XP installation as a guest OS in VirtualBox ( SP 1,2,3 )

Here you can post threads/topics about programs like vmware, parallels, qemu, virtualbox, dosbox and all the other virtual machines/emulators that exist. This includes how to setup, suggestions on what works well with MEPIS and what doesn't, etc.
Col. Headers
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: XP installation as a guest OS in VirtualBox ( SP1, SP2

#11 Postby Col. Headers » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:15 am

I don't know about WinXP, but I installed SP1 on a Win7 virtual machine directly from the Internet without any problems. Here's how to clone a virtual machine.

Code: Select all

VBoxManage clonehd existing.vdi newclone.vdi

iridesce
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: XP installation as a guest OS in VirtualBox ( SP 1,2,3

#12 Postby iridesce » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:48 pm

Thanks for everyone's input on this. Its been a long regular week, so finally yesterday I was able to get back to this.

In the end I did just backup the .vdi file.

Bringing the XP installation from SP1 to SP3 involved upgrading to SP2 via the link in the original post. That went well :p
Once SP2 was installed, I was able to upgrade to SP3 via the Windows Update process.

@PhantomTramp's - Your approach is definitely intriguing - though I couldn't get it to install :frown: . I downloaded the first ISO link and then tried to install it as a guest OS - no joy.
Did I need to physically burn it to a disk? Am I missing a step?

@Col. Headers - I am sure that, in the future, I will be looking for your post and link ;)

@qtech - I read your link re: slipstreaming :hmm: - I really liked that one could remove components ( media player, messaging, etc. ) from the installation process thereby creating a smaller guest OS focused on just the components needed. When I have time, I will definately be playing with this.

And so, mark this one closed Danno

........................... :spinning: ...........................
...Ostara.................................... minni
Image Image
...Mepis 11_64...........................Mepis 11_32

Return to “VMs/Emulators”