Booting with keyb=non-us, without setting lang

MHHP

Booting with keyb=non-us, without setting lang

#1 Postby MHHP » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:13 am

Hello:smiley:!

I'm trying to get antiX-M8.5-486, run live, to start with the keyboard layout set to se|sv|se-latin1. I've tried all possible bootparams, like kmap|keyb|keymap|kbd|keyboard etc, that are used in some other distros, no cigar.

The only way I've found is to set lang=sv_SE, that sets the correct keyboard layout but, unfortunately, that also makes my computer start speaking Swedish to me, which I don't appreciate:confused:.

Grateful for any help on this:smiley:.

Cheers :smiley:/
MHHP

anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#2 Postby anticapitalista » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:07 am

Welcome to antiX.

Boot as normal, then at desktop open a terminal and type:

setxkbmap se

This will last until the session finishes.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-15 "Killah P!" - lean and mean.
http://antix.mepis.org

MHHP

#3 Postby MHHP » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:43 pm

Ok, thanks!

Guess I can put that in (rc.local or) .xinitrc to have the kbd-layout set on every GUI start.

Cheers:smiley:/
MHHP

voorhees1979
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Postby voorhees1979 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:51 am

or you could just add this to a file:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
setxkbmap se

Make it executable and make it boot with your other startup apps. Its what I did anyway

donquixote
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Booting with keyb=non-us, without setting lang

#5 Postby donquixote » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:57 pm

As this is now very old I expect that you have found a solution. I was having the same trouble setting up a Swedish keyboard but I think that I have finally cracked it. You can set the keyboard layout so simply in system settings>hardware>input devices when you know it's there. I could find no sysconfig file at all in MEPIS 11 and got no joy following the manual which I have otherwise found excellent. I shall now try to work out how to update the manual!

Utopia
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Postby Utopia » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:30 pm

If you're using M11 it's different from antix (not using kde), which this topic is about.
It's very easy to use a Swedish keyboard if it's supported by kde. Uncommon keyboards can be pretty difficult to configure.
Henry

donquixote
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#7 Postby donquixote » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:04 pm

Thanks Henry. It is all quite easy when you know where to look. Unfortunately sections 5.9 and 10.3 of the manual that ships with M11 are simply wrong when it comes to the keyboard. Had it not been for those misdirections I probably would have looked at "hardware" sooner!

Never having heard of "antix" I have no idea of its relevance. It is obviously part of the linux labyrinth that is so discouraging to us refugees!

Utopia
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Postby Utopia » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:21 pm

Swedish works pretty well in Mepis. Especially if it's enough for you to only configure kde. The drawback is that you have to avoid the last three letters in the Swedish alphabet in file names, when saving images in Gimp and some other apps.
It's possible to get the Swedish language throughout the whole system with dpkg-reconfigure locales if needed.
Antix is a Mepis spin-off for older computers, using a different desktop environment and configuration tools.
Henry

donquixote
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#9 Postby donquixote » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:09 am

Thanks for the file name tip, Henry. The Swedish letters work fine in Windows!

Return to “antiX”