Anyone familiar with PeerGuardian?

For help or questions about 64-bit version of MEPIS, this is the forum to use.
Message
Author
User avatar
Rott3nHippi3
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:31 am

Anyone familiar with PeerGuardian?

#1 Postby Rott3nHippi3 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:27 am

I added the repos to install PeerGuardian and all looked good for a bit. But then I lost total access to my internet and the app would no longer open up (similar to that issue I had with Ardour, where the loading icon would bounce around and then nothing). I had no choice but to uninstall everything in Synaptic to get some stability back. Anyone have some experience installing this and can offer some "best guides" to configure it? I'm kinda lost when it comes to all the settings (whitelists, ports to open, etc).
Mepis 11 64-bit / AMD A6-5400K Dual Core / ASROCK FM2A75-Pro4 / 8GB DDR3 1333 / ATI Radeon HD6550D
Mepis 11 64-bit / Intel Pentium IV / Intel 954G / 2GB DDR

User avatar
joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 6109
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:45 pm

Re: Anyone familiar with PeerGuardian?

#2 Postby joany » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:20 pm

According to Wikipedia, the developers of Peer Guardian are asking users to migrate to Peer Block. Wouldn't a properly-configured firewall accomplish the same thing?
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

User avatar
Acesabe
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1458
Age: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:31 am

Re: Anyone familiar with PeerGuardian?

#3 Postby Acesabe » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:34 pm

Relevant info here: http://moblock-deb.sourceforge.net/ If you aren't confident with firewall rules/iptables etc. and networking, you should consider *not* using this! If you connect to the web via a router, you are already protected - usually.

User avatar
joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 6109
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:45 pm

Re: Anyone familiar with PeerGuardian?

#4 Postby joany » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:07 pm

As an alternative to Peer Block, you could try blacklisting outgoing traffic using Firestarter. Here's a page from the Firestarter manual about whitelisting and blacklisting URLs. http://www.fs-security.com/docs/policy-page.php

The GUI makes this very easy (even I can do it, and I don't know squat about iptables).
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

User avatar
Rott3nHippi3
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:31 am

Re: Anyone familiar with PeerGuardian?

#5 Postby Rott3nHippi3 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:04 pm

Acesabe wrote:Relevant info here: http://moblock-deb.sourceforge.net/ If you aren't confident with firewall rules/iptables etc. and networking, you should consider *not* using this! If you connect to the web via a router, you are already protected - usually.

I am behind a firewalled router, but I was more interested in the preconfigured blacklist for known P2P spies (incoming). Let's just say I would prefer my tracks to remain anonymous as it pertains to RIAA and MPAA spy games! LOL!!
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=22413

http://www.dailytech.com/Recording+Indu ... e22429.htm
Mepis 11 64-bit / AMD A6-5400K Dual Core / ASROCK FM2A75-Pro4 / 8GB DDR3 1333 / ATI Radeon HD6550D
Mepis 11 64-bit / Intel Pentium IV / Intel 954G / 2GB DDR

User avatar
joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 6109
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:45 pm

Re: Anyone familiar with PeerGuardian?

#6 Postby joany » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:40 pm

Rott3nHippi3 wrote:I am behind a firewalled router, but I was more interested in the preconfigured blacklist for known P2P spies (incoming). Let's just say I would prefer my tracks to remain anonymous as it pertains to RIAA and MPAA spy games! LOL!!
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=22413

http://www.dailytech.com/Recording+Indu ... e22429.htm

If it's the RIAA and MPAA you are worried about, I wouldn't place my trust in any preconfigured blacklists. Don't you think these organizations are smart enough to change their IP addresses and domain names daily, if not hourly? If you don't want anyone to see your true IP identity, consider using a proxy server.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

User avatar
Rott3nHippi3
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:31 am

Re: Anyone familiar with PeerGuardian?

#7 Postby Rott3nHippi3 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:20 pm

joany wrote:If it's the RIAA and MPAA you are worried about, I wouldn't place my trust in any preconfigured blacklists. Don't you think these organizations are smart enough to change their IP addresses and domain names daily, if not hourly? If you don't want anyone to see your true IP identity, consider using a proxy server.

Ha! I guess I was wanting to trust something vs nothing at all. The whole IP lawsuit has pretty much ceased by the RIAA because of the dynamics of IP routing and the like. I guess after reading these more recent articles, I was wanting to give it a go just to check it out.. run through the cycles.

The comments from this article kinda touch on what you were saying.

http://www.dailytech.com/RIAA+Calls+an+ ... e13735.htm
Mepis 11 64-bit / AMD A6-5400K Dual Core / ASROCK FM2A75-Pro4 / 8GB DDR3 1333 / ATI Radeon HD6550D
Mepis 11 64-bit / Intel Pentium IV / Intel 954G / 2GB DDR

User avatar
joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 6109
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:45 pm

Re: Anyone familiar with PeerGuardian?

#8 Postby joany » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:25 pm

Rott3nHippi3 wrote:Ha! I guess I was wanting to trust something vs nothing at all. The whole IP lawsuit has pretty much ceased by the RIAA because of the dynamics of IP routing and the like. I guess after reading these more recent articles, I was wanting to give it a go just to check it out.. run through the cycles.

The comments from this article kinda touch on what you were saying.

http://www.dailytech.com/RIAA+Calls+an+ ... e13735.htm

If the ISPs are going to police their customers' activities under the constant threat of lawsuits from the RIAA/MPAA, then it won't much matter what you do. Unfortunately, under this scenario everyone will be treated as suspected criminals whether they are sharing pirated videos or MEPIS Live DVDs.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

User avatar
lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 12273
Age: 70
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:54 am

Re: Anyone familiar with PeerGuardian?

#9 Postby lucky9 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:34 am

This is a good use of a proxy server system. There are several. Just make sure you don't get one that's supported by the RIAA or MPAA! I'd suggest using encryption if available also.

This sort of thing is the reason I buy the disks.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

User avatar
joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 6109
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:45 pm

Re: Anyone familiar with PeerGuardian?

#10 Postby joany » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:23 am

lucky9 wrote:This is a good use of a proxy server system. There are several. Just make sure you don't get one that's supported by the RIAA or MPAA! I'd suggest using encryption if available also.

This sort of thing is the reason I buy the disks.

A trusted proxy server would work for now, as I suggested in an earlier post. But if the ISPs become the police, prosecutor, judge, and jury with the RIAA and MPAA breathing down their necks, you will be terminated if your Internet activity looks like you are sharing files -- any files.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.


Return to “64-bit Regulars”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests