Video streaming stops after a short time

You can ask for help with video cards, tv cards, dvb, monitors, webcams, digital cameras and software related to these devices, here. Tutorials about these devices can be posted here, too.
moksha
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Video streaming stops after a short time

#1 Postby moksha » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:45 pm

I find this happens on my laptop and desktop, both are running M11 64 bit with FF 9.0.1, if I go to open a youtube video or any other video sharing site for that matter, It plays for about a minute or two then stops downloading and the little spinning circle starts. I have cable internet with a high speed connection, it does not seem to coincide with times of expected high network usage. If I run a speedtest all is appears good, is anyone else experiencing similar problems or can suggest a direction to look in.

JBoman
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Video streaming stops after a short time

#2 Postby JBoman » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:03 am

confirm the same in iceweasel 10.0 and previously in iceweasel 9.1 . I'm pretty sure the spinner indicates buffering but not sure how to improve it. I usually hit pause on the player for a couple of minutes and then play and it usually will continue without stutters. I'll be delighted if there is a way to overcome that... I am on high speed cable here also. :confused: Jerry
http://patentabsurdity.com/
AMD 64x2 2.6GHz 4GB ram MX-15 regular updates
"beware a frequent flirt with potential disaster"

moksha
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Postby moksha » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:56 pm

Yes, I think your right it is buffering, I get around it doing the same as you, but it is very frustrating.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Postby Stevo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:25 pm

If you install gkrellm or knemo (set knemo to use text mode instead of icons), you can monitor your network input and output in realtime. That lets you see if you get a high speed burst for a few seconds that some ISPs provide, then they drop it way down.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true.

James Branch Cabell

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Postby lucky9 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:13 pm

The burst is able to load a normal page reasonably fast, but then you're getting screwed at to speed afterwards. It seems to be a 'profit center'.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

moksha
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Postby moksha » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:56 pm

lucky9 wrote:The burst is able to load a normal page reasonably fast, but then you're getting screwed at to speed afterwards. It seems to be a 'profit center'.
What do you mean profit centre? Is this my ISP slowing things to reduce their costs ?

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Postby lucky9 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:21 am

Only so many bits can go down the pipe. They've been slowing connection speeds for quite a while. They've also been caught slowing bittorrent traffic just because it's bittorrent traffic.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Video-Related”