Will the pupil surpass the master?

Malanrich
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Will the pupil surpass the master?

#11 Postby Malanrich » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:13 pm

anticapitalista wrote:....I should mention, antiX has been moving away from MEPIS for a while now and the latest version (undergoing testing) is 99.8% Debian Testing, 0.199999% antiX and the rest is MEPIS. ie next to nothing.

This brings us full circle, back to the origin of antiX as an updating of MepisLite. Maybe it's time for a new "Lite" that is more Mepis-centric.

Topher
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#12 Postby Topher » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:19 am

Yes - I would like a Mepis-Lite version that I could put on some older computers that don't have a DVD drive. I have run M11 on 512GB computers. It runs OK, just kinda slowish but not bad. Adding some RAM is certainly cheaper than buying W7.
MX15 MoBo ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 CPU AMD Phenom II X4 945 PSU CORSAIR CX500 (CMPSU-500CX) RAM Crucial CT2KIT25664BA1339 HD WD5000AAKX Wireless EDIMAX EW 7128g

rokytnji

#13 Postby rokytnji » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:22 am

Adrian wrote:And to be fair, beside the quality of the distro, one important factor is how accessible is the maintainer...

:number1: It is the main reason I have stuck with this distro for so long. Mepis got me started in Linux. Antix and the developer and members polished my Linux skillset. It is my favorite. :happy:

Malanrich
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#14 Postby Malanrich » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:20 pm

A MepisLite would widen our user-base by providing an OS for the XP users that Uncle Mark refers to above. Those are the folks who (likely) want to install from a CD, want some basic version of KDE (but not the whole shebang), etc., but are afraid of antiX's learning curve (exaggerated but true for some people). People who want LibreOffice could go with MepisLite, but those wanting slimmer apps like Abiword could go with antiX. I can't speak for anticapitalista, but this approach might free him to develop antiX in interesting ways without having to produce a double-duty version of antiX and a slimmer Mepis. Just thinking out loud...

anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#15 Postby anticapitalista » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:44 pm

Next antiX-full will come with libreoffice installed.

It will probably be impossible to have a MEPIS-Lite with kde and libreoffice fitting on a cd. A better option would be lxde or xfce.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-15 "Killah P!" - lean and mean.
http://antix.mepis.org

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#16 Postby uncle mark » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:04 pm

anticapitalista wrote:Next antiX-full will come with libreoffice installed.

It will probably be impossible to have a MEPIS-Lite with kde and libreoffice fitting on a cd. A better option would be lxde or xfce.

There's a saying in my line of work

Code: Select all

Good, fast, cheap. Pick two.

In this situation, you could say

Code: Select all

Small, modern, full-featured. Pick two.

Warren has always said he wanted the base installation to be fully functional OOTB, and he feels the productivity suite has to be part of that.

Then there's the definition of Lite. Is that small, to fit on a CD? Or is it light on resources? Reducing the amount of included software can get you the first, but a modern KDE isn't going to give you the latter.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#17 Postby lucky9 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:29 pm

Is there a KDE 4 distribution that fits on a CD? It wouldn't have much else I'd think.
Bottom line is that if you absolutely have to use a CD then you should use a USB FlashDrive.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#18 Postby uncle mark » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:46 pm

lucky9 wrote:Is there a KDE 4 distribution that fits on a CD? It wouldn't have much else I'd think.

I'm pretty sure PCLOS fits on a CD. Here, lemme check... yep, looks like it

pclinuxos-kde-2012.02.iso
689.1 MiB

However, it does not include an office suite. Texstar has an install script on the desktop that dwnloads and installs it.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MX-15 KDE, MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#19 Postby kmathern » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:02 pm

uncle mark wrote:
lucky9 wrote:Is there a KDE 4 distribution that fits on a CD? It wouldn't have much else I'd think.

I'm pretty sure PCLOS fits on a CD. Here, lemme check... yep, looks like it

pclinuxos-kde-2012.02.iso
689.1 MiB

However, it does not include an office suite. Texstar has an install script on the desktop that dwnloads and installs it.

Aptosid also has a KDE 'lite' (http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/aptosid/release/). It's approx. 590MB, so it would fit on a CD.

It also has no office suite, and it seems to leave out quite a few KDE4 packages (compared to MEPIS). The i386 list of installed packages is here: http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/aptosid/ ... 6.manifest. I'm not sure how usable of a KDE4 desktop you get with everything that's left out.

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#20 Postby Adrian » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Kubuntu fits a CD too. It does install some stuff from internet, but I think you can install without internet access so that means that it fits on CD.

Return to “antiX”