Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: antiX-base-t3 available for testing

#11 Postby anticapitalista » Wed May 30, 2012 6:10 pm

Already available as from 28 May.

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07270
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-15 "Killah P!" - lean and mean.
http://antix.mepis.org

julian516
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#12 Postby julian516 » Thu May 31, 2012 10:29 am

Well, if Jerry3904 and I are talking about the same thing, a bit of menu.lst editing is always necessary when antiX goes on an external drive of some sort. In my case I am using my laptop as the "main" drive and installing to jump-drives (16 Gig sticks make very nice antiX hosts) or an external HD.

The actual installation always goes smoothly save for one fact. At the time of installation the main drive on my laptop is HD0 (sda) and the target drive/device is HD1 (sdb). So we just install to the root, home and swap partitions on that HD1 (sdb) device.

Problem: As Jerry correctly describes when I go to my boot menu and select the external device for booting, GRUB returns Error 15 (as I recall) because it cannot find the root partition. Reason: HD1 now is HD0 so far as my system is concerned because I am booting my external device directly. At this point my system simply does not know about the main drive on my laptop.

Solution: Just go to menu.lst and do a simple edit such that my external device is properly identified as HD0.

Everything then is copacetic --- so to speak, of course.

I have base-t3 downloaded so I'll install soon, later today I hope.

I presently have antiX M11-core with Xfce running as one of the three systems on my main laptop drive. (The other two are Debian Stable and Testing) It is quick, efficient and altogether pleasant.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Postby lucky9 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:06 am

An alternative would be to boot the external drive from the internal one. You might need a delay for GRUB to find the external is all.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

iridesce
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#14 Postby iridesce » Thu May 31, 2012 7:03 pm

anticapitalista wrote:live with persistence on a stick.

Now I will have to play with it.

Thanks for all your work
...Ostara.................................... minni
Image Image
...Mepis 11_64...........................Mepis 11_32

julian516
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#15 Postby julian516 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:58 am

lucky9 wrote:An alternative would be to boot the external drive from the internal one. You might need a delay for GRUB to find the external is all.

That will work and it would solve my problem, so that is an alternative for many people. I do not do it that way because I started out with the idea of putting antiX on a stick and carrying it in my pocket as I visited my far-flung family. Much easier than a laptop through the airports!

Doing so means I stay with non-proprietary software/drivers because my installatioin must run an a variety of hardware. antiX does that beautifully. I surely would hate to lose that virtue.

@ anti: M11-Core is a terrific idea. Thank you for that. base-t3 is downloaded and installed. Playing with it over the weekend.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#16 Postby lucky9 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:33 pm

The non-proprietary drivers are quite good now a days so that shouldn't be much of a burden.

Thanks anticapitalista!
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “antiX”