View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Find and set video driver 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 2 times
Post # 291060
Post Find and set video driver
Copied from initial wrong forum, sorry for that.

Just did my first antiX install with xfce desktop. The video chip on this laptop is a "ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600 graphics controller with 32 or 64 MB of Video RAM". This is from the spec sheet. By the descriptions in Synaptic the driver should be: xserver-xorg-video-radeon (which is installed, along with several other xservers). During boot there is a reference to: radeon/R300_cp.bin. My personal desktop comp has a nice GUI setup for my Nvidia card. Haven't found a similar thing for xfce. Is there a pkg I need to install? Or edit xorg.conf? But what entries?

Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:40 pm
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 857 times
Post # 291109
Post Re: Find and set video driver
If you're using the radeon driver (the open source driver), then the only other more capable driver is the ATI proprietary one. It's usually installed with sgfxi. See here: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php?title=Sgfxi

You may already have it in the version of antiX that you are using. The HowTo in the wiki is pretty good.

Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:10 am
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 2 times
Post # 291965
Post Re: Find and set video driver  [Solved]
I finally got it installed. Sgxfi was a large part of the process, but other pkg installs and upgrades figured in. I now have the latest propriatary ATI driver, which sgxfi says is not supposed to be suported. I can't even trace and report what I did. A couple of times I just did something I was warned not to do, and it worked. So, thanks for the tips.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]