View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
antiX-M8.5-prefinal available 
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 802 times
Post # 221332
Post antiX-M8.5-prefinal available
This should be the last one before final.

* Apps upgraded from rc3 to present
* Auto-login feature in antiXcc
* gmplayer bug fixed (I hope, please test)
* Samba/pyneighborhood added to install-meta
* fluxbox workspace bug fixed
* login audio added (comments welcome)
* MEPIS utilities updated

http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Test-releases/antiX-M8.5/

Post comments here or at antiX forums.

Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX "Luddite" - lean and mean.
http://antix.mepis.org

Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:26 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 3 times
Post # 222549
I am still running the rc1 base with Gnome tapped on, jeez that runs fast. Thanks for all the hard work. I noticed no pre-final base, will their still be a final base?

Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:08 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 222553

I'm waiting for MEPIS 8.5 to go final and then antiX-M8.5 will be released not long after.

Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:52 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 13 times
Post # 222562

Nats007 ~ Linux User #458930
Desktop ~ sda1: SimplyMEPIS 11 64 BIT rel | AMD Athlon X2 4200+ 2.2GHz | 3GB DDR2-667 | WD 500 GB SATA | Biostar MCP6PB
Netbook ~ sda1: Windows XP SP3/sda2: antiX M8.5 KDE 4.6.3 | Asus Eee PC 1005HA | 2 GB DDR2 6400 | AGPtek 7200 mAh

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:48 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 13 times
Post # 222712
This should be the last one before final.

* Apps upgraded from rc3 to present
* Auto-login feature in antiXcc
* gmplayer bug fixed (I hope, please test)
* Samba/pyneighborhood added to install-meta
* fluxbox workspace bug fixed
* login audio added (comments welcome)
* MEPIS utilities updated

http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Test-releases/antiX-M8.5/

Post comments here or at antiX forums.

Updated via aptitude and everything looks good. I tested gmplayer and it played MP3s, AVIs, and MP4s fine! I did not here the login audio though upon a restart, so I'm not sure how to enable it.

Nats007 ~ Linux User #458930
Desktop ~ sda1: SimplyMEPIS 11 64 BIT rel | AMD Athlon X2 4200+ 2.2GHz | 3GB DDR2-667 | WD 500 GB SATA | Biostar MCP6PB
Netbook ~ sda1: Windows XP SP3/sda2: antiX M8.5 KDE 4.6.3 | Asus Eee PC 1005HA | 2 GB DDR2 6400 | AGPtek 7200 mAh

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:43 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 222755
To enable the login audio, antiX control centre -> Edit fluxbox settings -> Startup

uncomment:

play /usr/share/sounds/Pardus_Rocks/Pardus_Rocks-Logout.ogg > /dev/null 2>&1 &

Same for icewm in antiX control centre -> Icewm Settings -> Startup

Reg. linux user #395339.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:33 am
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 0 time
Post # 224854
Post Antix 8.5 Pre Final USB Persistent Install Feedback
First off, thanks to rokytnji for letting me know of 8.5, it's a big improvement over 8.2.

Installed this from today's pre final build with persistentusbgui on a 2G USB with a stock Asus 1101H running Windows XP based on info from nats007 and rokytnji at eeuser forum and yatsite.

Following some comments:
- 8.5 file manager usually can read the Windows FAT32 file system off hard drive (8.2 never could for me, but could read USB stick for some reason); still sometimes get "org.Freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure", and sometimes it won't go away; can still read USB FAT32 no problem.
- Persistent USB Installer GUI is a great addition; in future would be great to incorporate this into the main Antix Installer rather than putting it in the Controller panel; if it needs to be in the Controller panel, System tab might be more appropriate than Disk tab, since it's really about installing a new system: happens to be on a disk (well, actually, USB stick).
- Persistent USB Installer GUI won't install from an ISO on Windows XP FAT32 hard-drive, though it can browse to it: need to copy ISO to local directory first like /home/demo and install from there. Might also work from FAT32 USB, haven't tried it...
- Persistent USB Installer GUI sometimes gives an "already mounted error" on the USB stick you're installing to, so need to unmount first
- In future would be great to include gparted in same way it's included in the main installer if the installers aren't merged.
- Persistent USB Installer GUI doesn't give any indication the installation is running unless you click on the "Show Details" button. Would be great to have a progress bar or at least have the "Apply" button greyed out, or some other indication that it's running.
- As others noted, wifi now works more-or-less out of the box; just go in and select the devices in Ceni (in 8.2 they didn't even show up)
- 1366x768 screen resolution is still not an available configuration in Control Panel. Running sgfxi sat for 30 minutes "Updating config", so killed it, re-installed Antix. Will have to find another way (perhaps direct editing of config files?) to get this to work.
- Mousepad works for movement; for left-click have to use the mousepad button: tapping on pad doesn't work.
- Would be nice for Antix Logout to highlight the default button of OK/Cancel... right now have no idea what will happen if you just hit enter.
- Bootup gives an error on "install snd_hda__codec_realtek"; also, a stack of "regular user files" starting with icewmcc.sh throw errors on bootup

Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:06 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 3 times
Post # 224987
I also get a org.Freedesktop.Hal when trying to unmount devices, only way to do it is via root on the terminal. Any ETA on the final, really looking forward to installing it.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:43 pm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 1 time
Post # 225122
Post mounting fat32 partitions with pcmanfm
Regarding mounting (and unmounting) the partitions. At least with NTFS, they can be mounted either by opening PCManFM as root (/etc/sudoers may be set up for that so it can be done from PCMan's Tools>Open as root menu) or through mountbox at Control Center>Discs>Mount Devices.
At http://antix.freeforums.org/post14894.html?hilit=ntfs#p14894 it is said that
Code:
/dev/sda1 /home/user/Windows ntfs-3g noatime,defaults 0 0

auto-mounts a NTFS partition fine so maybe it can be used for a FAT32 one as well.

Regarding exitantix.sh (antiX's exit app), the button is highlighted but in a very slight way. You may see that by pressing tab some times. The default is the first button, 'Lock Screen', then it goes downwards and then to the other column so you would have to hit tab five times to get to 'Shutdown'.

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:40 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 1 time
Post # 225148
Continuing on the exit options, you have them all except suspend and hibernate from menu (esc key) > Exit...
Also you can set the exit buttons on the task bar to pop-up the options instead of opening them in a window: just replace 'prog "Exit" ...' in ~/.icewm/toolbar for, for instance
Code:
menu "Exit" /usr/share/icons/gTangish-2.0a1/32x32/actions/system-log-out.png {
prog "Lock Screen" /usr/share/icons/gTangish-2.0a1/32x32/actions/gnome-lockscreen.png xlock
prog "Hibernate" /usr/share/icons/gTangish-2.0a1/32x32/apps/gnome-session-hibernate.png antixhibernate.sh
prog "Restart" /usr/share/icons/gTangish-2.0a1/32x32/apps/gnome-session-reboot.png sudo reboot
prog "Logout" /usr/share/icons/gTangish-2.0a1/32x32/apps/gnome-session-logout.png logouthelper.sh
prog "Suspend" /usr/share/icons/gTangish-2.0a1/32x32/apps/gnome-session-suspend.png antixsuspend.sh
prog "Shutdown" /usr/share/icons/gTangish-2.0a1/32x32/apps/gnome-session-halt.png sudo halt
}

as shown here

Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next