MEPIS Community Forum

A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
No Sound After Update 

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 207537
Post No Sound After Update
I have lost sound in both of my laptops (Asus Z33A and Lenovo U110) after updating recently via synaptic. When given the option of keeping or replacing files, I chose replace, which is my usual choice. Now I'm wondering if that is the cause of my problem. I couldn't really make heads or tails of the difference between the files when I checked.

This is frustrating. I like to update frequently to keep things secure, but I don't expect doing so will compromise stability.

Tried going back to the old snd-hda-intel.conf file on the Asus. Doing so caused a very loud high pitched squeal during the reboot. Woke up everyone in the house before I could force a power down with the button. Needless to say I won't be messing with that anymore tonight and I'm quite reluctant to try anything on this one (Lenovo).

Seems I'm not alone with this problem, so I'll be monitoring this forum to see what works for others. In the meantime, I'm eager for suggestions.

Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:16 am
Profile WWW
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1669 times
Post # 207545
Does the Asus have an internal microphone? If so, that was probably feedback squeal from the microphone input being jacked up to the max and the speakers, so that was expected, and the sound was working...maybe plug in some headphones, repeat the experiment, and lower the mike input slider(s) and the boost. I have had this happen to me....

Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:51 am

Post # 207589
Yes, that was it. So lowering the levels removed the squeal, but sound is still not working.

Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:12 pm
Profile WWW

Post # 207596
Post Solved w/ # alsa force-reload
Solved!

Solved the problem with this command:

# alsa force-reload

Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]