A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Think Tanks - .bin file installation??? 
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 548 times
Post # 258738
Post Re: Think Tanks - .bin file installation???
Yep, you don't have direct rendering, you have to fix this issue. Probably need to re-install the driver for your video card.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:51 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 846 times
Post # 258744
This may help: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php?title=Smxi

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:38 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 135 times
Post # 258751
Yep - you need a 3D driver for your nvidia card.

Here are the options - I'm assuming you are running MEPIS 11 - and it is fairly much a brand new install.

[1] Reinstall - but select the 'nvidia option' when booting the livecd/liveusb. When you install it will automatically bring across the nvidia driver. If you are doing this from a liveusb (rather than livecd) - you should have no issues with the black screens everyone has been getting from the latest beta.

[2] Keep current install and run sgfxi - http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... gfxi#sgfxi
This is actually very easy. Follow the instructions from the wiki page and it will automatically get the correct driver step by step.

After you've successfully installed the driver, you should be able to run thinktanks. You can check by once again rerunning (after successful driver installation)
Code:
glxinfo | grep direct

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:25 am
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Have thanks: 1 time
Post # 258890
Hi All,

Below is the console output that errored.
Hopefully this is where I "complete the install outside of X", which is what I will attempt next.

eading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: http://deb.opera.com lenny Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY F9A2F76A9D1A0061
W: GPG error: http://deb.opera.com stable Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY F9A2F76A9D1A0061
W: GPG error: http://deb.opera.com stable Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY F9A2F76A9D1A0061
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
apt-get update successful. Continuing...
Updating required package linux-headers-2.6.32-1-mepis64-smp now...
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
linux-headers-2.6.32-1-mepis64-smp: Depends: linux-kbuild-2.6.32 but it is not installable
E: Broken packages
ERROR: (200) The package: linux-headers-2.6.32-1-mepis64-smp failed to install, please check apt for any problems.

Log file is located here: /var/log/sgfxi/sgfxi.log
Exiting script now.
[root@mepis1 ThinkTanksDemo]#

Thanks,
Jeff

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:38 pm
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Post # 258891
Followed the sgfxi install instructions (both complete and partial) according to the mepis instruction file and still no direct rendering.

Any other suggestions?

I'm really growing frustrated with what seems like should be a simple thing.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:47 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Post # 258895
kbuild is definitely in Warren's repo
ftp://ftp.mepis.com/mepis/pool/main/l/linux-kbuild-2.6/

Jeff - I know you're getting frustrated - but it is working for me. Maybe Warren's repo was down for a short time. It happens when he is developing close to a release.

Your easiest route - is to reinstall - but boot the live-cd with the nvidia driver option. The best way to do this (using latest beta) is to use a thumb-drive rather than live dvd. If you do this then the 3D driver will already be installed and configured - no need to do anything else.

Other than that - open a konsole, su to root, then:
Code:
apt-get update && m-a prepare

This will install the correct headers and build essential required for module (eg nvidia) installation. Once that is successful - try rerunning sgfxi outside X again.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:33 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 548 times
Post # 258898
Jeff, I appreciate your patience and perseverance to get this problem fixed, I think you are close to the finish line, don't give up. :)

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:22 pm

Adrian thanked by: Brooko
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Post # 258966
Hi Brooko (all),
I'm home for lunch briefly so here is the update from last evening...

Ok. Here we go.
Last night I tried to use smxi/sgfxi to switch to the nVidia driver.
After several attempts at following the instructions I managed to actually acitivate the script for sgfxi and proceeded through the process. Of course since I’m only mildly patient and had no real idea what exactly I was doing I managed to install/upgrade enough files (which the script said were successfully and properly completed) that resulted in my Mepis 8.5 (where I was testing the driver install since the nvidia was not installed in that version either) being damaged to such a degree (something about missing “arrays”) that it is now not bootable (though the files are still accessible from alpha 4/beta 1 and Mint 10). As if that didn’t cause additional aggravation, I then tried to get back into the forum to post the latest problem update I was locked out due to "too many login attempts". I haven't been able to get back in until now.
I now have two problems. Should I just re-install 8.5 preserving home and trying to use the nVidia driver set somehow this time since I do want 8.5 running & how do I get that driver installed in alpha 4/beta 1 when my asus K8N-E board (at least as far as I can tell) will not boot via USB. My primary concern is still getting TT running since I have both alpha 4 & Mint 10 as alternate OS’s.
(You've actually run Think Tanks and connected online?)

Thanks in advance again everyone (and particularly you Brooko for your patience)

Jeff

Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:55 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Post # 258982
Jeff

On your 8.5 install - just boot from live-cd, and you should be able to 'repair X' using one of Warren's system tools. I'm not at my Linux box at the moment - so I can't walk you through the correct tool/procedure. Hopefully someone else will be able to quickly guide you. That will get you bootable again into 8.5 without reinstalling.

As far as TT goes. Yes it works on 11 - although I haven't tried to go online.

My suggestion for you - to avoid a lot of hassle -
Wait until a release candidate for 11 is ready (should hopefully only be a few weeks). At that stage the actual live-dvd should be working properly. Then install 11 using the nvidia option. You'll get a working driver OOTB with no mucking around. Then it's just a matter of installing TT and running it.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:09 pm
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Post # 258999
Hi Brooko,
Ok. I'm thinking I found a way to get a USB drive to boot.
Where do I find simple (emphasizing simple lol) instructions to create a USB of Mepis Beta 1?

thanks
Jeff

Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next