View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Cube directions 
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 1915 times
Post # 290063
Post Cube directions
Following a post by m_pav, I drafted for the revised Manual this description of how to set up a cube (one of 3 entries under "Multiple Desktops"):
Quote:
Cube
If your graphics card is capable and you have the correct driver for it, it may be possible to set up a cube with a desktop on each face. Here is the procedure:
--Click SystemSettings > Workspace Appearance and Behavior > Desktop Effects
--On the General tab, check Enable Desktop Effects and click Apply at the bottom, ignoring any error message you see
--Switch to the Advanced tab and under Compositing type, use the pulldown menu to change the default rendering engine from --XRender to OpenGL, then click Apply again
--Now switch to the All Effects tab, scroll down about 75% and check Desktop Cube and Desktop Cube Animation, then click Apply
If you see any errors, check that your graphics card is capable and the driver is correct (see Section 5.5).

1) That does not work on my system (dunno why), so I can't test it. Could someone test those directions and tell me if anything is missing or incorrect?
2) Could someone send me a good-looking but not too wild screencapture?

TIA

Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:59 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 290 times
Post # 290064
Post Re: Cube directions
That's cool. I don't normally leave Desktop Effects enabled. But, I just tried it using those instructions and I can click on the desktop and use the scroll wheel to change between desktops on a cube. I'm not familiar with any of the shortcuts for that type of thing, so there are probably other things you can do with it.

IOW, it works for me. I'm using Nvidia driver version 285.05.09 installed via sgfxi with a PNY GT 440 card with 1GB of GDDR5 right now.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:17 am

JimC thanked by: Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 290065
got a screencapture?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:19 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 733 times
Post # 290067
Jerry3904 wrote:
Following a post by m_pav, I drafted for the revised Manual this description of how to set up a cube (one of 3 entries under "Multiple Desktops"):
Quote:
Cube
If your graphics card is capable and you have the correct driver for it, it may be possible to set up a cube with a desktop on each face. Here is the procedure:
--Click SystemSettings > Workspace Appearance and Behavior > Desktop Effects
--On the General tab, check Enable Desktop Effects and click Apply at the bottom, ignoring any error message you see
--Switch to the Advanced tab and under Compositing type, use the pulldown menu to change the default rendering engine from --XRender to OpenGL, then click Apply again
--Now switch to the All Effects tab, scroll down about 75% and check Desktop Cube and Desktop Cube Animation, then click Apply
If you see any errors, check that your graphics card is capable and the driver is correct (see Section 5.5).

You do not need to enable Desktop Cube Animation,
Quote:
--Now switch to the All Effects tab, scroll down to Workspace Behavior, and check Desktop Cube, then click Apply
Keyboard shortcut for the cube is Ctrl + F11,
Go back, and select Workspace Behavior > Screen edges, and setup Activate Screen Edge Actions,

Kubuntu KDE 4.11.00 / KDE 4.11.60 / Debian Wheezy KDE 4.10.4 / Plasma Active 3 Tablet

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:34 am

Danum thanked by: Jerry3904
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 290068
It flips so fast it's pretty tough to grab a screen capture of.

IOW, the cube isn't staying suspended or anything. It's just flipping between desktops and you can see the cube shape when it does. I set KSnapshot to a few seconds and it took me about 10 times to capture it in the middle of a flip between desktops. LOL

Here you go:

I also see where you can use CTRL+F11 to show your desktop in a Cube look with an opaque view to the other desktops. But, it's not much to look at. If you go to Settings>Desktop Effects>All effects, you'll see a wrench icon by each effect that you can use for setting short cut keys to available features. It looks like it's got some sphere effects you can setup, too.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:41 am Profile
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post # 290070
OK, found an easier direction:
Quote:
--Now switch to the All Effects tab, type Desktop Cube in the Search Plugins space, check that item, then click Apply

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:06 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post # 290071
Here's using Ctrl+F11 to see the opaque cube, then flipping between them using the middle wheel while that feature is enabled (to see the opaque look). I caught it showing the forum post with the screen capture I just posted. lol

Sorry, my desktop is not much to look at (other than an Analog clock and YAWP, I don't have much on it except for some folders and docs).

Last edited by JimC on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:10 pm
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 733 times
Post # 290072
Quote:
the cube isn't staying suspended or anything. It's just flipping between desktops and you can see the cube shape when it does.

Set it up to work off screen edges,
Quote:
I also see where you can use CTRL+F11 to show your desktop in a Cube look with an opaque view to the other desktops. But, it's not much to look at. If you go to Settings>Desktop Effects>All effects, you'll see a wrench icon by each effect that you can use for setting short cut keys to available features. It looks like it's got some sphere effects you can setup, too.

click on advanced and you can remove the caps, (KDE icon top and bottom,
you can also set a background wallpaper for the cube, but it needs to be a special wallpaper, "Skydome"

Quote:
--Now switch to the All Effects tab, type Desktop Cube in the Search Plugins space, check that item, then click Apply

I would leave it as it is then a user gets to see just what is available

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kubuntu KDE 4.11.00 / KDE 4.11.60 / Debian Wheezy KDE 4.10.4 / Plasma Active 3 Tablet

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:10 pm

Danum thanked by: lucky9, SilverBear
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 892 times
Post # 290093
Those look great.

Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]