Mepis feedback

Here you can post a testimonial about why you like or love MEPIS. Include as much detail and info as you wish.
lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Mepis feedback

#21 Postby lucky9 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:26 am

There is a perceptible difference when I use my 10 inch Netbook. There are only so many pixels available on a smaller screen. Increasing the size of the fonts can make a big difference to me.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#22 Postby KBD » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:50 am

I keep my fonts set comfortably large on my netbook. Right now I'm using LMDE with LXDE desktop and the fonts look great. Earlier I tried Zevenos Debian with KDE desktop, and the fonts were horrible. I've yet to find a KDE distro that the fonts are not bad for me. I also tried Zevenos mini with the LXDE desktop, and fonts were bad there too. Need to find out what Mint is doing with its Debian distros fonts and copy it :-)
KBD47

arjaybe
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#23 Postby arjaybe » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:49 pm

It's possible they're using the Ubuntu fonts. Have you experimented with different fonts?
Intel Celeron 1007U with integrated HD Graphics 2500, 4GB RAM

The question is half the size of the universe, and the answer takes up the other half.

Green Comet

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#24 Postby KBD » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:07 pm

Actually Mepis is set up with one of the best fonts IMO Dejavu Sans. Changing fonts can only do so much. I remember when I installed the Kubuntu desktop onto Ubuntu 11.10, it totally messed up the font rendering, changing fonts made no difference. I even removed the Kubuntu desktop, but it left the lousy font rendering behind. I finally removed the fontconfig file and got back the decent Ubuntu font rendering. So there is something in the font configuration files that messes up font rendering in some desktops and distros. It's above my pay grade, I just know when they look good to me and when they don't. I'm not alone, as mentioned by someone in an earlier post, others have noticed the poor font rendering.

arjaybe
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#25 Postby arjaybe » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:03 pm

Have you checked out anti-aliasing and DPI in System Settings - Application Appearance - Fonts?

The question is half the size of the universe, and the answer takes up the other half.

Green Comet

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#26 Postby KBD » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:33 pm

I had it set for anti-aliasing enabled and slight hinting.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#27 Postby lucky9 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:26 am

I use medium hinting here and I'd use a higher setting if I thought it was needed.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

arjaybe
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#28 Postby arjaybe » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:06 am

Mine's medium too.

Green Comet

ashtonford
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#29 Postby ashtonford » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:48 am

the xubuntu is much sharper and clearer

m, as

mentioned, regular Debian Stable looks worse than Mepis, but I don't have those on my computer.

Mepis 11:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/J ... directlink

Xubuntu 11.10:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/U ... directlink

Note that I have an AAO with a ten inch screen that I'm rather close to. I imagine on anything over 20 inches that you are setting some distance away from font rendering is probably not as noticeable.
KBD[/quote]

KBD
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#30 Postby KBD » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:20 am

ashtonford wrote:the xubuntu is much sharper and clearer

Yes, on my computer Xubuntu 11.10 looks much better than Mepis 11, fonts are full and clean and smooth. Debian Stable and KDE fonts look weak, shadowy, and spidery.
I've tried various settings and fonts but there is just something wrong in the font configuration files or something else in those systems.

m, as

mentioned, regular Debian Stable looks worse than Mepis, but I don't have those on my computer.

Mepis 11:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/J ... directlink

Xubuntu 11.10:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/U ... directlink

Note that I have an AAO with a ten inch screen that I'm rather close to. I imagine on anything over 20 inches that you are setting some distance away from font rendering is probably not as noticeable.
KBD
[/quote]

Return to “Testimonials”