MEPIS Community Forum

A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
A list of sound cards fully compatible with 8.5? 
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 225113
Post A list of sound cards fully compatible with 8.5?
I was wondering if I could get your recommendations for sound cards that you know are 100% working perfectly with 8.5?

A brief background to my question, recently I installed Mepis 8.5 but unfortunately I discovered that the sound was all messed up... since then I've tried several recent releases from other distros and they also had major sound problems and when I was able to get music to play it was very badly distorted, so I can now rule it out as being just a Mepis problem, but a problem nonetheless.

It was then it hit me that they had one thing in common... all the distros with broken sound have a recent kernel ending in .31 or .32 while in Mepis 8.0 and all distros I've tried in the past that use an older kernel, the sound works perfectly.

It makes me wonder if whoever develops the kernel has focused on ensuring compatibility with integrated sound card solutions, which seem to be the norm these days, and lost sight of the effect any developments might have had on older previously working dedicated sound cards... but that's just conjecture.

Anyway if anyone has some recommendations for a new sound card it would be appreciated. :-)

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:58 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 1706 times
Post # 229129
I just had to buy a new card for my jukebox computer.
I had a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card which worked well with 2.4 series kernels and which plays fine in 2.6 kernels but won't record. I needed to do some recording again hence the new card.

I picked up a Sound Blaster Audigy SE at CompUSA for about $30 which has 24bit recording and works well with MEPIS 8.5

If you're not in a hurry you can find them on EBay for about 1/2 that price (when you include the shipping).

Kmix may not include all the channels you need to adjust in its default display, but they can easily be selected in the Kmix settings menu.

Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]