MEPIS Community Forum

A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Mepis 8.5 Cr - Apt Preferences (important) 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 135 times
Post # 228247
Post Mepis 8.5 Cr - Apt Preferences (important)
After a lot of research - an there is no perfect solution I can find - I can now recommend following if yiu are using 8.5 and also using the 8.5 Community CR package repositories.

Open /etc/apt/preferences file (edit as su), and between these two entries:

Quote:
Package: *
Pin: release o=MEPIS
Pin-Priority: 901

Pin: release o=Debian
Pin-Priority: 800

add this one (highlighted for you)

Quote:

[HIGHLIGHT="yellow"]Package: *
Pin: release a=mepis
Pin-Priority: 901[/HIGHLIGHT]

Here are the reasons for the change:
  • Synaptic should always be set to prefer the highest version
  • Debian releases very few new changes to stable - most are security changes - and these we can track.
  • By pinning at same level as Warren's - the highest version will always be preferred - which may not necessarily be his (ref amarok 2.3 now in CR).

This is the only method I can see to reliably allow the CR repos to act the way they should. I've changed my previous posts re apt preferences to reflect this new change.

I am recommending this method to Warren.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 651 times
Post # 228729
I use the Community Repos occasionally to install packages, but I don't typically leave the CRs enabled all the time. Do the changes to /etc/apt/preferences listed in the OP need to be removed when I disable the CRs, or can I just leave them in there permanently?

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:10 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 228745
Leave then there permanent Joany. It won't adversely affect anything - but means that you can leave synaptic itself on the "prefer highest" setting.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:29 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 282 times
Post # 229476
Leave then there permanent Joany. It won't adversely affect anything - but means that you can leave synaptic itself on the "prefer highest" setting.

I'm confused guys. I just finished cleaning up a Windows installation on a laptop yesterday as a favor to someone, as the owner hasn't used it since September of last year when his wireless quit working

Well... after ridding it of malware, installing newer drivers for his wireless, installing all Windows updates and Service Packs, installing Avira Antivir, Malwarebytes and Threatfire; I repartitioned the drive and installed both Mint 8 and Mepis 8.5 on it, along with his Vista install.

I wanted to set up the 3 OS's where they looked mostly the same, with icons on the desktop for HP Printer utilities, Acrobat Reader, VLC for playing media, OO.org for Office work (using the go-OO version with his Vista install), Picasa, and Firefox (since this person has a simple Digital Camera and HP Printer they want to use with it and I wanted easy to use programs on all 3 with icons on them). Then, go through how to use each one with him and let him try it for a while to see what he likes best.

Well... while installing Mepis 8.5 last night, VLC was an issue with the Community repos enabled and Synaptic set to highest. Ditto for the solutions offered by aptitude (always requiring a downgrade of ffmeg and changes to lots of other packages if you wanted to use the newer VLC 1.05 version).

I finally tried setting Synaptic to prefer Mepis and tried it, and then it was able to load install 1.05 while updating a lot of other packages.

I wouldn't have known to try that if not seeing this thread about it (as I don't know much about pinning, etc.):

http://mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25621

So, if it's better to leave it set to highest, why did I see those symptoms until I set Synaptic to prefer Mepis (it was set to prefer Highest) and find threads noting that setting it to prefer Mepis works?

I just finished backing up the laptop to a disk image file, now that I've got it setup and ready to go back to the owner.

Should I leave it as is (prefer Mepis), or set it to prefer highest?

I've got the stable 8.5 Community repos enabled (main, restricted) with prefer Mepis set now (I installed from the new 8.5 USB .iso and it came set as prefer Highest, so I had to change it to prefer Mepis to get VLC 1.0.5 to install for some reason).

Mon May 03, 2010 7:58 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 229477

I have to ask this. Did you follow the procedure in post #1 of this thread? That's why it is posted as an announcement.

Did you add the highlighted bit, save the file and then reload in Synaptic?

I can assure you it does work. And others can attest to the fact as well.

The reason to adopt this method rather than "preferring MEPIS" in synaptic is that it's a set and forget solution. It will always then upgrade to the highest (or latest) software.

Mon May 03, 2010 8:11 am
Administrator

Have thanks: 1402 times
Post # 229479
I was a prefer Mepis person, until I followed Brooko's suggestion in the first post. I initially did not see the advantage of it, but clearly an upgrade could very well reset it. So it is the right way way to handle the situation, and it works.

Hopefully Warren will give official sanction to the CR repos and adjust the configurations accordingly with future upgrades and releases.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Mon May 03, 2010 8:32 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 229480
No, I didn't do the pin step. Is that different than just setting Synaptic to prefer Highest (which is the way Synaptic was already set)?

Another observation is that KMyMoney and Bibbletime were not updated to newer versions until I set Synaptic to prefer Mepis versus Highest with the 8.5 Community repos enabled.

But, I didn't try to manually pin anything (I'm not very familiar with how that kind of thing works).

BTW, here's the way the desktop looks that I setup for this man (elderly man that my wife goes to church with that's not very computer literate). He used to be a minister so I thought having a newer version of BibbleTime installed in Mepis would be a good idea, too (thanks to the work of you guys helping out with the Community Repos). I've got Mint 8 and Vista setup with most of the same icons on their desktops and panels.

Click for larger version:

[url=http://www.pbase.com/image/124172520/original.jpg]
[/url]

Mon May 03, 2010 8:33 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 229482

Even thought the icon for BibleTime says 1.6.5.1, it's actually 2.6 (it updated to the newer version after I changed Synaptic to prefer Mepis).

BTW, I found good weather applet called yaWP if you guys haven't found one you like yet. You can see forecast info and a weather map using the buttons on the top left of it.

Here's a screen showing it's info. Click for a larger version:

[url=http://www.pbase.com/image/124172521/original.jpg]
[/url]

I'm using CleanClock (a clock I found with some searching and trying a lot of them).

Mon May 03, 2010 8:46 am
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 229484

Step by step - here is the easy way to do it.

1. <alt> + <F2> - to start krunner
  2. kdesu kwrite /etc/apt/preferences - put this in the dialogue box and hit enter
  3. You'll be prompted for your root password
  4. Kwrite will open with your etc/apt preferences file open.
  5. Between these two entries
    Quote:

Inset this section (its the one I highlighted)
    Quote:

[HIGHLIGHT="yellow"]Package: *
    Pin: release a=mepis
    Pin-Priority: 901[/HIGHLIGHT]

6. Click save and close the file.
  7. Open synaptic - make sure the preference is set to prefer highest version.
  8. Click the reload button

Now it will always get the highest version available.

BTW - nice desktop - I also use YAWP

Mon May 03, 2010 8:59 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 229488
Thanks. I just changed it (preferences file and synaptic preferences) and it didn't look like it tried to mess up anything when I clicked on Reload, Mark All Upgrades, Apply (everything stayed the same).

BTW, is there an easy way to remove Widgets you've installed from the list you see when you click on Add Widgets? I've accidentally installed some of the same widgets more than once (so, I'd like to remove the dupes from the list that pops up).

Mon May 03, 2010 9:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next