Win7 to Linux sharing

Questions about Networking that deals with wireless cards, ethernet, modems, samba and anything else related to these, including software help. Tutorials for any of these can be posted too.

Remember to provide relevant info in your posts, such as the following information:

Version of Mepis being used
Card Manufacturer (i.e. Linksys)
Card Model (i.e. WMP54G)
Type: (PCI or PCMCIA)
Current Kernel in use on their system (i.e. 2.6.10)
Udev or Hotplug
Exact steps taken to get the card working if it is not immediately recognized by MEPIS.
uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Win7 to Linux sharing

#51 Postby uncle mark » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:52 pm

richb wrote:Thanks Uncle mark. Compared to the file you posted and made changes and it will now access.

5 virtual rep points. :happy:

Give TLN an attaboy. It was his last post or two that twigged the synapse in the back of my brain that made me recall what I'd gone through when I first set up that workplace NAS around four years ago. It was M7/Etch with wide open shares, and that was the smb.conf I finally ended up with when I got it working. I copied that over to the M11-based setup it's running now (with newer hardware) and it worked like a charm. I figure it ought to work on -- and allow -- just about anything.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

richb
Administrator

#52 Postby richb » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:58 pm

Thanks Tlee as well!

I was wrong assuming it was an issue that needed to be solved on the Win7 side.

For full disclosure, however, I had previously made some registry changes that were ineffective. I doubt they were required now based on UM's experience.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich

Laptop: Acer V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, Intel graphics, SanDisk SSD, 256GB
Virtualbox: Win 7
Desktop: MX-15- 64, AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB

TLeeNorris
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#53 Postby TLeeNorris » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:10 pm

lol or uuse twice as much ink....
GeForce GTX 560 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 // AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz 6 Cores // Patriot Viper Xtreme 16GB // GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 // Internal Blu-ray Drive // Antec TWO HUNDRED V2 // Black CoolMax 700W ATX12V

michelmassoud
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#54 Postby michelmassoud » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:34 am

I am having the same issue with Kubuntu. Would it be possible to get a working samba.conf file to use as a base for my samba configuration?

Thanks,

Michel

Edit: I just noticed the file posted by Uncle Mark. I will have a loot at it

michelmassoud
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#55 Postby michelmassoud » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:41 am

Used the file as is and nothing worked. Used the file's global and share settings on my own conf and the Mac could not see me anymore! and the win 7 machines still were unable to see me.

So I reverted back to my smb.conf. I can see the Mac OS X 10.7 with the addition of a Samba utility on the Mac side as 10.7 opted out of samba, I can see and connect to the Win7 machines but they cannot see me. Any thoughts?

Michel

Return to “Networking”