View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Distrowatch review 
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 275893
Post Distrowatch review
Did any of you see Distrowatch Weekly (Issue #407)?

From the review's ending paragraph:
Quote:
My week with SimplyMEPIS may be one of the most intuitive and smooth experiences I've had when using an operating system. Everything worked out of the box, the desktop was responsive and there's lots of software available (both on the DVD and in the repositories). The desktop theme is attractive, I found it easy to find what I wanted and none of the usual modern "features" were present to distract me from what I was doing. The 11.0 release is a great combination of modern software on a stable base and I recommend giving it a try.

I agree: Mepis 11 is a great distribution. Thanks for such a great work; keep it up!

Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:06 am
Profile WWW
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 1 time
Post # 276169
Post Re: Distrowatch review
That review on Distrowatch, along with the one at Blogspot, were the main reasons I tried Mepis 11. So glad I did. It's been a while since I ran a KDE distro and I had heard some bad things about KDE 4. Well, Mepis allayed my fears of it, they did a beautiful job taming KDE 4 and making it usable.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:29 pm

ken h thanked by: Jerry3904
Profile WWW
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 1953 times
Post # 276173
ken h wrote:
That review on Distrowatch, along with the one at Blogspot, were the main reasons I tried Mepis 11. So glad I did. It's been a while since I ran a KDE distro and I had heard some bad things about KDE 4. Well, Mepis allayed my fears of it, they did a beautiful job taming KDE 4 and making it usable.

I would say that's an example of Warren listening to what the community wanted. Many had already tested KDE 4 and knew where it fell short or could be made to act more like KDE 3, and he responded by making fixes, not just telling users to "get used to it" like some other distros.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:34 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 910 times
Post # 276175
Stevo wrote:
ken h wrote:

I would say that's an example of Warren listening to what the community wanted. Many had already tested KDE 4 and knew where it fell short or could be made to act more like KDE 3, and he responded by making fixes, not just telling users to "get used to it" like some other distros.

What I've always liked about MEPIS, since back in the 3.4-3 days, was that his tweaks and configs and customizations of the default KDE desktop are very, very close to what I would do myself. We seem to be on the same page. (I get the same feeling with PCLOS, to a lesser extent.) Sure, I do make some changes, but nothing very substantial. I'd be happy using MEPIS as-is, straight out of the box.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:46 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 627 times
Post # 276194
I don't think anybody needed to tell Warren that, he uses MEPIS so he did that for his benefit in the first place, it's always good when people "eat their own dog food" sometimes I wonder if other developers use their products. Does Shuttleworth really use Unity? Did KDE people really use KDE 4.0?

Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]