xpra - remote X

mckemie
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

xpra - remote X

#1 Postby mckemie » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:48 pm

I'm trying xpra, intending a new antiX as the client and a new Ubuntu as the server. I believe the "testing" version on antiiX is not compatible with the "stable" version of Ubuntu. My question how best to install either the "stable" version on antiX or the "testing" version on Ubuntu? That is, how to avoid screwing up my /etc/apt/sources.list on either box?

A related question: A few releases back, Ubuntu started making it difficult to get XDMCP working. Before that, XDMCP was very straightforward under Ubuntu. Does Mepis currently support easy XDMCP?

timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: xpra - remote X

#2 Postby timkb4cq » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:13 pm

It's not too difficult. However It is turned off by default in /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc
At the end of that file you'll find:

Code: Select all

[Xdmcp]
Enable=False
Willing=/etc/kde4/kdm/Xwilling
As root, edit the False to True and restart the X server.
Because dbus is used to start KDE4 applications, when running them over ssh -X or ssh -Y this
tim@musicbox:~$ dolphin
won't work. you need to use
tim@musicbox:~$ dbus-launch dolphin
instead.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Postby lucky9 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:14 am

mckemie wrote:I'm trying xpra, intending a new antiX as the client and a new Ubuntu as the server. I believe the "testing" version on antiiX is not compatible with the "stable" version of Ubuntu. My question how best to install either the "stable" version on antiX or the "testing" version on Ubuntu? That is, how to avoid screwing up my /etc/apt/sources.list on either box?

I believe antiX has the option to either use Stable or Testing. Just make the choice. Enable the correct repositories. And you're good to go.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

mckemie
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#4 Postby mckemie » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:12 am

I was hoping to find an easy way to load a package or two from non-repository sources. But, I ended up editing my /etc/apt/sources.list on antiX as suggested. That went well except that xpra is not in stable. I guess I will just wait for more development of xpra.

With a good report on XDMCP, I was preparing to set up a Mepis X server box. Then, I found all current Mepis ISOs are larger than CD. Didn't find any mention of Mepis netinstalls and I don't want to install DVD drives. Right now, I'm looking at a straight Debian netinstall.

Thanks for the responses!

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Postby lucky9 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:15 pm

Mepis can be installed from a USB FlashDrive. See: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... thout_a_CD
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “antiX”