aufs 
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 733 times
Post # 263749
Post Re: aufs
kmathern wrote:
Danum wrote:
Added the fact that most linux-distro's have moved on from using aufs, debian live is a good example

If they've moved on from using aufs, are they using something else that provides the same type of capabilities in a Live session that aufs offers?

http://live.debian.net/cdimage/daily-bu ... so-hybrid/

Tthe above is a link to a squeeze KDE build, you can install apps in it, even synaptic, using sudo in Konsole,
as i have posted before it is a lot lighter than Mepis is, running the Live DVD, ask Rich about that.
Now this is where I no doubt get into hot water, Mepis when it first came out as a Live CD using aufs it was in the lead, as far as linux distro's where concerned, but over time and new more efficient ways of doing things have evolved, which unfortunately have not been implemented in Mepis, a prime example is xorg, you do not need one full stop. unless you are using proprietary drivers in which case there will be one installed, we are living in 2011 not the 1900's

Kubuntu KDE 4.11.00 / KDE 4.11.60 / Debian Wheezy KDE 4.10.4 / Plasma Active 3 Tablet

Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:47 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 588 times
Post # 263751
Quote:
Mepis when it first came out as a Live CD using aufs it was in the lead, as far as linux distro's where concerned

Actually, for the sake of accuracy, Ubuntu had writable file system before, I think aufs was a feature that we requested from Warren after we've seen it in Ubuntu, even more Warren never made it default, in Ubuntu the file system is writable by default.

Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:11 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 57 times
Post # 263937
kmathern wrote:
If aufs support were to be implemented in Mepis 11.0 in the same manner as it was done in earlier releases, I would expect to see some aufs-modules-2.6.36-1-mepis* packages in Warren's repo.

Fairly easy to add aufs2 to 2.6.36 kernel (Arch, Gentoo, Chakra, *buntu already added).
Just steps as via (from post #6 on) http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 80543.html
aufs-standalone just adds a single file_table.c def to the kernel, then the kbuild adds the option to kconfig to enable, and the base.patch will enable it
Then recompile kernal, can even use Debian's live-helper (live-boot, live-build) remaster package to build the iso with aufs2 support

Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:57 pm

Davo thanked by: Jerry3904, kmathern
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 284182
apparently, mp11.iso doesn't gather the last version of aufs. Would you share your iso?

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:38 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 87 times
Post # 284271
Post O.T. Re:Debian remaster package.
Davo wrote:
kmathern wrote:
If aufs support were to be implemented in Mepis 11.0 in the same manner as it was done in earlier releases, I would expect to see some aufs-modules-2.6.36-1-mepis* packages in Warren's repo.

Fairly easy to add aufs2 to 2.6.36 kernel (Arch, Gentoo, Chakra, *buntu already added).
Just steps as via (from post #6 on) http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 80543.html
aufs-standalone just adds a single file_table.c def to the kernel, then the kbuild adds the option to kconfig to enable, and the base.patch will enable it
Then recompile kernal, can even use Debian's live-helper (live-boot, live-build) remaster package to build the iso with aufs2 support

Does the Debian remaster package work with M11?

Edit:Sorry, my memory is getting very unreliable - I forgot I had already read Danum's post: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=29920

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:50 pm

GuiGuy thanked by: Danum
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 733 times
Post # 284274
Quote:
Does the Debian remaster package work with M11?

There is not a remaster package in debian, what there is is live-build, which will build a bootable live DVD of your system,
and you do not need to install aufs, but you can install packages to the live DVD, although you will loose them when you shutdown the system,
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=29920
there are two differences now to that how to, live-helper, is now live-build, and omit "--packages debian-installer-launcher" from the command line.
be aware it will copy everything so get rid of all the junk first.
And I was posting this when you did the edit

Kubuntu KDE 4.11.00 / KDE 4.11.60 / Debian Wheezy KDE 4.10.4 / Plasma Active 3 Tablet

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:22 pm

Danum thanked by: GuiGuy
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2