View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Mepis a little slow 
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 299838
Post Mepis a little slow
I installed Mepis 11, all right, but I think the desktop is not quite smooth as I expected. For example: when I move a window quickly from one place to another is sometimes as a stop, and when I try to maximize or minimize a window manually Mepis does as stumbling.

Can be a problem of the video card? I have a GeForce 8400GS

Edit: Should i install the propietary driver (http://www.nvidia.es/object/linux-displ ... er-es.html)?

Tue May 15, 2012 8:26 am
Administrator

Have thanks: 1442 times
Post # 299839
Post Re: Mepis a little slow
panuque wrote:
I installed Mepis 11, all right, but I think the desktop is not quite smooth as I expected. For example: when I move a window quickly from one place to another is sometimes as a stop, and when I try to maximize or minimize a window manually Mepis does as stumbling.

Edit: Should i install the propietary driver (http://www.nvidia.es/object/linux-displ ... er-es.html)?

What are the other machine specs? Memory below 1 GIG is problematic, 750 Meg is marginal.
Post your response and if that is not the issue we can take it from there.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Tue May 15, 2012 8:30 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 245 times
Post # 299840
Your graphic card should be perfectly OK; I've had good video performance from much slower cards than that.

As Rich has said, let us know some machine specs. It is always useful to add them to your forum signature if you can.

If you do decide to use the proprietary drivers, I would advise installing them with something called 'sgfxi'. There is some information in section 5.5 of the manual, and here:

http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php?title=Sgfxi

in the Wiki.

If you are a bit inexperienced, graphics driver installation can be daunting, but help is always available here.

Chris

Tue May 15, 2012 8:43 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 2316 times
Post # 299843
panuque wrote:

The proprietary nvidia driver for your GeForce 8400GS is preinstalled with Mepis 11. It is an older version (260.19.21) than what you linked to, or what sgfxi installs, but it should work okay. I don't know if you'll see much improvement from installing the newer driver.

Tue May 15, 2012 9:15 am
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post # 299844
richb wrote:
panuque wrote:

What are the other machine specs? Memory below 1 GIG is problematic, 750 Meg is marginal.
Post your response and if that is not the issue we can take it from there.

Hi, first of all, thanks for responding so fast!!

I have a "decent" machine: 4GB RAM

Tue May 15, 2012 9:23 am
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 12 times
Post # 299846
Hi

Do you have kwin effects enabled ? Go to System Settings > Desktop Effects and then the Advanced tab and make sure the Compositing type is set to OpenGL and not XRender. If you prefer not to have effects enabled they can disabled under the General tab. Your card should be able to handle kwin effects however if you do notice it still being slow then disable the Blur effect ( if enabled ) under the All Effects tab.

Dale

Tue May 15, 2012 10:22 am
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post # 299847
Steely wrote:
Hi

Do you have kwin effects enabled ? Go to System Settings > Desktop Effects and then the Advanced tab and make sure the Compositing type is set to OpenGL and not XRender. If you prefer not to have effects enabled they can disabled under the General tab. Your card should be able to handle kwin effects however if you do notice it still being slow then disable the Blur effect ( if enabled ) under the All Effects tab.

Dale

I have tried with effects enabled and disabled too. The compositing type is set to OpenGL. I will try to disable Blur effect.

Thanks!

Tue May 15, 2012 10:29 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 20 times
Post # 299851
If I get any 'drag', one of the first things I do is open a console and type 'top'. That tells me what is using what resources.

May help.

HP Deskjet 3050 wireless::

Tue May 15, 2012 10:48 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 51 times
Post # 299852
If I were into gambling, & if I were going to lay money on a cure, I would place it on updating the video driver.

Granted, I am a Mepis rookie, but every time I have installed any version of Mepis (I have installed it many, many times--usually due to my messing something up), I find the graphics to be slow & jerky. After finding out how to install the sgfxi script, and after doing so, the problem disappears.

I am currently running a GTX550TI.

Previous card was a GTS240 (I think?).

Previous to that was a 9500 (?).

Every one of them exhibited the slow jerkiness till the driver was updated.

It will only cost you around 5-7 minutes to try it.

Best to you
Jerry in Anchorage

I7-930
P6X58D
6G Ram
3 WD Velociraptors
GTX550TI

Tue May 15, 2012 11:06 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 892 times
Post # 299902
muskt you hit the nail on the head. At least from what info we have at the moment.
See: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... gfxi#sgfxi
for a real good oversite after the manual. http://smxi.org/ will give you some more information.

Wed May 16, 2012 12:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next