Testing Wanted: New GRUB Options for M11 Beta

Message
Author
User avatar
pcallahan80
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1578
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:34 pm

Testing Wanted: New GRUB Options for M11 Beta

#1 Postby pcallahan80 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:51 pm

In order to make Install DVD for M11 GRUB more Novice Friendly (graphically boots in cases)

...NVIDIA seems to be covered pretty well....but ATI/Radeon is not.

...so we need some testing on various ATI/Radeon hardware configurations. Two alternatives are being explored:

Alternative 1
Change the VESA GRUB menu option to include ATI/Radeon and Nouveau (for nVidia) by adding

Code: Select all

radeon.modeset=0 nouveau.modeset=0


Alternative 2
Add another GRUB menu option for RADEON (similar to the NVIDIA option) that includes:

Code: Select all

vga=788 quiet drvr=radeon confx

If we can test both of these on the current M11 B2 DVD, and see which one covers the widest range of ATI/Radeon hardware, we can forward the best alternative along to WW.

Best way to test these is to boot the M11B2 Install DVD GRUB and then edit menu by hitting <tab> at the following menu entries.

For Alternative 1:
VESA menu entry -- Insert "radeon.modeset=0 nouveau.modeset=0" before the word "confx"

For Alternative 2:
NVIDA menu entry -- Change the item "drvr=nvidia" to "drvr=radeon"

EDIT: Overall goal: ...we're looking for GRUB menu options that will get a new user to the proper resolution for ATI/Radeon on Boot, not necessarily to a HDD install with compositing enabled.

For this exercise, assume the compositing issue can be handled post install -- proprietary ATI driver install, or scripts like sgfxi.


And report on this thread...(Obviously, testers need to have ATI/Radeon GPUs.)
Last edited by pcallahan80 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
SilverBear
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:51 pm

Re: Testing Wanted: New GRUB Options for M11 Beta

#2 Postby SilverBear » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:14 pm

I don't have --but I agree this is a good and necessary line of testing. For many of us, ATI and Linux have not been a joyful mix.
Thanx, pcallahan!
"masai7" Intel i7 3g; 8GB RAM; (GPU on the CPU chip)
"novi" Lenovo Z585: AMD A10-4600M; RadeonHD 7660G; 6GB RAM

User avatar
megatotoro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Testing Wanted: New GRUB Options for M11 Beta

#3 Postby megatotoro » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:47 pm

I tested both and both worked on my ATI Technologies Inc Radeon 2100. For my untrained eye, option 1 did better (at least the sliding popups seemed a bit faster). However, I'm still unable to figure out how to get compositing working though it worked well on Alpha 2 (or 3?).

User avatar
benny_fletch
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:22 pm

Re: Testing Wanted: New GRUB Options for M11 Beta

#4 Postby benny_fletch » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:18 pm

megatotoro wrote:I tested both and both worked on my ATI Technologies Inc Radeon 2100. For my untrained eye, option 1 did better (at least the sliding popups seemed a bit faster). However, I'm still unable to figure out how to get compositing working though it worked well on Alpha 2 (or 3?).


How to get OpenGL to function correctly on anything other than nvidia:
Stevo wrote:... This is due to the symlink for the libglx modules in /etc/alternatives pointing to the libraries provided by the new Nvidia driver instead of the Mesa GL libraries that the Intel and other open source xorg drivers use.

su -c 'update-alternatives --config libGL.so.1'

and choose #1 in the nvidia/diversions.

I also ran

su -c 'update-alternatives --config libglx.so'

and chose #1, but got an error, and the second command may not be necessary.

By the way, the choices for the 'update-alternatives --config' command are found in /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/


Tested on beta1 using the radeon driver and everything is working. Don't get me wrong though, this needs to be resolved by final.

@pcallahan

I will test your suggestion on my laptop with beta 2 shortly and will let you know.
II: Kubuntu 14.04 & Windows 7 | 3.4GHz AMD Phenom II X4 | ASUS M4A785TD-V | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia GeForce GTX550
KAVAR: Kubuntu 14.04 | Dell Vostro 1000 | 1.8GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 | 4GB DDR2 | ATI Radeon Xpress 1150

User avatar
smilliken
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 2020
Age: 57
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:47 pm

Re: Testing Wanted: New GRUB Options for M11 Beta

#5 Postby smilliken » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:55 pm

radeon.modeset=0 nouveau.modeset=0


Dell 6400 Inspiron with a X1400 booted with the above entry in GRUB under VESA
Still no OpenGL in Desktop Effects. Will be upgrading the computer to B2 as it only has A4 on it right now.

"drvr=nvidia" to "drvr=radeon"


Same unit,
booted, seemed slower, but not sure. No OpenGL either

Both booted, just fine.

But then again, the Default line in GRUB (1st one) also boots just fine and gives the same results with no OpenGL.
There is no "Ctrl+Z" in life!
Acer 7551G MX-15
Dell 1525, MX15 XFCE4 & Win 10
HP DV4-1118 Mepis 12 4.14 & Win 10
HP CP1215/Brother DCP-7065DN
Linux User# 4523410

User avatar
megatotoro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 670
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Testing Wanted: New GRUB Options for M11 Beta

#6 Postby megatotoro » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:57 pm

Big thanks!! It worked!! Desktop effects work perfectly now.

User avatar
smilliken
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 2020
Age: 57
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:47 pm

Re: Testing Wanted: New GRUB Options for M11 Beta

#7 Postby smilliken » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:49 pm

benny_fletch wrote:
megatotoro wrote:I tested both and both worked on my ATI Technologies Inc Radeon 2100. For my untrained eye, option 1 did better (at least the sliding popups seemed a bit faster). However, I'm still unable to figure out how to get compositing working though it worked well on Alpha 2 (or 3?).


How to get OpenGL to function correctly on anything other than nvidia:
Stevo wrote:... This is due to the symlink for the libglx modules in /etc/alternatives pointing to the libraries provided by the new Nvidia driver instead of the Mesa GL libraries that the Intel and other open source xorg drivers use.

su -c 'update-alternatives --config libGL.so.1'

and choose #1 in the nvidia/diversions.

I also ran

su -c 'update-alternatives --config libglx.so'

and chose #1, but got an error, and the second command may not be necessary.

By the way, the choices for the 'update-alternatives --config' command are found in /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/


I gave this a go and still have no desktop effects. Did a reboot and still the same. Maybe just not possible with an X1400 GPU.
There is no "Ctrl+Z" in life!
Acer 7551G MX-15
Dell 1525, MX15 XFCE4 & Win 10
HP DV4-1118 Mepis 12 4.14 & Win 10
HP CP1215/Brother DCP-7065DN
Linux User# 4523410

User avatar
benny_fletch
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:22 pm

Re: Testing Wanted: New GRUB Options for M11 Beta

#8 Postby benny_fletch » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:52 pm

smilliken wrote:I gave this a go and still have no desktop effects. Did a reboot and still the same. Maybe just not possible with an X1400 GPU.


Only works once mepis is actually installed.

Oops... I might have misread... disregard.
II: Kubuntu 14.04 & Windows 7 | 3.4GHz AMD Phenom II X4 | ASUS M4A785TD-V | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia GeForce GTX550
KAVAR: Kubuntu 14.04 | Dell Vostro 1000 | 1.8GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 | 4GB DDR2 | ATI Radeon Xpress 1150

User avatar
smilliken
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 2020
Age: 57
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:47 pm

Re: Testing Wanted: New GRUB Options for M11 Beta

#9 Postby smilliken » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:54 pm

benny_fletch wrote:
smilliken wrote:I gave this a go and still have no desktop effects. Did a reboot and still the same. Maybe just not possible with an X1400 GPU.


Only works once mepis is actually installed.


I have A4 installed, updated to present on a Dell laptop. This is the machine I'm testing this on. Is the X1400 just too old?
There is no "Ctrl+Z" in life!
Acer 7551G MX-15
Dell 1525, MX15 XFCE4 & Win 10
HP DV4-1118 Mepis 12 4.14 & Win 10
HP CP1215/Brother DCP-7065DN
Linux User# 4523410

User avatar
benny_fletch
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 677
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:22 pm

Re: Testing Wanted: New GRUB Options for M11 Beta

#10 Postby benny_fletch » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:25 pm

The boot options didn't seem to make any notable difference on my system. I tried both alternatives as well as a default boot. There's always beta 3 ;)
II: Kubuntu 14.04 & Windows 7 | 3.4GHz AMD Phenom II X4 | ASUS M4A785TD-V | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia GeForce GTX550
KAVAR: Kubuntu 14.04 | Dell Vostro 1000 | 1.8GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 | 4GB DDR2 | ATI Radeon Xpress 1150


Return to “Betas-RC's only”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests