 4 and all future chips would be made with built-in backdoors. At the time the announcement boosted the sales of amd chips significantly because at least at the time amd had no intentions of building their chips with backdoors.... or so we were told anyway. :bagoverhead:

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:51 am
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Post # 301132
intel and amd may not knowingly be building backdoors, but it's all the 3d party vendors that supply chips to the likes of intel, amd, ibm, etc. that are of real concern.

there's always going to be vulnerabilities, the difference with firmware/hardware related stuff is being able to test it all. realistically, there isn't a method for doing so. software you can always fingerprint, do pattern recognition, etc. but with firmware/hardware the stuff can lay dormant for years and only be triggered under very specific, unknown inputs.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:57 am
Administrator

Have thanks: 1370 times
Post # 301133
joany wrote:
Quote:
But Flame illustrated deeper underlying security issues for Windows, in that Microsoft feared that copycats could tamper with the Windows Update process to prevent its potential removal. Some malware authors have been finding ways to literally "turn off" Windows Update, preventing fixes and patches from reach affected machines.

Quote:
The company writes that it plans on "hardening" WU, commenting:

To increase protection for customers, the next action of our mitigation strategy is to further harden Windows Update as a defense-in-depth precaution. We will begin this update following broad adoption of Security Advisory 2718704 in order not to interfere with that update’s worldwide deployment. We will provide more information on the timing of the additional hardening to Windows Update in the near future.

My daughter, who uses Windows 7, recently got one of these on her computer:

She shut down her computer, but it wouldn't shut down completely until Windows Update had installed a bunch of updates, which took over 10 minutes. When she restarted her computer, it completed booting into a screen with just her wallpaper: No desktop icons, no task bar, no start menu, and no way to start any applications. The only thing she could do was re-install Windows from the rescue disk, losing all her data and apps. (No, despite her mom's preaching, she doesn't back up her system.)

It has been very uneventful for me. Less obtrusive than Vista updates, and no issues.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:31 am
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 632 times
Post # 301135
richb wrote:
It has been very uneventful for me. Less obtrusive than Vista updates, and no issues.

Yes, the auto-updates are uneventful most of the time. But some of them can be troublesome, as my daughter found out.

On my WinXP setup I found the safest way to install upgrades was to do them manually: I checked Microsoft's security alerts, made a note of the patches that needed to be installed, waited about 2 weeks until Microsoft worked out all the bugs, and then installed them myself one patch at a time (making sure to back up everything first).

It's true my upgrade method left my system unpatched for some time, but it usually takes Microsoft several weeks to identify and fix zero-day exploits while they're on the loose anyway. In the case of Flame, it took them several years to figure out what had happened, and AFAIK they still don't have a fix.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:11 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 858 times
Post # 301136
richb wrote:
joany wrote:

The whole Windows Update mechanism is a cobbled together kludge. When it breaks, it breaks bad.

IMO, the single best thing that Linux has going for it is it's system for package management. I remember being totally blown away by Synaptic, once it finally dawned on me how it worked in a big picture sense -- which did take a bit of a "Eureka" moment.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next