Accessing router and other network hardware

Questions about Networking that deals with wireless cards, ethernet, modems, samba and anything else related to these, including software help. Tutorials for any of these can be posted too.

Remember to provide relevant info in your posts, such as the following information:

Version of Mepis being used
Card Manufacturer (i.e. Linksys)
Card Model (i.e. WMP54G)
Type: (PCI or PCMCIA)
Current Kernel in use on their system (i.e. 2.6.10)
Udev or Hotplug
Exact steps taken to get the card working if it is not immediately recognized by MEPIS.
GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Accessing router and other network hardware

#11 Postby GoManutd » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:56 am

smb4k works with linux and connects to NAS IF your NAS device supports samba/netbios shares. it is not a router management tool

michelmassoud
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#12 Postby michelmassoud » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:02 am

Thanks for the info regarding smb4k. What is the best way to connect to other computers or hardware using ip addresses? I try typing the ip in a browser but it does not work. For example today, I was trying to connect to a Mac in the office that was not listed under the samba workgroup. I know the machine's IP but cannot use it to locate that machine.

Thanks,

Michel

GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#13 Postby GoManutd » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:58 pm

the mac would need to be running samba and be configured similarly to the other machines in order for it to show up in your samba browse list.

your pcs won't respond to web requests unless they are running some web process.

take a look at http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/appf.html. this should help you with getting your mac smb enabled...

michelmassoud
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#14 Postby michelmassoud » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:27 am

I will do that, but I guess what I was trying to get to all along is whether or not Linux allows the search for and connection with other computers (Macs or otherwise) in the same way Windows does.

Thanks,

Michel

richb
Administrator

#15 Postby richb » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:46 am

michelmassoud wrote:I will do that, but I guess what I was trying to get to all along is whether or not Linux allows the search for and connection with other computers (Macs or otherwise) in the same way Windows does.

Thanks,

Michel

It does through samba or ssh
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich

Laptop: Acer V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, Intel graphics, SanDisk SSD, 256GB
Virtualbox: Win 7
Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB

pcallahan80
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#16 Postby pcallahan80 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:07 am

You can choose to establish file shares on a Mac using AFP (Apple File Protocol) for other Macs

or SMB (Server Message Block) for Windows or Linux clients running SAMBA seeking to access shares on a Mac

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.7/en/mh14107.html

Daily Driver: MSI 890FXA-GD70 | AMD Phenom II X6 1055T | GeForce GTX 750 Ti | 12G RAM
Test: Dell Inspiron 20 model 3043 | Quad core Intel Pentium N3530| Intel Atom Z36xxx/Z37xxx Graphics | 4G RAM

GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#17 Postby GoManutd » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:33 am

architecturally, you can either use a common protocol, like samba, to enable each machine to connect and interact with each other, OR you can setup a small server that is capable of serving files using different protocols that each client OS understands.

to be honest though, you're likely to end up settling on a given set of protocols, and it's likely going to be samba anyway because most open source server solutions don't handle the apple specific protocols - at least not well.

michelmassoud
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#18 Postby michelmassoud » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:10 am

We have five Apple machines linked to the main server using Window Server. I am the only one using Mepis. The protocol used is SMB and I can see some of the machines but we need to get the Mac support guys from time to time as we sometimes stop seeing one of them. The issue is not the Mac connections but rather being able to browse the network in a simple way.

Thanks to all.

Michel

GoManutd
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#19 Postby GoManutd » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:56 am

one solution then might be to run active directory and an add on product for mac/linux called Likewise http://www.likewise.com/

this product enables organizations to use microsoft active directory to manage their infrastructure, but allow non-microsoft OSs to partake. there is a commuity edition of this solution, too.

michelmassoud
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#20 Postby michelmassoud » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:13 am

OK I found away around my problem.

As a summary: I am using Mepis at work with a mix of Macs and Windows machines connected via a Microsoft Server. I managed to see all the Macs except for one. I made sure the Macs had the same configurations and OS versions but I still could not connect via Dolphin / network / Samba Shares / workgroup.

I was trying to find a way to connect directly to the Mac using it's IP and I found it. I used Konkeror and entered \\192.168.123.24 it connected to the Mac showing that it was connected to smb://192.168.123.24.

I went to Dolphin and in Network / Samba Shares/ Workgroup I right clicked on the blue folder with "smb:" next to it and I chose "Edit". I pasted smb://192.168.123.24 and pressed enter and I was connected. I added the Mac to "Places" and now I can easily access it through Dolphin.

I managed to fix the problem but i still don't know why the problem was there in the first place and how to really fix it. I think entering the info on how to access a computer with Dolphin using smb://PIN number should be added to the manual or Wiki (I don't know where).

Thanks,

Michel

Return to “Networking”