Ralink RT2870 wireless USB adapter - Mepis 11 2.6.36 kernel

Questions about Networking that deals with wireless cards, ethernet, modems, samba and anything else related to these, including software help. Tutorials for any of these can be posted too.

Remember to provide relevant info in your posts, such as the following information:

Version of Mepis being used
Card Manufacturer (i.e. Linksys)
Card Model (i.e. WMP54G)
Type: (PCI or PCMCIA)
Current Kernel in use on their system (i.e. 2.6.10)
Udev or Hotplug
Exact steps taken to get the card working if it is not immediately recognized by MEPIS.
ko
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Ralink RT2870 wireless USB adapter - Mepis 11 2.6.36 kernel

#1 Postby ko » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:23 pm

At long last I found a link that has enabled me to succesfully compile and install my .deb for my DWA140 Wireless-N USB adapter in M11 using its 2.6.36 kernel.
Previously I used a Debian 2.6.32 kernel, since it became apparent that compiling under kernels >= 2.6.35 was impossible.
The following link explains why there is a problem and provides a fix [See under EDIT there].
And it works on the M11 Mepis kernel 2.6.36....:-) And I belief that it will work for all RT2870 based wireless usb-adapters (many brands)

http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=852.0

[EDIT]
Newer kernels >= 2.6.35 will fail to compile (make) the driver because the driver makes use of the functions usb_buffer_alloc() and usb_buffer_free() which were renamed in kernel 2.6.35 ..
so if during the next (make && make install) step it fails with this error:

make[2]: *** [/home/mark/Desktop/RT2870/os/linux/../../common/cmm_mac_usb.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/mark/Desktop/RT2870/os/linux] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.35-27-generic'
make: *** [LINUX] Error 2

or similar.

The fix is to cd to the driver source directory (eg. 2010_0709_RT28 70_Linux_STA_v 2.4.0.1), and run the following 3 commands which will clean the build directory and replace the old calls with the new ones:

Code: Select all

make clean
find . -name \*.[ch] -exec grep usb_buffer_alloc "{}" ";" -exec sed -i 's/usb_buffer_alloc/usb_alloc_coherent/g' "{}" ";"
find . -name \*.[ch] -exec grep usb_buffer_free "{}" ";" -exec sed -i 's/usb_buffer_free/usb_free_coherent/g' "{}" ";"

(hitting enter after each line)

Ko
Ko Bros Linux User #312596.  MX14.4, MX14.3, Mepis 12, Debian 7, antiX 15, Peppermint 5...and sometimes Win7

Return to “Networking”