View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
My Dilemma 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 671 times
Post # 273687
Post My Dilemma
MEPIS 11 is another masterpiece of software engineering and I'm looking forward to installing it "for real" on my system after experimenting with it as a virtual machine and as a Live DVD in the aufs mode. What I love the most is that the proprietary driver for my NVidia graphics chipset is pre-installed from the get-go, making 3D rendering available without my having to lift a finger! That's really a nice touch. And the DVD provides enough space to include the necessary multimedia packages that provide users with a rich experience right off the bat.

Congratulations, Warren and to all the MEPIS elves, for a job well done. :yourock:

However, I have a dilemma. When I partitioned my HDDs, I stupidly did not think ahead and provide a test partition for new releases. Hence, I must uninstall my trusty SM 8.5 on the / and /home partitions before doing a clean installation of SM 11 (I was advised by the MEPIS experts to only do a clean installation of a production OS). The trouble is that SM 8.5 is running absolutely flawlessly on my computer, and there is not a single thing I would change about it! So I cannot decide whether to replace one perfect OS with another perfect version, or to continue enjoying the OS I already have. Everyone should be so lucky to face my dilemma!

You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Sat May 14, 2011 12:29 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 31 times
Post # 273688
Post Re: My Dilemma
As long as Mepis can be set up for dual booting...

If that was my dilemma I would just buy another hard drive. I would partition it the way I wanted for now AND the future. I would then take an image of my current (running) system and restore it on one of the partitions on the new HDD. Then I would install the new OS on a different partition.

This would not have been a serious option in the past due to the cost of a drive. But nowdays the drives are so cheap I wouldn't give it much of a thought.

That's my thought, but the Mepis experts can give you much more accurate information and maybe more appropriate recommendations.

Sat May 14, 2011 12:44 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 913 times
Post # 273689
joany wrote:
However, I have a dilemma. When I partitioned my HDDs, I stupidly did not think ahead and provide a test partition for new releases. Hence, I must uninstall my trusty SM 8.5 on the / and /home partitions before doing a clean installation of SM 11 (I was advised by the MEPIS experts to only do a clean installation of a production OS). The trouble is that SM 8.5 is running absolutely flawlessly on my computer, and there is not a single thing I would change about it! So I cannot decide whether to replace one perfect OS with another perfect version, or to continue enjoying the OS I already have. Everyone should be so lucky to face my dilemma!

Hard drives are cheap.

Edit:

Tovian beat me to it.

No rep though.

Sat May 14, 2011 12:45 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 1915 times
Post # 273692
Well first of all--it's good to see you around here again!

I did what Uncle "wheres-my-rep" Mark suggests: bought and put in a new hard drive (taxing all of my ability with the physical computer), then installed M11 and started a new very big data partition. M85 runs very well for me too, but I find a lot of KDE things have been worked out in M11, and appreciate the change. Now that I have M11 working as I would like, I hardly ever go back to M85.

Sat May 14, 2011 12:53 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 61 times
Post # 273693
[quote="(I was advised by the MEPIS experts to only do a clean installation of a production OS). The trouble is that SM 8.5 is running absolutely flawlessly on my computer, and there is not a single thing I would change about it! So I cannot decide whether to replace one perfect OS with another perfect version, or to continue enjoying the OS I already have. Everyone should be so lucky to face my dilemma![/quote]

I was wondering whether I did a mistake to remove 8.5 and to replace it with 11. I am also wondering if keeping my home folder is responsible for the many bugs I have been faced with Mepis 11.

As far as I am concerned 8.5 is more stable and seems to be better tuned. I like the fact version 11 delivers bluetooth and recognizes my wireless keyboard but it has too many weird bugs. My recommendation is to keep 8.5 untill most major bugs are ironed out from 11 and then replace your operating system. I don't see the need to have two different operating systems accessing the same files.

My two cents.

Michel

Sat May 14, 2011 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 671 times
Post # 273694
Hi Tovian and uncle mark. The problem isn't the lack of space on my HDDs, but rather my lack of foresight when I originally partitioned them. The first HDD is my main storage disk and the second (older) HDD is for storing backups. I don't like the idea of repartitioning the first HDD because there's always the risk of losing data when doing that, which would be a PITA even though I have everything backed up. I wouldn't have a problem with repartitioning the second HDD, but I think keeping my OS partitions on the first HDD is a better practice and there is less chance of confusing the bootloader doing it that way. Also, the second HDD is older (and has a greater probability of failing), and I would have to back up the OS from the old HDD on the new HDD, which would really be confusing. Adding a third HDD is also an option, but it seems a bit of overkill.

Actually, the intent of this thread was not to find a solution, but to express how great both SM 11 and SM 8.5 are.

You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Sat May 14, 2011 1:02 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 913 times
Post # 273695
joany wrote:
Actually, the intent of this thread was not to find a solution, but to express how great both SM 11 and SM 8.5 are.

Yeah, I knew that. Heck, I think you and I both stayed with M6.5 until circumstances forced our hands. Me, I skipped M7 altogether and moved to M8. Have been happy as a clam with it, and never adopted M8.5 beyond setting it up on a "play" partition so I could learn my way around KDE4 and prepare myself for the inevitable. I really had no compelling reason to move to M11, but when I finally updated my hardware it seemed the only sensible thing to do. I jumped the gun at RC1 and haven't looked back. It's been really fun. I'm still running into all kinds of "Cool!" and "Neato!" moments.

Sat May 14, 2011 1:11 pm
Administrator

Have thanks: 1442 times
Post # 273698
michelmassoud wrote:
[quote="(I was advised by the MEPIS experts to only do a clean installation of a production OS). The trouble is that SM 8.5 is running absolutely flawlessly on my computer, and there is not a single thing I would change about it! So I cannot decide whether to replace one perfect OS with another perfect version, or to continue enjoying the OS I already have. Everyone should be so lucky to face my dilemma!

I was wondering whether I did a mistake to remove 8.5 and to replace it with 11. I am also wondering if keeping my home folder is responsible for the many bugs I have been faced with Mepis 11.

As far as I am concerned 8.5 is more stable and seems to be better tuned. I like the fact version 11 delivers bluetooth and recognizes my wireless keyboard but it has too many weird bugs. My recommendation is to keep 8.5 untill most major bugs are ironed out from 11 and then replace your operating system. I don't see the need to have two different operating systems accessing the same files.

My two cents.

Michel

May very well be the fact you saved home. And my two cents, if running 8.5 without problems and you are happy with it, stay with it. If you want Warren's latest version install M11. But do not stay with 8.5 out of fear that M11 is less stable because it is not.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Sat May 14, 2011 1:35 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 446 times
Post # 273701
joany wrote:
When I partitioned my HDDs, I stupidly did not think ahead and provide a test partition for new releases. Hence, I must uninstall my trusty SM 8.5 on the / and /home partitions before doing a clean installation of SM 11

Is the problem one of limited total HDD space, or is it just the current layout? There are several ways you can rearrange things so you can keep M8.5 if you like, and without purchasing another HDD.

I faced a different but similar situation, which I finally attacked during the RC3 phase. After imaging M8.5 and some other things I wanted to keep, I stripped down my HDD until there was nothing left but a 30GB XP partition at sda1. Then I started from scratch and laid things out in a more sensible manner than what I had before. It's not hard, just a little nerve wracking until you get your treasured OS back up and running.

Sat May 14, 2011 1:51 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 1915 times
Post # 273707
If I understand joany's second post here, she does not have a "problem" in the usual sense of the word as we all understood it at first.

She has two excellent versions of MEPIS in front of her and posts to praise, not to bury.

Sat May 14, 2011 2:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next