Community Repository - Final Addresses

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#31 Postby kmathern » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:26 pm

lucky9 wrote:I guess Copy&Paste was a bad idea?

Yes I can click the second link and get there. But the second link is the one that gives the error in Synaptic. The second link is what is in (enabled in) /etc/apt/sources.list. The second link is what is throwing up the first link as the error. That whole line (the first link plus 4.4 not found) is what Synaptic says when I reload with the second link enabled and mepis as preferred.

I see Davo already gave you what to put in sources.list.

That 2nd link you had is just a location that you can goto in the browser to see which repos exist for various distribution/releases of Mepis (i.e. 7.0, 8.0, 8.5).

That link is not what actually goes into the sources.list entry (its close).

ko
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#32 Postby ko » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:28 am

@Brooko:

There's a typo in your original post (under MEPIS 8.5 ONLY, just after the long string of console commands)

This will add all 4 Mepis 8 repo addresses to your sources list

That line should read 8.5, not 8.

Ko
Ko Bros Linux User #312596.  MX14.4, MX14.3, Mepis 12, Debian 7, antiX 15, Peppermint 5...and sometimes Win7

TheRocket
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#33 Postby TheRocket » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:24 pm

I am trying to install Pidgin 2.6, which I understand is part of the community repos. I have copied the sources.list from http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/Sources.list_MEPIS_8.5, restarted Synaptic and then I clicked on reload. 2.4.3-4lenny5 if my only option. I did this process a number of times and then I noticed that when I reload I am getting some packages with a "Failed" status. Is this why I can't get Pidgin 2.6? What does the failed status mean?

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#34 Postby lucky9 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:59 pm

Change your Preferences in Synaptic to prefer mepis (in the Distribution tab). Be sure and change it back afterward.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#35 Postby kmathern » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:02 pm

TheRocket wrote:I am trying to install Pidgin 2.6, which I understand is part of the community repos. I have copied the sources.list from http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/Sources.list_MEPIS_8.5, restarted Synaptic and then I clicked on reload. 2.4.3-4lenny5 if my only option. I did this process a number of times and then I noticed that when I reload I am getting some packages with a "Failed" status. Is this why I can't get Pidgin 2.6? What does the failed status mean?

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide.

I'm seeing 2.6.4 & 2.6.6 versions of pidgin in the CR main repo and main testrepo that were built for Mepis 8.0 (not 8.5). Pidgin might be installable from the 8.0 CR's but I would recommend waiting until it officially appears in the 8.5 CR.

TheRocket
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#36 Postby TheRocket » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:19 pm

lucky9 - I tried that, but no difference, but based on what kmathern says, it looks like it is a waiting game for me. Thanks to both of you, I await someone smarter than me to make Pidgin 2.6 available.

chatan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#37 Postby chatan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:18 pm

For a while now since playing with 8.5, I've been somewhat confused about the Community Repos, Preferences, and debian-multimedia repos. I think I finally figured it out and summarized my understanding (hopefuly newbie friendly) by editing the Recommended 8.5 Sources.list wiki page:
http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/Sources.list_MEPIS_8.5
Please look it over...

One thing I noticed while trying to figure it out was there were many places that discussed it (Mepis Community website, Wiki, and several Threads, both stickied and unstickied).
I would recommend that one place (above wiki link?) be the master one-stop-shop of the recommended Community repository for most users.

Thanks all!
Cheers

Return to “Old Announcements”