View unanswered posts | View unsolved topics | View active topics |

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Convert from Kubuntu. 
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Have thanks: 2 times
Post # 258753
Post Convert from Kubuntu.
:confused: Recently installed Kubuntu (which I'd been using since '07) in a neighbors tower after XP crashed and a reinstall from the CD on hand wouln't validate. The Kubuntu CD ran fine but the install wouldn't boot. After realizing the tower had a 64 bit processor tried Kubuntu Maverick 64. Same issue the install wouldn't boot. Then tried Mepis 8.5 64 and all went well. Upon realizing Mepis still uses Grub 0.97 tried Kubuntu one more time but this time from the live CD installed Grub 0.97 but still wouldn't boot. Posting the issue on their forum with a photo of the error message produce no replies for their community in three days. So Mepis it was for my neighbor. BUT, that's not the end of the story.

My Kubuntu tower since Maverick has had a problem with the .xsession-errors file getting so large--in excess of 15gb in a text file--that I'd have to reboot every few hours. There was one post to their forum from a user having the same problem but no replies from the community. This prompted me to do a clean install of Kubuntu which offered an improvement but still the .xsession-errors file was growing too large too fast. Installing Mepis 8.5 on my Dell Dimension 8300 tower proved to be the cure. Now .xsession-errors grows at a slow maneagable under control rate. Mepis it is. :cool:

When I'm able to free up an extra partition I'll dabble with Mepis 11.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:33 am

johnnyhop thanked by: lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Have thanks: 886 times
Post # 258755
Post Re: Convert from Kubuntu.
Welcome to the mepiscommunity forum. :welcome:

Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:47 am
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Have thanks: 32 times
Post # 280806
This community is great. I would never have been able to make the switch from windows to linux several years ago now, if it were not for this community of very helpful people and their taking time to direct in many many ways. :number1: :party5: :toast:

Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Have thanks: 61 times
Post # 280866
I always try to install something other than Mepis on a new computer, just to experience something new, but I always end up installing Mepis. It just works and if I have any problems then the guys are here to help.

Michel

Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:01 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]