View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
DHCP server? 
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 229511
Post DHCP server?
Im new to MEPIS, trying to set up a server..

I haven't seen anything regarding setting up MEPIS as a DHCP server.. ive tried to do apt-get install dhcp3-server but it says it cant find the package, I do see that dhcp3 is installed but only with the client files... so is there another way to get DHCP on the server?

my next question

I have two NIC's in my server. One connected to my router the other for my LAN of client computers I've set my NIC's to have static IP's but when I do an ifconfig it shows that my WAN not having the static IP I gave it, instead one from the router, ive set up the static ip via network assistant, also in the /etc/network/interfaces file... either way doesn't seem to change the IP to what I want it to be..am I missing something somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any assistance :)

Mon May 03, 2010 12:52 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 34 times
Post # 229539
Im new to MEPIS, trying to set up a server..

I haven't seen anything regarding setting up MEPIS as a DHCP server.. ive tried to do apt-get install dhcp3-server but it says it cant find the package, I do see that dhcp3 is installed but only with the client files... so is there another way to get DHCP on the server?

May I ask WHY you want to do that, given that you have a router that can do it? Just curious.

Quote:

my next question

I have two NIC's in my server. One connected to my router the other for my LAN of client computers I've set my NIC's to have static IP's but when I do an ifconfig it shows that my WAN not having the static IP I gave it, instead one from the router, ive set up the static ip via network assistant, also in the /etc/network/interfaces file... either way doesn't seem to change the IP to what I want it to be..am I missing something somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any assistance :)

For starters, make sure the IP address you want to give your NICs are outside the assignable DHCP address range of your router.

Mon May 03, 2010 7:07 pm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post # 229563
well its not actually my router. I'm in a classroom environment, my project is to make a linux OS thats assigned to me work as a server. So I was starting at DHCP because I cant really start testing the other things I need to do until my clients can get IP's from my server and ive been looking for a couple of days for info on getting a DHCP server up and running and I haven't found one thing on it..

my IP's are all good, they've been used many a time for the same reason... but idk, still doesnt explain why I cant change the IP from dynamic to static, unless im not setting everything I need to up to change dynamic IP's to statics which could be a possibility.Maybe it has something to do with network connections? im still finding my way around MEPIS.. thanks again the assistance on the subject.. Is there anywhere else I could possibly look for info? ive checked all over this forum, also the wiki, the MEPIS guide, and linux questions forum.

Mon May 03, 2010 10:19 pm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post # 229593
okay so while talking with someone, I got an answer to one of my questions. Apparently dnsmasq lets you configure DHCP and DNS, unfortunatly I dont quite have an answer to my NIC problem, but someone suggested restarting the service, thought ive done this but im going to try again. Ill let everyone know how things go :) good for future reference for someone else.

UPDATE:

I found a forum that fixed both of my issues :) I had to reload the synaptics package manager which allowed me to install dhcp3. I set that up. Then I used the ifconfig command(ifconfig eth0 [IP]) to reset my NIC IP's. Then I restarted: /etc/init.d/networking restart and tada! everything is good on my server :)

Tue May 04, 2010 7:41 am
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post # 229625
okay, so I am pretty much back to square 1, I thought that I had fixed my NIC cards, but I havent and I dont know how to fix it...so if anyone has any ideas on how I can make my NIC cards see the static IP's that I put on them, I would be very grateful! Thanks in advance

Tue May 04, 2010 1:58 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 897 times
Post # 229630
On the Mepis machine are you setting the MEPIS Network Assistant to Manual and then setting the Interfaces tab to Use static IP settings? Also on the General tab you need to set the Use static DNS and enter the appropriate settings in both.

Tue May 04, 2010 2:26 pm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post # 229653
pretty sure I figured out what I was doing wrong..im more familiar with command line in linux, so I reinstalled the server and started where I know best: /etc/network/interfaces, changed what I need to in there, except before I wasnt deleting the gateway for my lan side, I just left "gateway" there but didnt put anything after it.. and now I have gotten rid of the line entirely, although i had to leave before i could check it out I think everything is working fine now..

to answer your question, yes I did make sure I set the Network Assistant to Manual then set the interfaces to statics. I did also try to set a static DNS but MEPIS didnt like that, kept throwing it back at me....

hopefully its fixed this time! lol

Thank you very much for responding however, its good to know that there's a helpful forum out there :D

Tue May 04, 2010 5:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]