nvidia or ati onboard graphics on new motherboard

You can ask for help with video cards, tv cards, dvb, monitors, webcams, digital cameras and software related to these devices, here. Tutorials about these devices can be posted here, too.
Message
Author
User avatar
Fargo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 659
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:44 pm

nvidia or ati onboard graphics on new motherboard

#1 Postby Fargo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:43 pm

I'm looking at new AMD motherboards and finding that they offer fewer with on board nvidia graphic cards and more with ATI. I always heard nvidia was better. So but do I need to find an nvidia board or will ati work better. My machine will be used for small office and home office use. No gaming. Light photo editing. I mostly need a stable system with crisp images for reading and doing daily work chores. So is Nvidia or ATI better for stable work graphics.

Also how are the new A series Llano boards from AMD with the graphics in the CPU. Should I look at them or the more traditional Athlon boards?

User avatar
uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 5360
Age: 2015
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: nvidia or ati onboard graphics on new motherboard

#2 Postby uncle mark » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:49 pm

Fargo wrote:I'm looking at new AMD motherboards and finding that they offer fewer with on board nvidia graphic cards and more with ATI. I always heard nvidia was better. So but do I need to find an nvidia board or will ati work better. My machine will be used for small office and home office use. No gaming. Light photo editing. I mostly need a stable system with crisp images for reading and doing daily work chores. So is Nvidia or ATI better for stable work graphics.


You'll probably be fine with ATI. And you will find that AMD boards will tend that way since AMD bought ATI. That said, if you can find an AMD board with nVidia graphics, that would be the way to go, IMO. nVidia just has a better track record with Linux support.

Also how are the new A series Llano boards from AMD with the graphics in the CPU. Should I look at them or the more traditional Athlon boards?


Stay away. I've read nothing but bad things about them and Linux. Just as bad as the Intel Sandy Bridge.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

User avatar
Fargo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 659
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: nvidia or ati onboard graphics on new motherboard

#3 Postby Fargo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:23 pm

uncle mark wrote:
Fargo wrote:I'm looking at new AMD motherboards and finding that they offer fewer with on board nvidia graphic cards and more with ATI. I always heard nvidia was better. So but do I need to find an nvidia board or will ati work better. My machine will be used for small office and home office use. No gaming. Light photo editing. I mostly need a stable system with crisp images for reading and doing daily work chores. So is Nvidia or ATI better for stable work graphics.


You'll probably be fine with ATI. And you will find that AMD boards will tend that way since AMD bought ATI. That said, if you can find an AMD board with nVidia graphics, that would be the way to go, IMO. nVidia just has a better track record with Linux support.


Yeah, I knew AMD owned ATI and figured thats why they were usually together. Although I figured board makers would still have the final say on things. It seems all the AMD boards I like with nvidia cards are the last generation and no longer in stock. But I'll keep my eyes open. There are sure to be some around. But my top choices in motherboards are MSI, ASUS, and Gigabyte. But not necessarily in that order. They really don't have much with nvidia and AMD.. Maybe I need to consider Intel or a different mother board manufacturer. Any recommendations?

uncle mark wrote:
Fargo wrote:

Also how are the new A series Llano boards from AMD with the graphics in the CPU. Should I look at them or the more traditional Athlon boards?


Stay away. I've read nothing but bad things about them and Linux. Just as bad as the Intel Sandy Bridge.


Thank you. I was really starting to look at these. I will avoid them now.

User avatar
lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 12274
Age: 70
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:54 am

Re: nvidia or ati onboard graphics on new motherboard

#4 Postby lucky9 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:54 pm

Only thing 'wrong' with the latest boards is the graphics aren't as well supported as the older chipsets.
As for ATI or NVIDIA, with what you are wanting to do you can safely use the built-in ATI graphics chipsets on current motherboards. Just use the radeon driver as your basic video driver.
The biggest problem with ATI is that in the past they've decided to not support older chipsets.
You can use sgfxi (I understand) to install the ATI proprietary driver. ATI changes things around so occasionally this won't work until the script is adjusted to the new way that ATI builds their driver. Currently I believe things are okay.

At any rate the open source radeon driver is really a good alternative for the uses you've stated.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

User avatar
uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 5360
Age: 2015
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: nvidia or ati onboard graphics on new motherboard

#5 Postby uncle mark » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:17 pm

Fargo wrote:But my top choices in motherboards are MSI, ASUS, and Gigabyte. But not necessarily in that order. They really don't have much with nvidia and AMD.. Maybe I need to consider Intel or a different mother board manufacturer. Any recommendations?


Your board preferences agree with mine (in order, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, based on personal experience and anecdotal evidence from those whose opinions I respect). As far as the nVidia vs. ATI is concerned, I wouldn't put much effort into trying to find an AMD board with nVidia graphics. My preferences/prejudices are based on what's been the case in the past, and things have changed. For your purposes, I'd find a good AMD board & CPU pairing and not sweat the graphics. The worst that could happen would be that you'd have to spend $50 on a discrete card.

What I would concern myself with is making the new setup as obsolescence proof as possible -- make sure it's USB3 and SATA3 capable, with 10/100/1000 Ethernet. eSATA would be a good addition as well.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

User avatar
Fargo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 659
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: nvidia or ati onboard graphics on new motherboard

#6 Postby Fargo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:01 am

uncle mark wrote:
Fargo wrote:But my top choices in motherboards are MSI, ASUS, and Gigabyte. But not necessarily in that order. They really don't have much with nvidia and AMD.. Maybe I need to consider Intel or a different mother board manufacturer. Any recommendations?


Your board preferences agree with mine (in order, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, based on personal experience and anecdotal evidence from those whose opinions I respect). As far as the nVidia vs. ATI is concerned, I wouldn't put much effort into trying to find an AMD board with nVidia graphics. My preferences/prejudices are based on what's been the case in the past, and things have changed. For your purposes, I'd find a good AMD board & CPU pairing and not sweat the graphics. The worst that could happen would be that you'd have to spend $50 on a discrete card.

What I would concern myself with is making the new setup as obsolescence proof as possible -- make sure it's USB3 and SATA3 capable, with 10/100/1000 Ethernet. eSATA would be a good addition as well.


Glad to hear my thoughts on motherboards are on target. I don't really keep up with things that much. I've used Gigabyte and MSI in that past with good luck and have heard good things about Asus. So I'll stick with those three. You may be right about not spending too much time on the graphics card. Worst case scenario I spend another $25-$50 for a new card or use my 10 year old nvidia MX card thats still in service in my wifes 10 year old system thats being replaced.

Thanks for the thoughts on making it obsolescence proof. I had been questioning how much weight to put on USB 3 and SATA3. At first I thought they were needed, but then I figured they were unimportant since I could get an expansion card for USB3 and harddrives are not using all of SATA2. So I wasn;t going to bother with them. Especially since very few boards have USB3 headers. Although many have rear ports. But maybe I will reconsider the importance of these things. Especially SATA 3. I do tend to keep my computers around for some time and I've long felt that hard drives are a bottle neck. Maybe SSD drives will become reliable enough in the next few years to use as a main drive. I really only need about a 80GB-120GB drive so pricing on a SSD drive is pretty reasonable to me since all the space on a traditional drive would be wasted anyway.

Thanks again for the input. I guess I should have put this thread in the more general hardware section since it seems my questions are more related to general advice on building a system than just the graphics. Thanks for the tips and guideance.

User avatar
Fargo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 659
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: nvidia or ati onboard graphics on new motherboard

#7 Postby Fargo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:11 am

I've been looking at boards with SATA 6GBs. Is the current trend to not have on board video chips? I used to be able to find $50-$70 boards with onboard video all the time. There are still some old models with USB 2.0 and Sata 2 available. But there is nothing decent with SATA 3 and onboard video for under $100. Is there a change taking place in technology here or something. Will we see onboard video come back to future boards? Or will it only be the Llana board where the video is covered by the CPU that will offer onboard video.

I really only need a budget PC and don't necessarily need USB 3. The only thing I use USB for is my backup drive and that is done automatically while I'm asleep. So I don't know if its worth paying an addition $50 for SATA3. Is there anything in the immediate future that can really make SATA3 worth paying twice the price on the motherboard. Will there be any performance gains for a regular hard drive or will in only be for SSD drives? How reliable are SSD drives? Its a mission critical machine so I can't be loosing data. Even though I back it up.

Also since a board with onboard video is about $100 or I can get a board with no video for $75 plus a $25 video card. It seems like its best just to get no video and get the card I want.

Please let me know your thoughts on SATA3 and onboard video.

Oh one other thing, my wife just reminded me of how much I hate slow computers and am impatient with them. What is my best defense against slow at reasonable cost.

Thanks again. Should I start a new thread in the general hardware section. I seem to have lead my own thread way of course. But if you guys don't mind conversing with me here I don't see a reason to start a new thread.

User avatar
lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 12274
Age: 70
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:54 am

Re: nvidia or ati onboard graphics on new motherboard

#8 Postby lucky9 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:20 am

You can upgrade to SATA III using a PCIe card if it's ever needed. I'd buy the motherboard without graphics if I couldn't find one that suits my price range that has graphics. USB 3 is the same situation. I'd get an ATX motherboard (full size) for the extra expansion slots.

I should point out that INTEL graphics are (except for the latest and greatest) supported really well. And those will be supported by Mepis 11.5 more than likely. A Core2Duo with INTEL graphics wouldn't break the bank. My motherboard has an INTEL chipset and it kept me up and running when my cheap Galaxy NVIDIA card popped the capacitors a year or two back.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

User avatar
uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 5360
Age: 2015
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: nvidia or ati onboard graphics on new motherboard

#9 Postby uncle mark » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:03 am

Fargo wrote:I really only need a budget PC and don't necessarily need USB 3.


http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... &CatId=332

Might want to upgrade the PSU. Otherwise, it ought to give you everything you need -- AMD with onboard nVidia graphics, decent specs, decent storage.

I might just order in one myself for my workplace.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

User avatar
Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 15054
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:13 am

Re: nvidia or ati onboard graphics on new motherboard

#10 Postby Jerry3904 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:19 am

I always get my computers at Geeks.com, since you can buy rebranded units without an OS for a very low price, e.g.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... -R&cat=SYS

I have had to plug in the RAM or reseat the CMOS battery, and once to return the whole unit. But their support is great, and the customer is always right.
Production: 4.2.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, MX-15 RC1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 3.16-0-4-686-pae. MX-15, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB


Return to “Video-Related”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest