MX & MEPIS Community Forum

Linux operating systems based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
New Forum Software Test Site 
Administrator

Have thanks: 1496 times
Post # 253557
Post New Forum Software Test Site
A team has been working on a proposal of converting the Forum to phpBB software. We have a test site setup that has been tuned to a point that we believe meets our needs. It is a snapshot of MepisLovers from about May 1, 2010. The project has Warren's full support.

We would like to solicit your comments. Please consider and comment on what features you feel are missing, what features you like, and what you do not like. Make your comments in the"Forum User Comments" section. The other sections are readable, but not writable.

Test Forum Link

http://www.mepiscommunity.org/forum/

Since it is a snapshot from May of this year, if you registered here after the snapshot was taken, you will not be able to access it. Otherwise you can use the same username and password you use here. Furthermore new registrations have been blocked as it is a test site, unsuitable for new forum users.

Be aware that modifications that add new features are not easy to implement and may have unforeseen consequences. Only those deemed absolutely necessary will be considered. Do not use this test Forum for any other purpose than commenting about it. The main ML forum remains for that purpose.

You may find this forum different in look, layout or function to what you are used to. Please limit comments on such differences to those that have serious consequences for the user that will not disappear with more familiarity.

The reasons for considering this software change are as follows:

1. Our copy of Vbulletin is quite old, and an upgrade entails a subscription cost.
2. phpBB can be upgraded as new versions become available easily and at no cost.
3. phpBB has some very good anti-spam tools.
4. phpBB is Open Source.

Rich

Production: Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14.2 Symbiosis
Virtualbox: Windows 7
Alternate: Kubuntu 14.10, KDE 4.11.2

Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:23 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 898 times
Post # 253592
I may be missing it but is there an 'unread messages' or 'todays posts' implemented?

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:41 pm
Administrator

Have thanks: 1496 times
Post # 253593
I may be missing it but is there an 'unread messages' or 'todays posts' implemented?

View unread posts in the top blue bar. There is no today's posts as there is on VB's index page. I checked and there is a mod that does implement it. The closest thing is order by date at the bottom of the thread.

Rich

Production: Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14.2 Symbiosis
Virtualbox: Windows 7
Alternate: Kubuntu 14.10, KDE 4.11.2

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:49 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 898 times
Post # 253594

Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:26 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]