MEPIS Community Forum

A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
mepis 8.0 64bit with Firefox 9 and Thunderbird 9? 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 7 times
Post # 294074
Post Re: mepis 8.0 64bit with Firefox 9 and Thunderbird 9?
Stevo wrote:
Clarifying what uncle mark said, the ia32libs are useful for running the 32-bit version on a 64-bit platform.

What is possible, and I had a system running perfectly fine doing it, is to add the MEPIS 8.5 and 8.5 Community Repos to an 8.0 system and upgrade Firefox from there. It will upgrade the necessary libraries as necessary, such as a newer GTK 2.0 and glib, while leaving KDE 3.5 alone. Just don't go hog-wild and upgrade everything possible.
You can upgrade most anything that is not KDE 4 related, however.

Hmmm...that may make a good wiki entry. I know many are sticking with KDE 3.5. I did this on an older machine with limited memory with great success.

I did this, but I could not find any FF 9, nor TB 9. in the synaptic.
How come?
Thanks!

Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:37 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 2292 times
Post # 294077
mahmood arbab wrote:
Stevo wrote:
Clarifying what uncle mark said, the ia32libs are useful for running the 32-bit version on a 64-bit platform.

What is possible, and I had a system running perfectly fine doing it, is to add the MEPIS 8.5 and 8.5 Community Repos to an 8.0 system and upgrade Firefox from there. It will upgrade the necessary libraries as necessary, such as a newer GTK 2.0 and glib, while leaving KDE 3.5 alone. Just don't go hog-wild and upgrade everything possible.

Hmmm...that may make a good wiki entry. I know many are sticking with KDE 3.5. I did this on an older machine with limited memory with great success.

How come?
Thanks!

The FF9 & TB9 packages are in the M8.5 testrepo.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:42 pm
Administrator

Have thanks: 1428 times
Post # 294078
mahmood arbab wrote:
Stevo wrote:

How come?
Thanks!

Did you have the CR repos in your sources.list and enabled? Did you have Mepis as the preferred highest version?

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:44 pm

richb thanked by: lucky9
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 2 times
Post # 294081
Just to clarify: I guess I should have specified that I had to take the less acceptable method of DLing FF and TB ver 9 from Mozilla (see earlier post by kmathern), and then using the right click on the desktop to "create new link to application". I did the same with the 32 bit version many months ago, and I use the update channel that's built into each app (under help) to do app upgrades. I realize that that isn't the best way to do it as Synaptic doesn't have any way to keep up with the app. Still, any old port in a storm, as the saying goes. So far I haven't had any problems, but I'd rather have the newer version in the repo and use Synaptic. At least the above method gets the latest FF and TB going - just remember to use the 64-bit version of the app that was mentioned in an earlier post if you're running Mepis 64-bit. That was the error I made that began this thread.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:10 pm
Administrator

Have thanks: 1428 times
Post # 294082
itech wrote:
Just to clarify: I guess I should have specified that I had to take the less acceptable method of DLing FF and TB ver 9 from Mozilla and using the right click on the desktop to "create new link to application". I did the same with the 32 bit version many months ago, and I use the update channel that's built into each app (under help) to do app upgrades. I realize that that isn't the best way to do it as Synaptic doesn't have any way to keep up with the app. Still, any old port in a storm, as the saying goes. So far I haven't had any problems, but I'd rather have the newer version in the repo and use Synaptic. At least the above method gets the latest FF and TB going - just remember to use the 64-bit version that was mentioned in an earlier post if you're running Mepis 64-bit. That was the error I made that began this thread.

Nothing wrong with that approach, and I would not qualify it as "not the best way". It works and does not compromise your system. I am running the Firefox nightly build that way, when I use it, Google -Chrome is my default, and it is at ver. 12.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:16 pm
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 2 times
Post # 294083
Good to know that I'm not alone. I only mentioned it because I've occasionally seen someone suggesting that offering such advice might corrupt some newbies in their pursuit of textbook install methods. :happy:

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:21 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 910 times
Post # 294084
Post Re: mepis 8.0 64bit with Firefox 9 and Thunderbird 9? - Fixe
itech wrote:
Yes, the 32 bit versions I initially used were the problem. As soon as I DLed the 64-bit versions the problems disappeared. I should have caught that after many years on Linux distros, but this was my first foray into the 64-bit realm and it simply didn't occur me - but it will next time.

When I set up this first 64bit machine last year, I immediately started installing all the stuff I do to get an install up to snuff. One of the first things I did was enable the debian-multimedia repos and start pulling down the restricted stuff. Had a head scratching, WTF? moment when the w32codecs package was nowhere to be found.

Of course, w64codecs was available.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:24 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 294087
Thanks guys!
I enabled the CRs and made sure the synaptic is set for the highest version preference. Then reloaded. I now see firefox3 version 3.5.16 as installed one and beyond that I see all firefox-l10n-xx version 9.0.1 including the en version, which its description say the English language translation package. Ditto for TB version 9.0.
Are these the one that you refer to?

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:49 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 1953 times
Post # 294090
mahmood arbab wrote:
Thanks guys!
I enabled the CRs and made sure the synaptic is set for the highest version preference. Then reloaded. I now see firefox3 version 3.5.16 as installed one and beyond that I see all firefox-l10n-xx version 9.0.1 including the en version, which its description say the English language translation package. Ditto for TB version 9.0.
Are these the one that you refer to?

Those are language packs, I think if you look closer you'll find the main "firefox-9.0.1" in the list, as in the actual repo:
http://main.mepis-deb.org/mepiscr/testr ... f/firefox/

as you can see, alphabetically the actual program deb ends up right next to the bottom.

Repeating, you need to set "mepis" as the preferred distribution (at the bottom of the three choices), and the test community and the main community repository,plus the official MEPIS 8.5 repo (probably that new mirror) as well, since I think you'll have to upgrade gtk2 from it. You might try without the MEPIS 8.5 repo, just to see if it fails; there is a slight chance you may not need the newer libgtk2.0.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:19 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post # 294110
Thanks Steveo & Others!
Your guidance helped. I now have FF 9.0.1 & TB 9.0 installed. So far, they are functioning well.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2