A Linux operating system based on Debian Stable
View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Mepis XFCE 4.61 remaster 
MEPIS Rules!
MEPIS Rules!

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 181462
This is exciting news! I think it would be a great addition to two that exist already.

This is great news for a great remaster. I was able to change the menu icon pretty easily (right click on menu icon, then properties, icon button), so it could be done for a release. I also switched to the blue colored folder icons (tango) instead of green to match the color scheme. Anyway, nice work and congratulations!

Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:15 am
Profile WWW
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 29 times
Post # 181748
Post I am excited about this too!
marcos wrote:
First of all, thank you for your encouragement, feed-back and for seeding the torrent. I have talked to Warren about the possibility of launching the remaster as a Community Mepis derivative and he has given his Ok (we are still discussing some small details).

The missing points/features are:

* No way to change the timezone
* Maybe adding gnotes (Tomboy in C++) http://mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21754
* Change menu icon for mepis one
* Update notifications
* Add traybiff notification plugin for thunderbird

Do you miss something else? Is some other feature missing? Comments are welcome and appreciated.

One of the things that I have frequently done with my MEPIS releases - going all the way back to when I was using SimplyMEPIS 6.0, is to add XFCE as a desktop option. On my older Dell Dimension 4100, I was getting to the point where I was using XFCE more often than KDE. Only problem with mine is that I did not have all the nice MEPIS integration; it really was more like slap the Debian package in place and go; yours is MUCH nicer, thanks so much! Thanks for the good news, too! Maybe we'll see your implementation alongside antiX - do you have a name for it yet?

John (ou812) over in the antiX forums had been thinking of doing an antiX respin and possibly making it from XFCE, but when he saw your great work he shifted gears and may be doing one based on Openbox, but he is still ironing out the details.

I have not gotten into yours yet; it is on my list of tasks for the upcoming week - so this question may get answered when I dig in - but do you have any remaster/respin tools incorporated into your work? If not, that would be one further suggestion - that would nicely complement what Anticapitalista (Paul) has been doing with antiX.

Thanks a bunch!

Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:45 am
Profile YIM WWW
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Post # 181784
1. I installed antix base 8 and set repos to stable.
2. Installed xfce 4.6 and some extra xfce stuff (volume, clipboard, screenshot, etc.) from testing.
3. Installed asunder from testing.
4. Installed quite a few apps (from stable) including gnomebaker, aqualung, abiword, geany, and gthumb.
5. Built a nice (I think) control center using gtkdialog.
6. Found a nice wall and theme.
7. Installed murrine enginge (and maybe clearlooks, but I can't remember).
8. Installed gnome and tango icon sets (I like the simplicity).
9. Using slim login manager.

I'm not sure how committed I am to the project. I started it specifically for my toshiba laptop, which is 64 bit. But I really liked the way mandriva 2009.1 dual (lxde) ran on it and set it up as a 64 bit system. So, ultimately, I may reinstall mandriva on it. But if you need help or want to share ideas, I'll be willing to do that. I'll at least get it polished and create an iso, I think, but I don't see myself in it for the long run at this point.

I am committed to my antix lxde respin with an openbox + fbpanel option for older machines. Similar to my xfce respin, but with openbox/lxde as the environment.

Just pm me if I can help.

john

Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:15 am
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Post # 182219
Post Finally got my copy today
Thanks, Marcos! Between the stuff that Danum has been doing and the stuff that you've been doing - which has now gotten other people thinking about making their own respins, this is all getting really exciting!

I had previously tried two of Danum's works - one when he first came out with the KDE 4.2 respin against the final SimplyMEPIS 8.0 Release Candidate - now that was some impressive work, then later the Cano 2 effort, which was also excellent, but now I am thinking that I am going to be equally excited about your work - and my excitement should be tested very soon... at least I am burning the image, just waiting for it to complete.

I hope to try out a few of the other variations. Just think, if it hadn't been for the great Debian repositories in the first place, then the great live CD technology that Klaus Knopper improved, but then Warren simplified, then if it hadn't been for the great work that Paul (anticapitalista) had done, inspiring people like Adrian, to write some cool scripts... then if it hadn't been for Brooko, Stevo, Jerry, you... and a cast of others, we would not be here today writing about this.

So I thank you for your work, but I also recognize the contributions of so many others as well. I do hope to try some of the other community member works as well. Who knows, some day maybe I'll do my own and share it with all of you! Thanks so much Marcos!

Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Post # 182221
Post Yup, I'm in here now with the Marcos craft, and it IS good!
I'm in here live with the Marcos XFCE edition, now to install it and give it a good workout. Looks real good, just as I expected it would. Nice job!

Brian

Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Post # 182228
Post Well, I'm here and this respin lives up to its fine reputation!
Thanks so much, Marcos, and everyone else who has contributed ideas, technology, testing, and the bits and pieces that helped make this happen.

I just installed MEPIS XFCE 4.6.1 respin over the top of a partition that previously had other Debian based software on it, and I retained /home. That meant that I could keep my previous settings and some apps that I downloaded, including the Nightly Build of Seamonkey 2.0B1pre. All I had to do was download today's build and I was ready to go - posting from the Marcos implementation using my own nightly grab of Seamonkey - very fast and effective, by the way, and it has been stable for me.

Great stuff, great job!

Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Post # 186296
Hello. I took a cue from DreamLinux and wrote a small app for generating .desktop files, which are used to generate menu entries in xfce (and lxpanel, fbpanel, etc.). I just finished writing it, so I would appreciate some testers and some feedback. If you're interested, you can find the post here

http://antix.freeforums.org/desktop-files-t1833.html

with a screenshot. In addition to following the instructions given in the link, you will need to install gtkdialog and zenity from the repos.

Thanks.

john

P.S. I hope you don't mind this post, I just thought this may be useful in your respin.

Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:55 am
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Post # 186373
Post Mepis XFCE 4.61 remaster
OU812 wrote:
Hello. I took a cue from DreamLinux and wrote a small app for generating .desktop files, which are used to generate menu entries in xfce (and lxpanel, fbpanel, etc.). I just finished writing it, so I would appreciate some testers and some feedback. If you're interested, you can find the post here

http://antix.freeforums.org/desktop-files-t1833.html

with a screenshot. In addition to following the instructions given in the link, you will need to install gtkdialog and zenity from the repos.

Thanks.

john

P.S. I hope you don't mind this post, I just thought this may be useful in your respin.

OU812,

This is a sweet little utility!

Since I am totally clueless on how you work such magic, I have a suggestion that I hope would not be exceptionally hard to implement. Beside the blank input line for 'Icon', you have a 'button' that opens a window to Thunar, so that the user can select an appropriate icon. I think it would be useful to have something similar above it, for the topic 'Command to execute'.

Just a thought. It works wonderfully, just like it is.

Thanks for the clever implementation to ease one of XFCE's frustrating weaknesses until it is handled in, I believe, version 4.8.

Hawkeye

Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:03 pm
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Post # 186403
Thanks, Hawkeye. I was actually thinking of putting a button in for the "command to execute" option, but at the last minute decided on a simple text entry. I was thinking of including both options, but wasn't sure how to pull it off. But I may be able to. I will tweak it a bit.

Since most antix users don't have xfce installed, including me, would someone please take a moment to list the different menu categories that xfce uses (it turns out that they are different from fbpanel)? Thanks.

john

Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:30 am
MEPIS Novice
MEPIS  Novice

Post # 186577
Post Mepis XFCE 4.61 remaster
OU812 wrote:
Thanks, Hawkeye. I was actually thinking of putting a button in for the "command to execute" option, but at the last minute decided on a simple text entry. I was thinking of including both options, but wasn't sure how to pull it off. But I may be able to. I will tweak it a bit.

Since most antix users don't have xfce installed, including me, would someone please take a moment to list the different menu categories that xfce uses (it turns out that they are different from fbpanel)? Thanks.

john

The main menu category options are:

Run Programs...

Terminal
File Manager
Web Browser

Settings ------------------->

Accessories -------------->
Graphics ------------------>
Multimedia --------------->
Network ------------------>
Office --------------------->