MEPIS Community Forum

A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Mepis 11 RC3 - Issues, bug reports, comments 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 62 times
Post # 271665
Post Re: Mepis 11 RC3 - Issues, bug reports, comments
Oops! I guess I've been doing it wrong all this time. My idea of testing an operating system is to use it as you normally would, that means customizing it to look and act the way you like it. Install the software you use and actually use it to do work. I know I'm a bit more risk tolerant then most people, but I've used every alpha, beta and rc since I came back to Mepis as my 'production OS', not a test instance on a box I don't sit in front of every day.

Mon May 02, 2011 12:53 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 857 times
Post # 271666
After you start changing the system that's shipped too radically it's not the same OS. You can customize etc. It's also appropriate to add programs using the default repositories, though any change should be specified if it causes problems. Or if you have problems afterwards.
I also use each test release as my sole OS. I've also rarely had problems doing so. But I don't upgrade and I keep track of installation of programs.

Upgrading with saving /home should definitely be in the other thread. As should any upgrading of the base install.
We are just trying to keep the two separate. There are anomalies introduced by saving /home for instance that do not belong in a test-the-RC environment. Neither does an upgrade, of any or all programs included.

What we want to accomplish is to ship as near perfect an OS OOTB as possible. After that, it's to the regular forums with problems.
The upgraded Beta and RC thread is there for a purpose. Once you've tested the system then (after upgrading) any problems should go there. If you saved /home then problems should go there.

Mon May 02, 2011 3:46 am
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 8 times
Post # 271668
lucky9 wrote:
<snip>Neither does an upgrade, of any or all programs included.</snip>
I don't mean to be offensive, and I don't want to start an argument, but I wholeheartedly disagree with this bit. Part of testing a current beta/RC is making sure that upgrading programs through synaptic/aptitude/apt-get will not break the system. In fact, it is important that we DO update any and all available installed programs, and post our results in the current RC testing thread, so that any problems caused by these updates can be found and corrected before the next testing/final release. Obviously, making updates to a non-current testing release, e.g. RC2, can introduce anomalies, but updating, say, the Firefox 4.0 in RC3 to the 4.0.1 that is now in the repositories, can give us useful insight should a problem arise. These upgrades should not be, as this statement seems to imply, simply ignored...

As I've stated earlier, I am by no means trying to offend; I've no doubt of your intelligence, and most of what you said in the rest of that post and in the previous ones is spot-on, but just this little bit didn't ring true to me at all.

~Nick

Mon May 02, 2011 5:26 am
Administrator

Have thanks: 1399 times
Post # 271671
Pilcrow wrote:
lucky9 wrote:
<snip>Neither does an upgrade, of any or all programs included.</snip>
I don't mean to be offensive, and I don't want to start an argument, but I wholeheartedly disagree with this bit. Part of testing a current beta/RC is making sure that upgrading programs through synaptic/aptitude/apt-get will not break the system. In fact, it is important that we DO update any and all available installed programs, and post our results in the current RC testing thread, so that any problems caused by these updates can be found and corrected before the next testing/final release. Obviously, making updates to a non-current testing release, e.g. RC2, can introduce anomalies, but updating, say, the Firefox 4.0 in RC3 to the 4.0.1 that is now in the repositories, can give us useful insight should a problem arise. These upgrades should not be, as this statement seems to imply, simply ignored...

As I've stated earlier, I am by no means trying to offend; I've no doubt of your intelligence, and most of what you said in the rest of that post and in the previous ones is spot-on, but just this little bit didn't ring true to me at all.

~Nick

I am not saying that part of the testing is not adding packages and setting the system up as you want it. I am just suggesting a different thread for issues when the system has been changed significantly. The important thing is that those changes be stated so an evaluation can be made of the problems that occur.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Mon May 02, 2011 6:25 am
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post # 271676
richb wrote:
I am just suggesting a different thread for issues when the system has been changed significantly.
Thank you for the reply, richb, and I must say I agree with you here, but my thinking is that upgrading to newer versions of already included programs, e.g. Firefox, does not constitute as a significant modification/customization and I personally believe issues pertaining to this sort of upgrade should be posted here so that any incompatibility they have with the current release can be pinpointed before the next release. Am I wrong?

Mon May 02, 2011 7:30 am
Administrator

Have thanks: 1399 times
Post # 271678
Pilcrow wrote:
richb wrote:
I am just suggesting a different thread for issues when the system has been changed significantly.
Thank you for the reply, richb, and I must say I agree with you here, but my thinking is that upgrading to newer versions of already included programs, e.g. Firefox, does not constitute as a significant modification/customization and I personally believe issues pertaining to this sort of upgrade should be posted here so that any incompatibility they have with the current release can be pinpointed before the next release. Am I wrong?

You have a good argument in those cases in my view. And I for one would not argue that point. However, when packages are added from other sources or fundamental system packages like the Mepis initialization packages are installed, the picture changes.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Mon May 02, 2011 7:32 am
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post # 271680
richb wrote:
You have a good argument in those cases in my view. And I for one would not argue that point. However, when packages are added from other sources or fundamental system packages like the Mepis initialization packages are installed, the picture changes.
Alright, thank you. I agree with you on the matter of the initialization packages and such. I suppose I'm not the best person to argue this case anyhow: in addition to having absolutely no rep, I use my updated beta3 much more than the RC3 I also have installed ( :p ), but I felt these points were something that needed to be brought up.

And FYI, I do update the Mepis initialization packages, etc. in my beta3, but I know the risks of doing so, I don't post problems with that install here unless the issue is identical in RC3, and I make sure never to hit "Mark All Upgrades" in synaptic on my RC3 install! ;)

Anyhow, thanks for listening, and sorry if I happened to offend or otherwise annoy anyone!

~Nick

Mon May 02, 2011 8:02 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 62 times
Post # 271682
Perhaps for future releases, we could have a thread titled 'Installation and setup issues' and another titled 'Upgrade and customization problems'.

Mon May 02, 2011 8:20 am

sdbingm thanked by: lucky9
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 32 times
Post # 271688
Good Morning;

I did my last I hope clean install of M11 RC3 this weekend. It was on my Dell 2400. I saw one error that due to the font size I could not fully make out. At shut down it seemed to read "services return plymouth failed".

Every thing looked good with one execption. Booting up I got my old "unsupported video mode". I knew what it was even thought being in a very small green font I had to get my magnafying glass out to read it. This is not a show stopper but it did look funny. Right on top of the image were these very small boxes popping up with very small green text. Can this not be corrected in a future relaes say M11.*.

Frank D. Hubeny

Mon May 02, 2011 9:32 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 9 times
Post # 271689
OK, what I think I'll do is wait until the final release, reinstall within my main OS partition, and see if I still have problems. I wish I had time to test/bang on this with RC3, but alas I do not. Thx

Mon May 02, 2011 9:42 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next