A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
how do you "remove" a sound card? "resolved" 
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1541 times
Post # 280695
Post Re: how do you "remove" a sound card?
Savvy, could you please post the content of /etc/modprobe.d/snd-hda-intel

32bit, 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae, MX-14, AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core, Dell SP2309W with integrated webcam, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE, 4 GB DDR2

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:47 am

Jerry3904 thanked by: savvy_cowgirl
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 610 times
Post # 280701
I have a different sound card. When I installed and logged in the first time, a window popped up that said kde has detected two sound cards, which one do you want to use? Having only one sound card, I picked one and sound worked.
From this thread I guess the question isn't always asked.
Hdmi is in my system settings/ Phonon, it's working without deleting that one.
Do you get the blue box with settings tried by Phonon when hovering over the sound cards with the cursor? Any useful information in them?
Henry

Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:50 am

Utopia thanked by: savvy_cowgirl
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 135 times
Post # 280725
Savvy - another thought (I might also try this when I get home later today)

The difference between 8.x and 11 (besides newer libs, kernel etc) is that Warren has included the proprietary video drivers working OOTB. I also have an HDMI enabled video card (GTX260). I hadn't though of this before - but I lost sound on video related issues (youtube / movies) - could be related to the video driver?

Maybe use sgfxi to reinstall the video drivers (ie stop Warrens implementation)?

Like I said, I might try this with a spare partition - and just see if it solves the problem. Long-shot - but worth trying?

Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:49 pm

Brooko thanked by: savvy_cowgirl
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Have thanks: 22 times
Post # 280758
Jerry3904 wrote:

I don't have one....... :shy:

I have /etc/modprobe.d/sound
alias snd-card-0 snd-opl3sa2
alias sound-slot-0 snd-opl3sa2
options snd-opl3sa2 fm_port=-1 midi_port=-1 port=0x370 wss_port=0x530 isapnp=0 dma1=1 dma2=0 irq=5

and I have a etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:

# autoloader aliases
install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0
install sound-slot-1 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-1
install sound-slot-2 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-2
install sound-slot-3 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-3
install sound-slot-4 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-4
install sound-slot-5 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-5
install sound-slot-6 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-6
install sound-slot-7 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-7
# Cause optional modules to be loaded above generic modules
install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-ioctl32 ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-seq ; }
install snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-seq-midi ; : ; }
install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-emu10k1-synth ; : ; }

# Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0
options bt87x index=-2
options cx88_alsa index=-2
options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
# Keep snd-pcsp from beeing loaded as first soundcard
options snd-pcsp index=-2
# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
options snd-usb-audio index=-2

I don't understand what it means, because none of it says anything about the HMDI, or the STAC92xx.
According to the alsawiki, for trouble shooting I should ask it to list devices with aplay -L, I get this:
aplay -L
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
hdmi:CARD=Generic
HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
HDMI Audio Output
default:CARD=Generic_1
HD-Audio Generic, STAC92xx Analog
Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0
7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers

Then I should ask it to play a sound file via command line, which I chose the front:CARD=Generic_1,DEV=0 because it was closest to the example given, so less chance of mistakes. It did it, it played the sound file I directed it to. Then it says to make sure alsa is installed as modules and not in the kernel, ummmmm, dunno. Then it says to check /proc/asound/version.........um, I don't have one of those either. Then I'm suppose to "check that the ALSA drivers are installed and have recognized your card. Make sure that /proc/asound/cards lists your card, as card number zero" I don't have a /proc/asound/cards either.........
This is suppose to tell me the name and type of my chip set lspci | egrep -i audio
00:01.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Device 1714
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson Azalia Controller (rev 01)
Then I should check /dev/sndstat and see if there is an Alsa emulation line and if my cards are listed there. Um, yes on both?
Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.24 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux daisy 2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-686 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Wed Jun 29 18:09:36 PDT 2011 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
HD-Audio Generic at 0xf0544000 irq 43
HD-Audio Generic at 0xf0540000 irq 16

Audio devices:
1: STAC92xx Analog (DUPLEX)

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Timers:
31: system timer

Mixers:
0: ATI R6xx HDMI
1: IDT 92HD81B1X5

So I've really been trying to use the wiki links, but now I'm to the part where they are talking about compiling stuff.
On the bright side, since I installed the vlc from testing, 1.1.11-1mcr, I now have a pcm slider listed in kmix! No sound on youtube, but amarok sounds really good! VLC still can't play the same file, giving the same error message about updating.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:07 am
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Post # 280759
Utopia wrote:
I have a different sound card. When I installed and logged in the first time, a window popped up that said kde has detected two sound cards, which one do you want to use? Having only one sound card, I picked one and sound worked.
From this thread I guess the question isn't always asked.
Hdmi is in my system settings/ Phonon, it's working without deleting that one.
Do you get the blue box with settings tried by Phonon when hovering over the sound cards with the cursor? Any useful information in them?
Henry

Hey Henry, not sure how useful it is, but here is what I've done in phonon tab, I clicked each of the categories listed on the left, then clicked BOTH the HDMI and the STAC92xx and then test. The STAC92xx is the only one that always plays the test file. Actually, I don't think the HDMI one ever did play a test file for me. So I moved the STAC92xx to the top of each, then clicked each category to the left such as notifications, music, video and such and then clicked apply device list. Hover nets that it will try alsa x-phonon: CARD=1, DEV=1 first then will try alsa:plughw:CARD=1, DEV=1 then goes into oss choices. I had hoped by moving the STAC92xx to the top in each of those choices that it would work, but hasn't....

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:16 am
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Post # 280760
Brooko wrote:
Savvy - another thought (I might also try this when I get home later today)

The difference between 8.x and 11 (besides newer libs, kernel etc) is that Warren has included the proprietary video drivers working OOTB. I also have an HDMI enabled video card (GTX260). I hadn't though of this before - but I lost sound on video related issues (youtube / movies) - could be related to the video driver?

Maybe use sgfxi to reinstall the video drivers (ie stop Warrens implementation)?

Like I said, I might try this with a spare partition - and just see if it solves the problem. Long-shot - but worth trying?

sigh, Brooko, I don't mean to be a problem child, I did try sgfxi, three times, http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=31301
including one sgfxi -n, but that didn't work either. It's the first time sgfxi didn't work. Then I figured out I didn't have sound, bigger problem. The resolution is ok, I can't use desktop effects, but no sound on net is kind of a big deal. The laptop I was using before this one was a HP with a web cam, and I had Mepis 8 on it, and sound just worked out of the box. But the "innerds" on this laptop are all different from that one. I did run update-usbids and update-pciids hoping that would help it sort itself out, but it didn't.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:35 am

savvy_cowgirl thanked by: Brooko
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Post # 280770
Quote:
Hover nets that it will try alsa x-phonon: CARD=1, DEV=1

The difference to my install is: alsa x-phonon: CARD=0, DEV=0
for the used sound card.
There is a phonon bug: Bug#609441: Phonon sound configuration does not work for many sound cards
http://lists.debian.org/debian-qt-kde/2 ... 00070.html
It's for a slightly earlier version of phonon than the one in Mepis.
And there are probably other bugs that can be relevant.
I have no idea if your sound card is affected by that bug. It's just that I first suspect kde4 if problems are difficult to solve.
Henry

Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:34 am

MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 135 times
Post # 280772
savvy_cowgirl wrote:
sigh, Brooko, I don't mean to be a problem child, I did try sgfxi, three times, http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=31301
including one sgfxi -n, but that didn't work either. It's the first time sgfxi didn't work. Then I figured out I didn't have sound, bigger problem. The resolution is ok, I can't use desktop effects, but no sound on net is kind of a big deal. The laptop I was using before this one was a HP with a web cam, and I had Mepis 8 on it, and sound just worked out of the box. But the "innerds" on this laptop are all different from that one. I did run update-usbids and update-pciids hoping that would help it sort itself out, but it didn't.

Sorry - was a longshot anyway I guess.

Quick question on MEPIS (as I'm not using it on my gear - and I'm too lazy to check with a live CD ;) at the moment) - what is the phonon backend 11 is using?

For my Debian install - I'm using "Phonon VLC backend" - and everything is working ....

Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:40 am

Brooko thanked by: savvy_cowgirl
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Post # 280773
Quote:
what is the phonon backend 11 is using?

phonon-backend-xine 4:4.6.0really4.4.3-1 (mepis) is the one installed by default.
Henry

Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:07 am

MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1541 times
Post # 280779
Quote:
Quote:
Jerry3904 wrote:

I don't have one.......
OK. that file is now called snd-hda-intel.conf. Mine reads like this:
Quote:
# some chips require that the model be set manually
# for example asus g71 series may need model=g71v
options snd-hda-intel model=auto

# this option is disabled by default per advice from community member Jerry Bond
#options snd-hda-intel position_fix=2
(Why he keeps those last two line I will never know...). The option I was trying to point to was to use the options line to specify your sound card. You may have to try some variants to get it right, but how about something like
Quote:
options snd-hda-intel model=Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson Azalia Controller
or
Quote:
options snd-hda-intel model=HP g6
After changing, run alsaconf. Not sure it would do anything, but can't hurt to try.

32bit, 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae, MX-14, AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core, Dell SP2309W with integrated webcam, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE, 4 GB DDR2

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:33 am

Jerry3904 thanked by: savvy_cowgirl
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next