Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Need MEPIS and Garmin info 
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Location: Midway between the Washington State rainforest, ocean and volcanoes
Have thanks: 69 times
Post # 281255
Post Re: Need MEPIS and Garmin info
For whatever reason, the post I created earlier today didn't take :frown: - user error probably.
Thanks for the info on the delay in the repository update - no doubt that very fact is listed in the Wiki :alien:

OK, installed garminplugin_0.3.3-1 via the CR. Install seemed to go OK. I rebooted firefox to be sure it took.
I have Firefox 4.0.1 installed on the Ostara box ( inxi below ) and when I checked for the plugin ( Tools>Add-ons>Plugins ), ' Garmin Communicator - Fake Plugin, Version 0.3.3 ' is shown in the list.

Checked the listed homepage ( http://www.andreas-diesner.de/garminplugin/doku.php ) and from what I read there are lots of graphs and maps and data that can be accessed using the program. The available information to be gleaned seems to be focused to runners/hikers/geocache folks. There does seem to be a site registration process before one can access the Garmin unit.

Honestly, I use the 660NA I have only for vehicle GPS and audio playback so I'm not sure how useful this plugin is for me.

I did run across the configuration page ( http://www.andreas-diesner.de/garminplu ... figuration ) which gave this tidbit:
Quote:
The plugin creates a configuration file on it's first run at one of these two places:

~/.config/garminplugin/garminplugin.xml
~/.garminplugin.xml

I checked both of those locations in my home folder and they were absent. Maybe I would have had to register before they would have been installed...

So, that's it for the moment - if there is any other information I can supply, please let me know.

And as always - Major thanks to Tim and any others for their magic in transforming Debian applications into true Mepis ones for the Community Repository.
............................. :worship: :worship: "We are not worthy! We are not worthy!"

Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:01 pm

iridesce thanked by: Jerry3904
Administrator

Have thanks: 1370 times
Post # 281414
Jerry3904 wrote:
if you have a Garmin unit, can you install the plugin in a VM of M11?

M11 does not run well in a VM on my machine slow and jerky. I have set sufficient memory 1.5 GIG and video memory, tried both 64 meg and 128 meg. When I set the color depth to 24 I lost the screen entirely. Guest Additions are installed. Any response should be in another thread. I am responding here to indicate I could not test the Garmin plugin.

PS. I have never been happy with VirtualBox on any rig I have tried it on.

Rich

Acer Laptop V5-572G: Intel i5, 12 GIG mem, nVidia GT720M/Intel integrated graphics
Mx-14 Symbiosis
Kubuntu 13.10, KDE 4.11.2

Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:03 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 444 times
Post # 281418
richb wrote:
PS. I have never been happy with VirtualBox on any rig I have tried it on.

Ditto. I'm happy to have it for the few apps that I need, but performance has always been barely adequate.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:34 pm
MEPIS Guide
MEPIS Guide

Have thanks: 95 times
Post # 281975
I have been able to get the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx to work with TangoGPS(FoxtrotGPS).

I have it working on a system that is SM 11 upgraded to KDE 4.6.5.

I tried to install the garminplugin_0.3.3-1, but it failed, broken dependencies and I've not looked at it further. Could be the difference in the systems.

Edit: I installed the garminplugin on a stock SM 11 system and plugged the GPSmap 60CSx into the computer. The Garmin website "myDashboard", seems to work with the plugin, but the website could not find the device.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HP P1005/CP1215 Printers
Linux User# 4523410
BB Z10 is here, now we need Linux syncing

Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2