View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Runs GREAT when loaded with toram boot code 
MEPIS is cool!
MEPIS is cool!

Have thanks: 29 times
Post # 232049
Post Runs GREAT when loaded with toram boot code
Friends, I have enjoyed running MEPIS since the very beginning - my first MEPIS system was back in May 2003. Back then, MEPIS was fairly small in size and it ran well as a live CD on what is now a very old computer. As that computer got older and MEPIS evolved into SimplyMEPIS, that machine, a Dell Dimension 4100, did not run as nimbly in live mode, but it always ran every version, at least up to (and maybe past) Version 7.0 until I gave the system a long sleep. I no longer have a monitor for that system, but I have it in a corner in case I ever decide to wake it up again.

These days I run current versions of SimplyMEPIS and antiX from two of my laptops, which are already going on three years old. I decided to order the big 32 bit DVD of SimplyMEPIS 8.5 and pick up a six month download subscription along with it.

Today I got my DVD, so I decided to see how well the DVD would run if I attempted to load with the toram boot code. It took about 3 minutes to load the entire DVD into RAM, which is a bit of a long time, but the pay back came after that... man is it FAST now!

I usually just install SimplyMEPIS, but I already have it installed (multiple copies and multiple versions, in fact), so today I just wanted to test the live performance from RAM. My report is just like the report of the many other fine features. It works perfectly, it's fast and nimble, and it's a great way to run especially if you are going to be browsing a lot. It makes Firefox absolutely FLY!

This is now eight years in a row that I've run versions of MEPIS. I do not believe that I've ever missed a version, and out of all the test versions, I've probably missed, at most, one or two. The TEST versions set MEPIS apart just as much, if not more, than the released versions. What other software at EARLY stages of testing JUST WORKS? I've only had two occasions where hardware issues blocked me, and both were on an aging Dell Latitude D600 laptop that used PAE code. I reported the issues I experienced, and the VERY NEXT build had the fix, up and working! Where else but MEPIS could you find such excellent TEST software, and on the rare occasions where problems arise, fast, clean, accurate, and effective fixes are consistently available?

The 8.5 release is the latest in a string of outstanding releases. Since this is the testimonial thread, I can and have waxed on and on about the many great reasons I love it and promote it to all of my friends who will try Linux software!

Thu May 27, 2010 9:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]