MX & MEPIS Community Forum

Linux operating systems based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Mepis 11 RC3 - Issues, bug reports, comments 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 32 times
Post # 271690
Post Re: Mepis 11 RC3 - Issues, bug reports, comments
Good Morning;

This is just a comment and I thought I should make another post. I noticed this weekend some things that I liked but could something else be done. It concerns the splash screens in M11 RC3. When you boot up you get a progess bar. It is a nice touch but think about making it somewhat larger in and perhaps moving it to the right. Make it sort of like the KDE services that get started up on the left. That and label it progress may be. I liked the service start up on the left away from the main image and thought perhaps something with progress bar could be done in the future.

Then when you shut down you get the do you really want to do this box is centered over the image. Can this not be moved somewhere else.

The above are just comments and are not show stoppers they just seem to look out of place when you look at the rest of the nice art work.

EDITED After The Fact: I do not expect any thing to be done now. The above comments should have been made after M11 gets released or much earlier in the process. There are I am sure many other things needed to be done to get M11 out some may be show stoppers this is not one.

Frank D. Hubeny

Mon May 02, 2011 9:43 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 898 times
Post # 271719
sdbingm wrote:
Perhaps for future releases, we could have a thread titled 'Installation and setup issues' and another titled 'Upgrade and customization problems'.

It is entirely possible that there isn't a fine-grained enough thread titling going on. Something like this is a very good idea.

As per reputation points, all that's needed is to be around a long time. To me it gives an idea of dedication rather than skill level. I bow to many who have a great deal more Linux experience/knowledge. There are several of us who were here when the doors opened so to speak. So you need to keep perspective on the points.

The thread concerning upgrading a Beta or RC seems to be self-explanatory but we'll keep trying. I would have thought that the 'problems with RC 3 here' was also, but I'm tending to think that perhaps it should read 'problems with using a clean install of RC 3' and a separate 'problems with upgrading or adding programs using RC 3', etc.
Food for thought.

Not much has been said or done concerning this subject in the testing thread. Posts are not moved very often at all. But I still maintain that upgrading from a previous testing version should not be in the testing thread. Not should those that save /home. And anything that you've added to the default install should be documented.

And please don't think you should temper comments to keep from hurting my feelings. I've been wrong more than enough times to not have it bother me as long as it's constructive. I'm not nearly as young as I used to be so I've learned that learning is not a smooth road. :blindfold:

Mon May 02, 2011 3:20 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 62 times
Post # 271728
On the subject of 'save /home', since it is an option of the install program that we are supposed to be testing, issues that come about from using are just as relevant as issues on clean installs, so I think they belong in the same install/setup thread.

Mon May 02, 2011 4:26 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 77 times
Post # 271729
My install of RC3 has gone awry... I shall be doing another reinstall as my system takes for ever to open a file, opening dolphin is like molasses in January... and using it to navigate between folders is now impossible, Firefox is almost as useless and Google that will crash on almost any webpage...

I have lots of files now, think I will try to save home this time around...

JR

Mon May 02, 2011 4:35 pm
Administrator

Have thanks: 1501 times
Post # 271739
This is an RC3 thread not one to discuss reputation points, but I will say my last on this. There were discussions before the forum changeover whether they should be included as well as thanks module. There were some strong opinions that they should and no compelling arguments against.

After spending some time on the forum it becomes obvious who are the most helpful users. But for new users it is not so obvious. These features do help to identify those helpful reliable users, and do not only reflect longevity.

That is not to say others are not helpful and reliable. And they should only be used as a guide. I think to suggest they are of no use is wrong and also to suggest they are a definitive judgment is also wrong. In any case they are here to stay, so use them or do not as you see fit.

Rich

Production: Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14.2 Symbiosis
Virtualbox: Windows 7
Alternate: Kubuntu 14.10, KDE 4.11.2

Mon May 02, 2011 5:22 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 898 times
Post # 271743
sdbingm wrote:
On the subject of 'save /home', since it is an option of the install program that we are supposed to be testing, issues that come about from using are just as relevant as issues on clean installs, so I think they belong in the same install/setup thread.

My first test of a new LiveDisk is to install with saving /home. I've never had a glitch-free install doing that with a Beta or RC. That's why I suggested it doesn't belong. It's totally spurious to the problem of testing a pre-final.

@richb: a grain of salt is always a good attitude. I didn't intend to imply that they are not useful. Because they are. But it's a good idea to remember that someone with very little or even none can be a real Linux guru. Mainly because people are always finding SimplyMEPIS and deciding (correctly I think) that this is a great turn-key Linux system. But those who are new can use rep points as a start. They do mean something.

Mon May 02, 2011 5:39 pm
Administrator

Post # 271744
lucky9 wrote:
sdbingm wrote:

My first test of a new LiveDisk is to install with saving /home. I've never had a glitch-free install doing that with a Beta or RC. That's why I suggested it doesn't belong. It's totally spurious to the problem of testing a pre-final.

@richb: a grain of salt is always a good attitude. I didn't intend to imply that they are not useful. Because they are. But it's a good idea to remember that someone with very little or even none can be a real Linux guru. Mainly because people are always finding SimplyMEPIS and deciding (correctly I think) that this is a great turn-key Linux system. But those who are new can use rep points as a start. They do mean something.

We are in agreement on both points.

Rich

Production: Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14.2 Symbiosis

Mon May 02, 2011 5:42 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 918 times
Post # 271745
lucky9 wrote:

I think you guys are taking this rep points stuff waaay too seriously. :p

Mon May 02, 2011 5:42 pm
Administrator

Post # 271747
uncle mark wrote:
lucky9 wrote:

I think you thinking we are taking it too serious is too serious a judgment. :hug:

Rich

Mx-14.2 Symbiosis

Mon May 02, 2011 5:45 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 918 times
Post # 271749
richb wrote:
uncle mark wrote:

I think you thinking we are taking it too serious is too serious a judgment. :hug:

I take it I'll not be getting any rep for that post.

Mon May 02, 2011 5:56 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next