LiveCD drivers vs hard-install drivers

For help or questions about 64-bit version of MEPIS, this is the forum to use.
matelot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

LiveCD drivers vs hard-install drivers

#1 Postby matelot » Mon May 28, 2012 11:31 am

Hi, peeps,

Following on from my dual-graphics thread on a Lenovo G770 - I don't think I've asked here, but certainly I can't find any answers elsewhere...

Booting from a LiveCD many distros will give me my 1600x900 resolution, good colour etc. When it comes to a hard install, some are then quite lacking - lots of tweaking required, and now the added problem of dual graphics.

My question is: what drivers (and from where) are loaded in a Live CD environment that allows my laptop to function ideally in respect of graphics (other issues aside), but then fail at the point of a hard install?

Whatever drivers are being loaded, why can't they be used in a hard install, and negate dual graphics problems?

It's an aspect of Linux generally I can't fathom. Seems a reasonable question, but without evident answers.

Cheers
Asus K55A i7 laptop 6GB RAM, 500GB SATA HDD, turbo-boost 3.1Ghz::
Win7 64 bit - eek!::
Intel graphics, UEFI and GPT::
HP Deskjet 3050 wireless::

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: LiveCD drivers vs hard-install drivers

#2 Postby lucky9 » Mon May 28, 2012 3:41 pm

My understanding of this situation is that the problem is with the kernel used. See Linux support here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPU_switch ... ux_support
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “64-bit Regulars”