No Sound After Update

Problems with your sound card are to be posted here, as well as tutorials to share with others.
nlkrause

No Sound After Update

#1 Postby nlkrause » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:16 am

I have lost sound in both of my laptops (Asus Z33A and Lenovo U110) after updating recently via synaptic. When given the option of keeping or replacing files, I chose replace, which is my usual choice. Now I'm wondering if that is the cause of my problem. I couldn't really make heads or tails of the difference between the files when I checked.

This is frustrating. I like to update frequently to keep things secure, but I don't expect doing so will compromise stability.

Tried going back to the old snd-hda-intel.conf file on the Asus. Doing so caused a very loud high pitched squeal during the reboot. Woke up everyone in the house before I could force a power down with the button. Needless to say I won't be messing with that anymore tonight and I'm quite reluctant to try anything on this one (Lenovo).

Seems I'm not alone with this problem, so I'll be monitoring this forum to see what works for others. In the meantime, I'm eager for suggestions.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#2 Postby Stevo » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:51 am

Does the Asus have an internal microphone? If so, that was probably feedback squeal from the microphone input being jacked up to the max and the speakers, so that was expected, and the sound was working...maybe plug in some headphones, repeat the experiment, and lower the mike input slider(s) and the boost. I have had this happen to me....
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

James Branch Cabell

nlkrause

#3 Postby nlkrause » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:12 pm

Yes, that was it. So lowering the levels removed the squeal, but sound is still not working.

nlkrause

Solved w/ # alsa force-reload

#4 Postby nlkrause » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:32 pm

Solved!

Solved the problem with this command:

# alsa force-reload

Return to “Sound”