Error when installing GCompris via Synaptic

Here people can ask questions concerning how to install or configure games. Anything related to games in MEPIS or linux can be asked here. Also tutorials about this can be posted here.
reidun
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Error when installing GCompris via Synaptic

#1 Postby reidun » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi, I'm trying to download and install the GCompris educational game using Synaptic. I just get the following error at the end of the download and install:

Code: Select all

W: Failed to fetch ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gcompris/gcompris-data_9.3-1_all.deb
  Connection timeout

Not sure if I should be using a different repository or what this means. I'm installing onto a laptop with Mepis 11. I also have a desktop with M8.5 where GCompris downloaded and installed just fine.

Any help would be much appreciated!

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Error when installing GCompris via Synaptic

#2 Postby kmathern » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:12 pm

reidun wrote:Hi, I'm trying to download and install the GCompris educational game using Synaptic. I just get the following error at the end of the download and install:

Code: Select all

W: Failed to fetch ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gcompris/gcompris-data_9.3-1_all.deb
  Connection timeout

Not sure if I should be using a different repository or what this means. I'm installing onto a laptop with Mepis 11. I also have a desktop with M8.5 where GCompris downloaded and installed just fine.

Any help would be much appreciated!

I recall you having "Connection timeout" problems one other time and later in that thread I came up with some other repos you could use instead of the default Debian "ftp://ftp.debian.org" repo. You said the York University mirror worked so you might try it again.

iridesce
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Postby iridesce » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:44 pm

Downloaded it and seems to work fine here - sometimes I run into similar problems and just have to wait for a day or so to let the repository settle down { ITspeak answer }

If that doesn't work, please come back and let us know that too.

.......................... :spinning: ......................
...Ostara.................................... minni
Image Image
...Mepis 11_64...........................Mepis 11_32

reidun
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Postby reidun » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:34 pm

Wow, kmathern, you have an excellent memory!

Thanks for reminding me about the York University repo. I enabled it and disabled the debian one and it worked just fine. My kids thank you too!

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Postby lucky9 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:33 pm

A timeout error is always a network problem. Usually related to the repository that you're using. Either waiting for a while or changing repositories should always 'fix' it.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “Gamers”