Cannot connect to MPD server...

Here you can ask questions about how to set up servers in MEPIS and ask about software and hardware related to it. You can post tutorials relating to this, also.
linuxer
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Cannot connect to MPD server...

#1 Postby linuxer » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:12 pm

Actually my brother asked me this question, he has Mepis 8 installed on his system and downloaded Ario from synaptic, but, when it starts it says it cannot connect to MPD server(check connection), what exactly is MPD server and how can this problem be resolved.

vampirefo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#2 Postby vampirefo » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:17 pm

mpd = Music Player Daemon

he should install mpd as well.
AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz
Gigabyte MB-GA-MA78GM-US2H
Kingston HyperX 8GB Ram
Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive
Black Thermaltake SopranoRS 101 Middle Tower
Acer H233H
Mepis-Gnome 64 bit

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Postby timkb4cq » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:55 pm

Thanks for mentioning Ario. I hadn't heard of it before.
I run mpd on an older computer attached to my Stereo and access it through other computers in the house. I'd been using gmpc but they changed the gui recently making it much harder to use unless you go full screen with it. I've tried InkMusic as well, but Ario looks like it might be a keeper.
It works well once you have mpd set up.

Mpd works really well in that sort of client server configuration because it will run on almost any old box. I had it running for years on a K6-II 400Mhz underclocked to 266Mhz so I could slow the fan enough to be silent.

linuxer
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#4 Postby linuxer » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:49 pm

vampirefo wrote:mpd = Music Player Daemon

he should install mpd as well.

This seems to be raising a new question, I personally don't know anything about Ario or MPD and as such my question now is can Ario be used as a stand alone media player?
I downloaded and installed both Ario and MPD and am getting the same result 'cannot connect to mpd server'.

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Postby timkb4cq » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:05 pm

Yes it can, but you have to set up mpd first, which involves manually editing the /etc/mpd.conf file.

That conf file is self-documenting so you can figure it out if you read carefully, but it's not nearly as easy as setting up as Amarok (installed by default) juk (in the repos), or Goggle (goggle debs found here: http://mepislovers.org/forums/showpost.php?p=203174&postcount=19 ).

linuxer
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#6 Postby linuxer » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:15 pm

timkb4cq wrote:Yes it can, but you have to set up mpd first, which involves manually editing the /etc/mpd.conf file.

That conf file is self-documenting so you can figure it out if you read carefully, but it's not nearly as easy as setting up as Amarok (installed by default) juk (in the repos), or Goggle (goggle debs found here: http://mepislovers.org/forums/showpost.php?p=203174&postcount=19 ).

Ok thanks, I will pass this along to my brother. Personally I use Amorak, it does everything I need and am not sure why he ventured but I guess if you don't venture...you don't learn right.

Thank you so much for your time sir.

Return to “Servers”