A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
DNS issues 

Have thanks: 4 times
Post # 295055
Post DNS issues
I run Mepis 8 / KDE 3.5 / Firefox 3.5

Over recent weeks I've been unable to access Distrowatch.com and on research have changed my Netgear router's Auto DNS to Google primary / secondary DNS settings and can now access Distrowatch.

I'm in the UK and my ISP is Talktalk. I also tried Talktalk primary / secondary DNS settings - no go for Distrowatch.

Can I assume Google primary / secondary DNS will be as fast as any for the UK?

Thanks

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:22 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 870 times
Post # 295060
Post Re: DNS issues
mepisuser wrote:
I run Mepis 8 / KDE 3.5 / Firefox 3.5

Over recent weeks I've been unable to access Distrowatch.com and on research have changed my Netgear router's Auto DNS to Google primary / secondary DNS settings and can now access Distrowatch.

I'm in the UK and my ISP is Talktalk. I also tried Talktalk primary / secondary DNS settings - no go for Distrowatch.

Can I assume Google primary / secondary DNS will be as fast as any for the UK?

Thanks

Should be. If not better. ISP provided DNS can be a problem. Just yesterday we had a problem with email sent to a PRC manufacturing partner. We have also recently switched ISPs, and were using their provided DNS. I switched to 8.8.8.8 and everything was resolved. Seemed a little quicker too, but that just may be wishful thinking on my part.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:07 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 376 times
Post # 295061
had the same experience switching over to google dns... was using opendns for a long time, but started having problems with name resolution, websites timing out, etc.

switch over to google and all those problems have stopped, and dns resolution is much faster

Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:26 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 444 times
Post # 295065
I'm not a fan of OpenDNS.

A while back my LAN suddenly stopped working. None of three machines could see the others. After I spent a whole afternoon scratching my head, I brought out the heavy artillary, Wireshark. What great tool.

It finally occurred to me that I had switched to OpenDNS the day before. Normally when you try to access your LAN, a DNS request is sent, and the reply should be "no such name" because 192.168.x.x is a non-routable address. OpenDNS was simply not answering, gumming up the works. I switched back to my previous DNS server, restarted the network, and everything was fine.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:15 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 300 times
Post # 295074
I tried OpenDNS but had problems and my ISP servers were very slow sometimes (Plusnet), so I switched to Google a few months back. All has been fine since, except for an occasional hang this last week. This has now ceased, so I put it down to a temporary problem with Firefox Nightly, which crashed twice in the same period.

I also tried the Comodo DNS but it wasn't as reliably quick.

Phil

AsRock FM2A88X-ITX+, A8-6500, 8GB, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB HDD, MX-14.
Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3, Phenom II X2 550 BE (now X3), 8GB.
120GB Corsair SSD, 500+250GB HDD, MX-14, Mepis 11.9.92-64.
Acer Aspire One 150, Atom N270, 120GB HDD, MX-14 / WinXP

Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:16 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 282 times
Post # 295076
Personally, I use Comodo Secure DNS, and I haven't seen any delays or performance issues with it. I prefer to use it because they maintain a real time blacklist of sites with malicious content. That's easier for me than constantly updating my hosts file to try and accomplish the same thing via some of the hosts files you can find online that have entries for many of the same sites.

That way, if I try to access a site in their blacklist, it redirects you to a warning screen about it (and depending on the nature of the threat, you may have the option to bypass the warning if desired if you want to risk it). Using Comodo Secure DNS adds an extra layer of security, since I need to run Windows at times, too.

Here are their DNS Server Addresses:

More about it here:

http://www.comodo.com/secure-dns/

Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:04 pm

JimC thanked by: DBeckett
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 444 times
Post # 295084
:rofl: Well, that was uproarious. I tried the Comodo servers and the same thing happened on my LAN as with OpenDNS—it replies with an IP address that appears to redirect to an error page instead of saying, "no such name." That must confuse my networking setup, making my Samba shares disappear and be unreachable from my PC.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:11 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 870 times
Post # 295086
GoManutd wrote:
had the same experience switching over to google dns... was using opendns for a long time, but started having problems with name resolution, websites timing out, etc.

switch over to google and all those problems have stopped, and dns resolution is much faster

I've also had good luck with the Level 3 servers at 4.2.2.[1-6].

http://www.tummy.com/Community/Articles ... ns-server/

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:42 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 282 times
Post # 295096
DBeckett wrote:
:rofl: Well, that was uproarious. I tried the Comodo servers and the same thing happened on my LAN as with OpenDNS—it replies with an IP address that appears to redirect to an error page instead of saying, "no such name." That must confuse my networking setup, making my Samba shares disappear and be unreachable from my PC.

That's very odd, since OpenDNS and Comodo Secure DNS work for me. Is the redirect error screen from the dns servers (either a comodo error screen or an opendns error screen). If not, then you may not be using those dns servers.

I do see a number of forum posts concerning problems with the TalkTalk DNS servers accessing sites like distrowatch.com now (as well as other sites hosted by netsonic). So, you can't help but wonder if the problem is deliberate versus just a problem with their DNS servers not updating properly.

But, if it's a DNS name resolution issue because of the way their DNS servers are configured, then switching to different DNS servers should solve it. If the error screen you're seeing is not specific to the DNS (either a comodo or opendns error screen), then I'd suspect something else is causing the issue).

Personally, I keep my router setup for Comodo Secure DNS using these addresses:

But, I've also seen posts from TalkTalk users say that switching to OpenDNS solved it for them. These addresses:

See the last post on this page for a TalkTalk user indicating that switching to OpenDNS solved the problem:

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/post/183055/#p183055

Since neither are working for you, I'm wondering if something is being setup wrong or your router may need rebooting or something to that effect. Are you restarting your network connection when you make the router change (click on the network icon in your system tray, then click on Auto eth0 so that it reconnects to your router again (grabbing a new ip address via dhcp and using the router's currrently setup dns servers)?

Note that one thing you can do is type something like this from a terminal to see what dns servers are being used to resolve the url and what ip address is being used for it:

su
nslookup distrowatch.com

For example, when I switch my router to use one of the OpenDNS servers, I see this (works fine for resolving distrowatch.com, as a TalkTalk user reported in the thread I linked to);

Code:
# nslookup distrowatch.com
Server:         208.67.220.220
Address:        208.67.220.220#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   distrowatch.com
Address: 66.180.174.35

If Google's DNS servers are working for you, then you could just leave it as is and be happy.

But, I'd be curious why other DNS servers are not working for you (OpenDNS, Comodo Secure DNS), and suspect that they're not really being used (and I'd try rebooting your router and making sure to restablish a new connection from your PC, then check to make sure the new DNS servers are being used via something like the nslookup command above).

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:52 am

Have thanks: 4 times
Post # 295099
Interesting reading folks, many thanks for replies.

Having used http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/ to establish the location of UK DNS severs, they all appear to be in the same location.

Google public DNS servers for 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 is located in the USA and yet seem to give better performance for me compared to any of the UK based ones.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next