View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
[SOLVED] KDE - required packages to enable gui 'sleep' 
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 301956
Post [SOLVED] KDE - required packages to enable gui 'sleep'
Apologies if I'm not adhering to forum protocol(s) regarding old/new/related threads, or other nuances of these boards.

Regarding:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31936

I've run Debian for 7 years, and installed the Mepis KDE packages over squeeze/stable a few months ago on two different boxes, both AMD 64 bit machines (fwiw also ran Stevo's Liquorix kernel backport, thanks to Stevo and the community for a very nice effort.) Anyway I'm wondering if there's some package I'm missing in order to use suspend to ram from the KDE gui 'sleep' button (in the main menu 'Leave' section.) Have pm-utils installed, acpid (needless, I assume) ... sleep ('pm-suspend') works fine as root from cli.

I found the above-mentioned thread from a forum search, installed upower, but still no functionality to KDE's gui sleep button. Any suggestions?

Thank you all for your time.

Last edited by Penguin Skinner on Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:30 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1742 times
Post # 301957
Post Re: KDE - required packages to enable gui 'sleep' functional
That's weird: it works OOTB with the current stable release on my (32 bit) system, and no one else has mentioned having a problem AFAIK.

32bit, 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae, MX-14, AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core, Dell SP2309W with integrated webcam, Nvidia GeForce 6150SE, 4 GB DDR2

Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:36 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 444 times
Post # 301958
Yes, that's weird.

Since it can be suspended from a root CLI, I would suspect some permissions, or a configuration file somewhere.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:59 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 1826 times
Post # 302021
I'm pretty sure the stock M11 KDE 4.5.3 needs "hal" in order to suspend correctly. The 4.6.5 and 4.7.4 in the community repo have a hard depends on upower (the fact that you installed it separately would indicate that you have 4.5.3)

However, that it works as root also just makes it seem a permission problem, something that Warren tweaked over a stock Debian installation.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:18 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 444 times
Post # 302022
Stevo wrote:
However, that it works as root also just makes it seem a permission problem, something that Warren tweaked over a stock Debian installation.

Yeah but......

Suspend-to-RAM in pure Squeeze always worked with no special tweaking. Just sayin'.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:43 pm
Administrator

Have thanks: 1363 times
Post # 302026
Same as Jerry, M11 32 bit suspend to ram worked out of the box on my system.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:40 pm
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Post # 302027
Stevo wrote:
I'm pretty sure the stock M11 KDE 4.5.3 needs "hal" in order to suspend correctly. The 4.6.5 and 4.7.4 in the community repo have a hard depends on upower (the fact that you installed it separately would indicate that you have 4.5.3)

Yes, what I have installed is KDE 4.5.3, however hal is installed as well; not a depend of anything, but for some reason needed to avoid getting a bunch of 'org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown' errors filling up the console.

After examining dependencies/recommends, I thought it could be due to my not having the various polkit packages and libraries installed, which would be the way I might expect the seeming permissions problem to be handled, but installing those packages had no effect.

Meantime, out of curiosity as much as anything, I compiled a simple C program as a wrapper/launcher to use pm-suspend as a normal user (as often is the case, setuid root on the /usr/lib/pm-utils/bin/pm-action script and pm-suspend symlink doesn't work.) So I can certainly incorporate sleep functionality into the desktop now with a simple launcher or link on the desktop. This has the added advantage that I can also do the same with the lightweight openbox desktop I often run instead of KDE.

With the pre-release freeze for Debian testing set for today (interesting coincidence) I'm not much inclined to upgrade from the Mepis community repos just to address this nominal little problem, which I trust it probably would. But I also trust the freeze means a new Mepis release in the months ahead :) so I'll just plan on doing a normal install when it becomes available. As you all probably know, diehard Debian luddites like myself are usually not easily swayed towards other distros, even close Debian derivatives, but I have to admit that the Mepis project has really impressed me -- not only Warren's efforts but all of you in the community.

Many thanks to all who replied, and hope it's OK if I hang around here a bit. I'm marking this thread "SOLVED" as it's almost certainly an issue caused by my non-standard installation of Mepis packages.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:50 pm
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 848 times
Post # 302031
Penguin Skinner wrote:
...diehard Debian luddites like myself are usually not easily swayed towards other distros, even close Debian derivatives, but I have to admit that the Mepis project has really impressed me -- not only Warren's efforts but all of you in the community.

Many thanks to all who replied, and hope it's OK if I hang around here a bit. I'm marking this thread "SOLVED" as it's almost certainly an issue caused by my non-standard installation of Mepis packages.

Please do stick around. You sound like one of "us". It also sounds like you've got some experience and expertise. We can always use that. Us wannabes need all the help we can get.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:48 pm Profile
MEPIS Enthusiast
MEPIS Enthusiast

Have thanks: 847 times
Post # 302039
Post Re: [SOLVED] KDE - required packages to enable gui 'sleep'
We like to keep the keepers. Welcome to the forum.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:43 am

lucky9 thanked by: Penguin Skinner
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Post # 302046
Post Re: [SOLVED] KDE - required packages to enable gui 'sleep'
Thanks for the welcome, everyone! I'm here to learn, always have a lot more questions than I have answers, but if I can contribute I'll certainly try.

My sense is Mepis has found sort of a 'sweet spot' between the rigidness and limitations of Debian (which is a good thing, and makes Debian the dependable foundation it is for so many other distros) and the increasingly proprietary and incompatible projects like Ubuntu. Debian sometimes can be just a little too much work; distros like Ubuntu, on the other hand, are difficult to work with, IMO, if you want to change something beyond their concept of what everybody needs.

Nice community here, too. Looks like everyone's here to help and discuss Linux, rather than write manifestos ;) or get into angry debates.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next