KWin May Drop Support For Catalyst, Vintage GPUs

You can ask for help with video cards, tv cards, dvb, monitors, webcams, digital cameras and software related to these devices, here. Tutorials about these devices can be posted here, too.
fbt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

KWin May Drop Support For Catalyst, Vintage GPUs

#1 Postby fbt » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:52 pm

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... px=MTA2MDA

Looks like those of us with old ATI cards may have to upgrade before the card actually fails.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: KWin May Drop Support For Catalyst, Vintage GPUs

#2 Postby lucky9 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:08 pm

This is for the proprietary drivers only if I read it correctly. Is that what you are understanding?
I still have an old AGP 2x ATI 8500 LE that I'd like to keep working. It's in an old motherboard that sits in my living-room (I'm not married ATM) ready and available if I feel nostalgic. But I'd like to keep it running if possible and the radeon driver is not that bad. It's quite good as a matter of fact.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Saist
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Postby Saist » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:18 pm

lucky9 wrote:This is for the proprietary drivers only if I read it correctly. Is that what you are understanding?
I still have an old AGP 2x ATI 8500 LE that I'd like to keep working. It's in an old motherboard that sits in my living-room (I'm not married ATM) ready and available if I feel nostalgic. But I'd like to keep it running if possible and the radeon driver is not that bad. It's quite good as a matter of fact.

Yes, this is for the Catalyst Driver set only which would only be RadeonHD 2000 series cards or newer.

I've already bopped AMD on the nogging with this: http://www.gamenikkiinexile.com/g3/inTh ... .php?id=78

So far I haven't seen any official response.

fbt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Postby fbt » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:13 pm

I read "...likely drop the OpenGL 1.x renderer..." which does affect the Catalyst driver. I'm still using a "All In Wonder" card but I think I'm using xrender so maybe it won't matter. I believe the command lspci -nn will tell me what's going on.

Return to “Video-Related”