Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Firefox 8 download 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 20 times
Post # 279014
Post Re: Firefox 8 download
Jerry3904 wrote:
I just had an email from Warren that I posted in another thread saying that he is about to upload FF 5.0

Cool! Thanks!

Linux Registered User #505584
MEPIS11: AOpen Mini Duo MP965-D & Dell Inspiron 1420
antiX12: Fujitsu Lifebook P-Series & Dell Dimension 4550

Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:17 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 882 times
Post # 279024
Jerry3904 wrote:
I just had an email from Warren that I posted in another thread saying that he is about to upload FF 5.0

Yes, that was good to see. I was wondering if Warren was going to try and keep Fx updated in the official repo. Looks like he is, at least for now, along with LibreOffice.

I know that Iceweasel is the same thing, but I've had to fight with Flash in the past and have had problems in the past with my profile and links (filename differences between Fx and IW) and would rather not have to mess with it again if at all possible. And flash difficulties in the past is also the reason I'd rather not try and run Fx from the Moz tarball. I'm sure these difficulties would be easy to overcome -- if they were to crop up at all -- but I'm old and lazy and easily frustrated.

Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:18 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 446 times
Post # 279037
I'm accustomed to disappointment with claims of software improvements, but this isn't one of those times. I have FF8 nightly running here now, and it's pretty impressive. It definitely starts and runs faster, and CPU usage is noticeably lower. Memory usage appears to be about the same.

Firefox users actually have something tangible to look forward to.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:16 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 733 times
Post # 279047
DBeckett wrote:
I'm accustomed to disappointment with claims of software improvements, but this isn't one of those times. I have FF8 nightly running here now, and it's pretty impressive. It definitely starts and runs faster, and CPU usage is noticeably lower. Memory usage appears to be about the same.

Firefox users actually have something tangible to look forward to.

Exactly what I found, and why it was posted,
An explanation of why Mozilla have gone to a six week release cycle, which to me makes a lot of sense,
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/84 ... e-channels,

Kubuntu KDE 4.11.00 / KDE 4.11.60 / Debian Wheezy KDE 4.10.4 / Plasma Active 3 Tablet

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:38 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 677 times
Post # 279048
Using the Nightly Tester Tools to force extensions doesn't help. You have to do without most of your usual stuff to run ff8.
When switching back to stable, some of the preferences have changed, the default start page is set to about:blank.
I haven't seen anything unstable about this nightly build. And I like the icon.
Henry

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:44 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 279050
Spoke to soon about the Nightly Tester Tools. You have to enable extensions and restart ff8 a couple of times to get your extensions working in the Nightly.
At least Greasemonkey and NoSquint works well even if the message initially was that they were incompatible.
No reason not to use your favorite extensions. I'm pleasantly surprised that this was possible.
Henry

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:59 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 733 times
Post # 279051
The icon, I run Search and launch as my default desktop, and it comes out nearly black, so I use gimp to lighten it looks a lot better.
With regards to the stability no problems what so ever,
Switching back to stable will default to the Mepis settings which is about:blank.
Edit, I just switched drives, as I do not run Mepis, what I am using now is a Mepis Beta that was upgraded to 6.4 a long time ago,
Firefox 4 was replaced with Iceweasel 5, and now if I change from using Iceweasel to nightly or visa versa the only thing that happens is a compatibility check is done, both are identical in every way with regards to home page and book marks etc.
And in case you wonder what Dolphin2 is. eye candy,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kubuntu KDE 4.11.00 / KDE 4.11.60 / Debian Wheezy KDE 4.10.4 / Plasma Active 3 Tablet

Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:02 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 279059
Another way to enable extensions in ff8 is to install Add-on Compatibility Reporter:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -reporter/
Henry

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2